The Ring

“I’ll never let you go, I just love you so!” I smiled, singing as I cooked dinner. Everything couldn’t be better. I’ve got a delicious turkey, mashed potatoes drowned in gravy, and bright purple cranberry sauce. Opening the refrigerator I peered inside.
“I’ll love you to the very end. You’ll be there, my forever friend!” I sang, loud and cheerfully. I twirled around and began to dance. Until I saw that James was there.
“Oh!” I cried out in surprise. James didn’t smile. Blushing, I closed the refrigerator door.
“What’s the matter, James?” I said as I kissed him on the cheek. James motioned for me to sit down. I could tell that this was serious and took a seat. Leaning forward I asked him,
“Come on, tell me the secret. We’ve known each other long enough, have we not?” James shook his head and looked down. Quizzically I looked into his eyes. His deep blue, luxurious eyes; eyes that I’ve wanted for so long. For too long.
“It’s Eliza. She…she was found. In the forest.” James said, his voice shaking uncontrollably. It was the day after the proposal when Eliza had disappeared. She had gone on her usual night walk. Everything had gone so well. James and Eliza had gotten engaged! James had gotten her the most beautiful ring. A marvelous blue diamond, clear as the blue sky, had been placed on her finger. This was the happiest day of their lives! Then Eliza and the ring never came back. Ever since then, I’ve been spending more time with James, hoping…
We looked for her, for a week straight. We never found her. With James crying on my shoulder, he accepted that she was gone. Now, Thanksgiving, this had to happen. I was furious! Why did they have to find her? For god’s sake, it’s Thanksgiving! Quickly putting the anger away, I let the long awaited sadness wave through me. Taking James’s hand into mine, I whispered,
“I’m so sorry, James. I really, truly am.” I started to rub his hand, trying to be a good person. But really, what was I supposed to do in this kind of situation? I looked deep into his eyes and watched them widen.
“James, what’s wrong?” I asked. James just stared at my hand in horror. Quickly letting go of my hand, he stood up.
“You…you have the ring!” James cried in terror. I smiled.

aer0cean This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
ooooo very creepy. good job :)

SportyZo77 said...
I LOVED IT! It would be so awesome if you could stretch this out and make it a book. I would read it LOL.

It's-Jeff said...
Haha very clever, I liked it! It was short and sweet and it was very good.
Awesome job.

maguirre said...
sweet this is great.

Arpanan said...
Nov. 20, 2009 at 10:40 am
Hey! Lia, I'm so sorry for rating your story one star! It's really good, and I was just teasing you, so don't be sad! I love you (as a friend)!!!
xoxoxo Arpana

Natalie P. said...
Nov. 17, 2009 at 10:57 am
Lia, this story is great!! You rock. :D

Shea_N. said...
Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:42 am
Excellent story! Keep writing!

legolas_elf said...
this was awesome, loved the twist in the end, great job amazing it totally deserved to be top voted i rated it 5 stars all the way

Lia N. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 13, 2009 at 10:54 am
haha arpana! I know ur joking!

Nov. 13, 2009 at 1:06 am
Oh my gosh you guys! Thank you so much! My article is officially number one in thriller mystery! I was so excited when I found out! Thank you so much!

palumbie said...
This passage is such an exciting and remarkable story. At a time in the passage, an indication gave me a clue about Eliza in the woods. A clue that gave me a certain thought was when you said, “It’s Eliza. She…she was found. In the forest.” James said”. It gave me that thought that she could be dead. Next, I was also a bit confused when he said that she had the ring. Did that mean it was a bad or good thing that she had the ring? Is that why Eliza ran away into th... (more »)

Mrs.Taco said...
This was a great piece you put a lot of thought into this story. GREAT JOB!

MissBlondie said...
WOW. this was like the greatest story ever!

Ar-panda said...
Great Job Lia! You are sooooo good! And so talented! I love the twist!

lagov said...
One word to describe this story, amazing! This was thrilling story from start to finish. In the story it sated, “I’ll never let you go, I just love you so!” When I first read that I though she was talking to someone which she was not. In that part of the story I started to become intrigued. Later in the story it states, “It’s Eliza. She…she was found. In the forest.” When I read that I thought that she had died but didn’t know why. Throughout th... (more »)

hanksa said...
Wow! What an exciting story! It was thrilling from beginning to end. I like the part where she said,"I'll never let you go, I just love you so much." I thought she was talking to someone, but she was talking to her Thanksgiving dinner. My one question when I was reading was what happened to Eliza? In the story,"The Ring" it said that she was found in the forest dead. The other girl was trying to comfort James because he was upset that his girlfriend, in which he proposed... (more »)

TeamJacobArchuleta said...
I LOVED IT! You had my attention from beginning to end! And I especially loved the ending, very shocking! I hope that there will be more added onto this story, it's really good!

TigerLynn said...
This is a really good piece of work! KEEP WRITING YOU ARE VERY TALENTED

Quaglieria said...
Wow! What an exciting story! It was thrilling from beginning to end. I like the part where she said,"I'll never let you go, I just love you so much." I thought she was talking to someone, but she was talking to her Thanksgiving dinner. My one question when I was reading was what happened to Eliza? In the story,"The Ring" it said that she was found in the forest dead. The other girl was trying to comfort James because he was upset that his girlfriend, in which he ... (more »)

cookie said...
uh what? Thats creepy. if you actually did that, WOW