house of horror | Teen Ink

house of horror

By Mariah Watson BRONZE, Herndon, Virginia
Mariah Watson BRONZE, Herndon, Virginia

"Wake up, time for school!" My mother screamed from downstairs. I groaned with exhaustion and tugged the covers over my head.
"I'm not here.." I said, mumbling to myself.
"Rise and shine, baby girl. Oops, can't call you baby anymore, my big bad senior," She smiled down warmly at me.
"Mom, I've been a senior for about a couple of months now. Aren't you used to it yet?" She gently pulled the blankets from my face and laughed. "My big bad senior of three months with bed hair," I sighed and laid back down. "You'll be fine, kiddo," She said as she ruffled my hair and skipped out of my room as if she was the kid again. My mouth couldn't help but form a smile at the sight of her. That's my crazy mother, Mommy dear.
I tripped out of bed and went to the closet. What to wear, what to wear? I thought as I heard the screeching of hangers on the rail. Looking at all the options to mix and match clothes with, I pulled out a pair of faded blue jeans and a light purple shirt. I'm feeling lazy today. Wrapping my hair into an updo, and applying, well okay, a little makeup, I winked at the mirror and said, "Good enough for me." I turned to go out of my bedroom door when I heard a strange, gentle tapping. The tapping became more intense as I walked to my window. In confusion, I pulled the curtains away and revealed the culprit. A boy, about seventeen, was throwing pebbles at my window and I knew him all too well.
"Kyle, what are you doing here?"
"I'm here to suggest project ideas and give you a lift," He beamed with pride as he rolled his bike over to give me a better view.
"A bicycle? You expect me, a senior in high school, to ride to school, where everyone can see me, in a bicycle?" I said as I raised my left eyebrow.
"Well, it's better than the public bus that is filled with creepy people," He shuddered. " And as I said, we need to discuss our project for our History class," He tapped the bicycle seat. "Come on."
"Okay, but how'd you get out of school?"
"I was really," Kyle leaned in for emphasis. "sick," He said with a laugh.
"Alright, I'll be sick too," I said chuckling. "I'll be downstairs soon," And with that, I ran into the bathroom and pulled out the blowdryer. I set it on high and blasted it on my forehead. Although it made my hair extremely frizzy, it did a terrific job of getting my head hot. After I was done, I went into bed and started sniffing.
"Moooom," I moaned, trying to sound really sick. As soon as I called for her, she came sauntering in with a joyous look on her face.
"Hey sweetie, did you want something?" She looked at me and then said, "Why are you in bed? Do you not feel well?" A motherly concerned facial expression came across her face as she hastened to my bedside.
"I'm sick," I faked a cough and sighed.
"Oh, babygirl," She placed the back of her hand on my forehead. "You are a tad warm," Thank you blowdryer. "Want to stay home today?"
"Yes please, Mommy." I sniffed and coughed a bit more to seal the deal.
"Okay, I'll be going to work then. Feel better, honey." She smiled at me and walked out of my room. I waited until I heard her footsteps go down the stairs, out of the front door, and into a car. As soon as I heard he car drove away, I got up and rushed downstairs to find an impatient Kyle.
"I had to hide from your mom. She almost ran me over, dear God! What took so long?" Kyle wheeled his bike over with an angry look on his face.
"Sorry, I had to prove to her I was sick, "I said with a shrug. "So, where are we going? You said you'd give me a lift somewhere."
"We're going to that old, abandoned place down the street. Maybe we could find some history of it and the town at the same time. Am I not a genius? An exciting project, who would've thought?" As Kyle said this, a radiant sense of pride shined in his eyes.
"Isn't that a little cliche?" I said flipping my golden hair out of my eyes.
"I've always wondered what it'd be like to be in a horror film," He said smirking.
"Then it's decided, let's go to the house of horror." I ambled over to Kyle's bike as he gave me an extra helmet he brought over. Strapping it on, I hopped on the bars of the back of the bike. When we were good and ready, he peddled off.
Shortly after, we arrived to the old house. Kyle pushed down the kickstand and got off the bike. I got off as well, took off the hemlet, and shook my hair.
"It's a great place to explore, ain't it?" Kyle grinned as he observed the enormous building with it's antique designs and omnious feel to it.
"I guess so," I began combing my hair with my fingers. "Ugh, that ride totally ruined my hair."
"Oh come on, you look fine," He put his hands on my head and rubbed them around.
"Hey!" I slapped his hand and tried to comb my hair again. He laughed and started walking to the front door. As I saw him strolling along to the front door, I realized how bad that would be and that there was a back door.
"Wait, no!" I grabbed his arm to stop him.
"What's up?" He turned around and looked at me.
"You can't just walk in the front door," I said with bulged eyes, "They'll," My eyes went to focus on the house. "expect it," I finished with my eyes focused back on Kyle.
"They?" Kyle raised his eyebrow.
"Yes, they. Just in case, please?" I looked at his from under my eyelashes, trying to copy that puppy dog look my mother had played on me once before.
"Alright, fine." And with that, we walked over to the back door together.