The Not So Deadly Murder | Teen Ink

The Not So Deadly Murder

By MusicNut123 BRONZE, Missoula, Montana
MusicNut123 BRONZE, Missoula, Montana

Don't follow my footsteps, I walk into walls.

I sat in the back of my classroom, where none of the teachers could see me, and where none of my classmates could get to me, in the far left corner by the cracked window. I liked being there, where no one talked to me. I liked not talking, especially in class.

I often was alone, my parents were workaholics, and my older brother was usually in his room, locked up like a prisoner. I didn’t mind being alone, I was used to it by now.

One day, when I was walking near the pound by my house, I heard voices. They sounded angry, like they were in an argument. Curiosity over came me, so I sneakily ducked under some bushes and crawled over to the voices. In my spot, just in a hole under some shrubs, I could see a scene playing out in front of me.

Three men in black over coats were cornering a gruff looking man. The men in black’s backs were towards me, so I couldn’t see their faces. I imagined their faces being hard, emotionless.

One of the men in black stepped toward the gruff looking man, pushing him back towards the bark pound. The gruff man raised his hands over his face, cowering away. The men looked evil, like they had a horrible plan in store for the gruff looking man. I suddenly wished that I had never let my curiosity over come me. I could tell that this was trouble, and I was in the middle of it.

“Please, I’ll get you the money, I just need more time!” cried the gruff looking man as he cowered away.

“You’ve had all the time you’ve needed, it’s too late now” Said the man in black to the right. He was the tallest of the three.

“Please, I-I…”

“Silence, I’ve had enough of you. You’re no longer needed. Good-bye James.” The man in the middle said.

“No, no, please no! I promise I can do better! I swear, I…”

“That’s enough.” With that, the man in the middle raised his arm, pulling out a gun from his over coat, and shot the gruff looking man named James in the head, then the chest and lest at the heart.

James fell back, into the water. He began to sink down, his blood coloring the water. A scream crept up into my throat; it took all my energy to hold it back.

The men in black turned away from the pound, towards the shrubs and where I was hiding. I dug myself into the bushes even more so, hiding my head under my sweat shirt hood.

This was unbelievable; I had just watched someone die. The look on his face kept on replaying in my mind, his shocked face, the sound of his body hitting the water was filling my mind.

Gravel crunched in front of me. I jumped back into the bush, making a rustling sound.

“Hey, I think there is something under here.” One of the men said. He stuck his hand into the bush, and grabbed me by the hood. He yanked me out and pulled me over to his killing friends.

“Look at this, a little rat. What should we do with it?” one asked, laughing as he saw my face.

“Kill it.” Another said. He took out a gun and held it to my head.

All of the sudden, a foot ball flew through the trees and hit the men with the gun in the face. He yelped and dropped the gun. I took my chance, and ran.

I ran until it hurt. I ran down the path by the pound and out into a soccer field. I gasped for air, leaning down to catch my breath. My eyes began to water, and tears ran down my face.

“Hey, you okay?” asked a boys voice behind me.

I spun around, and stared at the boy in front of me. He was from my class, his name was Alex. He was one of the popular kids.

He raised an eyebrow at me. “Hello? Are you okay?” he asked, waving a hand at me.

“Y-yeah, I’m fine.” I mumbled.

“You sure? Because I had just seen you being cornered by some thugs.”

“You were the one who threw the foot ball?” I asked.

“Yeah, that was me. You were in a lot of trouble huh?” Alex said, smiling at me.

“Yeah, I guess I was. Thank you for your help.” I mumbled.

“So what are you going to do next? How are you going to tell the police?” He asked, walking towards me.

“I don’t know.” I mumbled.

“I have an idea, so if you’re willing, I want to help you get those thugs in jail for life!”

It was decided, Alex and I were going to put the three people who had killed James and almost me, in jail. We went to the police office after school one day, but the police didn’t believe us. They said that they needed some proof that they had killed someone. Alex tried to make them believe us, but he just got kicked out of the station.

Soon, all my hope was draining, but Alex was still as confident as ever. He had a plan.

On spring break, early one morning, we went to the pound were my near death experience had happened. We hid in the bushed for what seemed like hours, but soon, a dark figure shadowed our hiding spot.

One of the men in black walked to the edge of the pound and began to pour gravel into the pound.

“They’re covering up the body.” I whispered.

“On three we run at him!” Alex whispered back.

“No.”

“3…2…1... Attack!” Alex yelled and ran at the man. Alex pushed the man into the pound and ran a little ways away. The man ran after Alex shouting at him.

Alex shoved the man over the stomped on his hands. The man jumped to his feet and began to chase after Alex.

Alex ran down the road yelling insults over his shoulders. The man ran close behind Alex, it looked like he could touch Alex, but the boy was just too fast.

I ran after the man, a ways behind, I was rather frightened.

Alex began out into the soccer field were we had first meet. The man finally caught Alex and yanked him to the ground. I ran out of the trees and tripped. Suddenly I noticed that we were in the middle of a soccer game.

Suddenly, police were everywhere. They grabbed the man in black and began to drag him off the field.

Later, I learned that Alex had told the police that there would be a killer at the soccer game. They came to prove Alex wrong, but when they saw the killer, they knew Alex was telling the truth. The man in black was one of the most wanted people in our state, and when he was interrogated, he spilled about where his fellow murderers hide out was.

Alex and I were rewarded and given the key to the city for the day. We became great friends as well. My life was getting better, and in school I talked more. But I still liked to be alone.

It was surprising, when I had seen the murder; I thought my life was over. But because of the murder, my life had gotten better. Such a horrible thing actually turned out to be good, for me at least. Because of it, I became friends with Alex, and with it, I became brave. It really changed my life.
THE END… FOR NOW…

I wanted to write a mystery about death.I like to write stories about mysteries and cliff hangers. I like to write depressing stories with happy endings!

MeIsAwEsOmE said...
great story, write another?

yokavan said...
on Jan. 19 2010 at 11:52 am
Wow! Your writing just gets better and better! I'm very proud!

Soccerfreak said...
Indigo that was really really cool and it would be awesome if you made a second part, good work.

awesomess said...
Dear Indigo,

That was such an amazing story! I loved it! I hope you will make a second part to it! I really loved this story because it was exciting and incredibly interesting! this story was so clear compared to many other stories i have read. My favorite part is when that boy came along and threw the football at the guy in the black suit right before he was going to pull the trigger. Keep up the good work.

donna said...
This is a great story. The descriptions kept me on the edge of my seat. You kept the tension going. Great use of language. I'm impressed. Would love to read more of your stories.

ronw said...
Really good writing---Delighted!

I <3 skiing said...
great job Indigo! That was a great story

This was a great story! I really loved it!

cool and gripping

doparkour said...
on Jan. 14 2010 at 11:09 am
"fantastic and griping"

on Jan. 14 2010 at 11:03 am
loved it, it was awesome! write more