The Ring | Teen Ink

The Ring

By Lia Newman SILVER, Lake Oswego, Oregon
Lia Newman SILVER, Lake Oswego, Oregon

“I’ll never let you go, I just love you so!” I smiled, singing as I cooked dinner. Everything couldn’t be better. I’ve got a delicious turkey, mashed potatoes drowned in gravy, and bright purple cranberry sauce. Opening the refrigerator I peered inside.
“I’ll love you to the very end. You’ll be there, my forever friend!” I sang, loud and cheerfully. I twirled around and began to dance. Until I saw that James was there.
“Oh!” I cried out in surprise. James didn’t smile. Blushing, I closed the refrigerator door.
“What’s the matter, James?” I said as I kissed him on the cheek. James motioned for me to sit down. I could tell that this was serious and took a seat. Leaning forward I asked him,
“Come on, tell me the secret. We’ve known each other long enough, have we not?” James shook his head and looked down. Quizzically I looked into his eyes. His deep blue, luxurious eyes; eyes that I’ve wanted for so long. For too long.
“It’s Eliza. She…she was found. In the forest.” James said, his voice shaking uncontrollably. It was the day after the proposal when Eliza had disappeared. She had gone on her usual night walk. Everything had gone so well. James and Eliza had gotten engaged! James had gotten her the most beautiful ring. A marvelous blue diamond, clear as the blue sky, had been placed on her finger. This was the happiest day of their lives! Then Eliza and the ring never came back. Ever since then, I’ve been spending more time with James, hoping…
We looked for her, for a week straight. We never found her. With James crying on my shoulder, he accepted that she was gone. Now, Thanksgiving, this had to happen. I was furious! Why did they have to find her? For god’s sake, it’s Thanksgiving! Quickly putting the anger away, I let the long awaited sadness wave through me. Taking James’s hand into mine, I whispered,
“I’m so sorry, James. I really, truly am.” I started to rub his hand, trying to be a good person. But really, what was I supposed to do in this kind of situation? I looked deep into his eyes and watched them widen.
“James, what’s wrong?” I asked. James just stared at my hand in horror. Quickly letting go of my hand, he stood up.
“You…you have the ring!” James cried in terror. I smiled.

smurf1128 said...
on Aug. 21 2012 at 10:34 am
smurf1128, Chester, Virginia

"Life is like a box of chocolates... you never know what you're gonna get"
-Forest Gump

Nice twist at the end. I loved it!

Dynamo DIAMOND said...
on Mar. 22 2012 at 11:51 am
Dynamo DIAMOND, Lahore, Other

I used to think falling in love would be personal. But it's all a big public show.

Really nice i really liked it

will u rate my work also? do so and ell me.

on Aug. 14 2011 at 1:12 am
Lia Newman SILVER, Lake Oswego, Oregon
I don't write much anymore, but everytime I read these comments they motivate me and make me so happy! Thank you everybody.

siddielee said...
siddielee, Charlotte, North Carolina

"Death is everything" - Resident Evil

That was a great story! You inspire me :-)

booklover104 BRONZE, Stockton, California

I have a couple of quotes i like... \"Success is not a doorway it\'s a staircase\"
2. \"Everything happens for a reason\"
3.\"Your worth consists in what you are and not in what you have\"-Thomas Edison

Good short story. I knew she was evil as soon as I read the word, blushed. I love it, it is short and sweet. =)

on Apr. 26 2011 at 11:41 am
IncorrectlyWired GOLD, Milford, Virginia

"No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness." - Aristotle

Very good twist. I like the non-chalant way that the character acts. She is obviously completely insane. Even before you get to the end you think, "Why on earth is she thinking about trying to get with him right after his fiance died?" It was creepy and well written.

C.Michelle1295 SILVER, Denton, Texas

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it" -Marylin Monroe
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" - phillipians 4:13

Oh my gosh she already said she was sorry. Geez! You did a great job on this story. And I really liked it.(:

bigbrother1971, Miami, Florida
hey lia n. that was one of the best pieces i've read in a very long time

on Jan. 5 2011 at 10:44 am
vampiresrock GOLD, Cornish, New Hampshire

When life gives you oranges, make grape juice and sit back and let the world wounder how the hell you just did that.

WOW! LOVED IT!

this book was awesomer than awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

on Oct. 31 2010 at 11:18 am
whateverjuliet BRONZE, Miami, Florida

true love never dies,it only gets stronger with time.

i did get why she had the ring!!! omg this story was good!

glue4 said...
on Sep. 19 2010 at 6:18 am
Thats so disrespectful to GOD, u shoud know how to spell it!

AsIAm PLATINUM said...
on Sep. 14 2010 at 11:14 am
AsIAm PLATINUM, Somewhere, North Carolina

"According to some, heroic deaths are admirable things. (Generally those who don't have to do it. Politicians and writers spring to mind.) I've never been convinced by this argument, mainly because, no matter how cool, stylish, composed, unflappable, manly, or defiant you are, at the end of the day you're also dead. Which is a little too permanent for my liking." — Jonathan Stroud (Ptolemy's Gate)

Let's just say a certain jealous girl understands how murder can be a crime of passion...

R3iiNA said...
on Jul. 13 2010 at 9:32 am
R3iiNA, Aurora, Colorado
umm i dont get why the girl has the ring. and why does she smile? but after that everything was good!!!

ReadWriteBreathe PLATINUM, Pocatello, Idaho

"You have to consider the possibility that God does not like you" Tyler Durden Fight Club

This was such a good story. I absolutely LOVED it. The ending was amazing! Keep up the good work.

Canfani BRONZE said...
Canfani BRONZE, San Bernardino, California

Writing can lead to words, dimensions...

Well, Lia N. you are a fantastic writer. IT WUZ AWESOME! The story was a true thriller/mystery.

Lia Newman SILVER, Lake Oswego, Oregon
haha thank you! I love Lois Duncan's work. I am 13 years old. 

Lia Newman SILVER, Lake Oswego, Oregon
Sorry if I offended anybody without capitalizing "God". I didn't mean to. That is not the focus of the story, so please do not focus on that. But thank you for letting me know. 

ashbadash BRONZE, Ocala, Florida

Friends are like glue, they always stick by your side.

OMG that was awesome. I knew there was something fishy happening when she said "Why did they have to find her". It was very suspenseful and thrilling. I luved it!

on May. 30 2010 at 10:25 am
Mimi Mustapha BRONZE, Antioch, California
That was Omg amazing how old are you you should become the next Lois duncan author