The Dream | Teen Ink

The Dream

By Sarah22 SILVER, Adair Village, Oregon
Sarah22 SILVER, Adair Village, Oregon

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Running; I run for my life while something I cannot see, a shadow, chases me through the dense forest by my house. I scream but no sound leaves my lips. I trip over a fallen tree, “keep going” I tell myself, “a little bit faster and I can get away”. I try my hardest, but I cannot bring myself to believe that I can get away from this monster. Maybe if I hide it won’t find me, so I duck underneath a rotten log covered with moss and insects. I can hear the monster’s foot steps drawing nearer to me. All sounds are gone; I peek out of the log. The monster jumps out from behind a thick red tree and grabs me around my neck. I stare transfixed at the body and face of my attacker, it is no monster. It is him, “AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!” I scream, and sit bolt upright; breathing heavily I thank the stars the dream did not really happen. I slowly creep downstairs, hoping that I didn’t wake anyone up with my scream, to get some water. At the sink, glass in hand, I look out the window and see a shadow pass. Rolling my eyes, just a cat, I go to the sliding glass door to let it in. The shadow isn’t the cat; a person is facing me, hooded and cloaked. I start running towards the front door, and the shadow follows me as I run into the forest; I realize this feels just like my dream; I run, I hide, and I peek out. The monster grabs me just as it did in my dream. I pull the hood down from the monster’s hood revealing him. A monster hid under this hood, but not a Disney monster, a monster of a man. I scream with every breath I have left, the sound carries through the forest, and I pray someone will hear me. He drops me and whispers to me while I catch my breath, “You won’t always have that pretty voice of yours to save you.” I get up and start to back away, and he watches me leave, making no move to stop me. I turn and run; I run with everything I have to safety, not knowing if I will make it back before I collapse from exhaustion. I feel as though I have been running for hour, my legs ache and my heart burns, I hear someone calling my name right before I fall.

This piece was a new experience to me and I think it was an exciting way to try a different writing style.