The Ring

“I’ll never let you go, I just love you so!” I smiled, singing as I cooked dinner. Everything couldn’t be better. I’ve got a delicious turkey, mashed potatoes drowned in gravy, and bright purple cranberry sauce. Opening the refrigerator I peered inside.
“I’ll love you to the very end. You’ll be there, my forever friend!” I sang, loud and cheerfully. I twirled around and began to dance. Until I saw that James was there.
“Oh!” I cried out in surprise. James didn’t smile. Blushing, I closed the refrigerator door.
“What’s the matter, James?” I said as I kissed him on the cheek. James motioned for me to sit down. I could tell that this was serious and took a seat. Leaning forward I asked him,
“Come on, tell me the secret. We’ve known each other long enough, have we not?” James shook his head and looked down. Quizzically I looked into his eyes. His deep blue, luxurious eyes; eyes that I’ve wanted for so long. For too long.
“It’s Eliza. She…she was found. In the forest.” James said, his voice shaking uncontrollably. It was the day after the proposal when Eliza had disappeared. She had gone on her usual night walk. Everything had gone so well. James and Eliza had gotten engaged! James had gotten her the most beautiful ring. A marvelous blue diamond, clear as the blue sky, had been placed on her finger. This was the happiest day of their lives! Then Eliza and the ring never came back. Ever since then, I’ve been spending more time with James, hoping…
We looked for her, for a week straight. We never found her. With James crying on my shoulder, he accepted that she was gone. Now, Thanksgiving, this had to happen. I was furious! Why did they have to find her? For god’s sake, it’s Thanksgiving! Quickly putting the anger away, I let the long awaited sadness wave through me. Taking James’s hand into mine, I whispered,
“I’m so sorry, James. I really, truly am.” I started to rub his hand, trying to be a good person. But really, what was I supposed to do in this kind of situation? I looked deep into his eyes and watched them widen.
“James, what’s wrong?” I asked. James just stared at my hand in horror. Quickly letting go of my hand, he stood up.
“You…you have the ring!” James cried in terror. I smiled.

aajj said...
it was very mysterious (thats is a good thing)

LLLOVeme2 said...
Sept. 30, 2009 at 11:04 am:
I thought this was a fantastic story with a thrilling twist for the end. Great job!!!!

Lia N. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Thank all of you so much! You're comments were very helpful and I've done some revising to this piece. With every comment, you made my day! Thank you so much! :)

Rachel G. said...
one thing to say its FABLOUS!!!

stella bella said...
It was creepy but i really liked it because it had great detail, and the ending was surprising and awesome. great job!

kaylissa said...
We loved ur story very much. It had very good detail with good word choice. You should have added a little more to the ending though.

Bella T said...
i think that you should write more to the ending of this story. it was amazing

bananalover said...
I thought your story was great it was very detailed i thought the ending was mysterious :-^

Green boss said...
Sept. 29, 2009 at 9:32 am:
This story was amazing. It left me wanting more. So you should write more

Doubles3 said...
The ending was good. It left me wanting more
Keep writing

jessi said...
Sept. 26, 2009 at 11:12 am:
liked the ending, very O. Henry, but would like to have more word variety, more detail. good plot though

Maddie H. said...
Sept. 26, 2009 at 12:34 am:
This is reaaaly goodd!!!! I love the ending. FABULOUS!

p gossett said...
Sept. 25, 2009 at 11:35 am:
it was ok i guess

pgossett replied...
Oct. 17, 2009 at 12:53 pm :
im sorry i was kidding it was realllllllllly good pece

Lia N. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 13, 2009 at 1:07 am :
haha don't worry about it :) thanks