Urban Legend | Teen Ink

Urban Legend

By Rstar24 BRONZE, New York, New York
Rstar24 BRONZE, New York, New York

It was a calm night in the summer. Arnold was home alone in his apartment on the Lower East Side in New York City. His family had all went to the Bahamas for the week and Arnold chose to stay home because he didn’t feel like wasting his precious study time somewhere else. Arnold was in his room, on his computer, researching the history of his neighborhood for fun. He found a lot of intriguing information.

As he stayed up reading all the information he found, it was getting late. But Arnold didn’t have anyone to tell him to go to bed; so instead, he just kept reading online articles. Soon, he got to an old newspaper archive dated 60 years ago. It was talking about his building, and about someone in apartment 13B, the same apartment he was in right then.

Apparently, there used to be a couple living there, claiming they heard noises at night and it had gotten so bad, that they were planning to move. Three days before moving day, they heard voices for the first time. The voices were saying, “Ssssssss We will get you… ssssss... Don’t try to run away. Ssssss.” After that, they were freaked out. They told everyone they knew about what they heard, the next day. No one heard anything from them since. There were rumors ghosts took them away, but there was no evidence left to determine whether or not the rumor was true. When police were called to investigate, they found all of the couple’s belongings and furniture in the apartment, unmoved. But the couple was nowhere to be found...
All of a sudden, Arnold heard a tapping coming from inside his wall. His first thought was of the article he just read... but then he reconsidered it. “I should just go to sleep,” he thought to himself. As he got ready for bed, he felt an unusual chill crawling down his spine. Goosebumps starting prickling up and down his arms. Then he heard it: “Ssssssss We will get you… ssssss... Don’t try to run away. Ssssss.”

“This cannot be happening…” Arnold told himself. Then he started chanting, “There are no such things as ghosts. There are no such things as ghosts. There are no such things as ghosts.” Slowly he went to bed, pulling the covers over him. He felt it was getting too cold to be summer. He kept reassuring himself that he was just hallucinating because it was so late at night, and soon enough, he fell asleep.

Four days later, Arnold’s family came back from vacation. They came earlier than expected because every time they called Arnold to check up on him, they got no answer. Police had to be called in. Yet again no one could find the missing boy. Eventually Arnold’s family had to move away from grief. But if you were to go to apartment 13B today, you probably wouldn’t hear the voices of the ghosts, but Arnold, begging for mercy.

I was just writing from my mind, and I ended up really impressed with the outcome.

Rstar24 BRONZE said...
on Jan. 24 2010 at 12:06 pm
Rstar24 BRONZE, New York, New York
Thanks, I appreciate it

moody said...
on Jan. 21 2010 at 8:51 pm
Very good. I enjoyed reading it.