Eye of the Tiger | Teen Ink

Eye of the Tiger

September 6, 2009
By laurennnnnxo84 GOLD, Cottage Grove, Minnesota
laurennnnnxo84 GOLD, Cottage Grove, Minnesota
10 articles 4 photos 4 comments

Jeez, my head hurts. I struggle to open my eyes, vanquishing the dark from my vision. Specks of color flutter into sight; pale white, tan, blue. The smell, a cleanliness feel, and sights all seem unfamiliar to me. I do not know who I am, where I came from, or where exactly I am.

As I try to grasp the sense of opening my eyes my body scrunches over, contorting into ways almost alien to me. I begin slipping away, unable to hold the claim on my body. Then, with a flutter-like movement, I gracefully gain ground. I stare at the lifeless body of a young, beautiful brunette. Her soft, delicate lips are unmoving, chest heaving, tubes attached to every spot you could think of. Ladies and gentleman rush in and out of the room that serves as her captor. I begin to see silent tears make a way down a child's face and immediately feel tied to this stranger. He shuffles across the room silently, unnoticed, and makes an imprint upon the bed. He takes her hand lightly in his, whispers, “I will not let them take you away,” and gently kisses her forehead. He looks at the monitors, a sigh erupting across his face, and slides his hand across the life support tubes. In all his worries, his thoughts are shown directly.

A voice of exasperation overthrows the emotion filling this room, “Charlie! Come here!” The boy, Charlie, softly paces out the doors as his mom explains as to why he can't go in there. Too not remember his sister that way.

And as if it could've been any clearer than the day is outside, realization hits. The stunning brunette, that's me. The little boy? My brother. The high-pitched voice from outside? My mother.

I began dreaming of the life we must've had as I drifted towards the doors. Then the bus of utter disgust stabbed me in the back because there, in my mother's hands, sat papers of consent. On September 30th they we're pulling the plug. I frantically searched for a calendar, cursing my mom, to finding out it was merely September 23rd, which left me all but a week to save my own life. Although, how was I to go about saving my life?

Okay, lay down in the body, like Just Like Heaven. Dang, that didn't work in the movie, doesn't work here. Hmph, jump on three, one, two.. THREE! Ahhhh! Jeez what a view from under this bed.

Alright, so this isn't working. What am I supposed to do? I can't let myself die! I have no idea what I am doing, let alone how I got into this coma. Just then a doctor walked through my room, went over to lifeless me, chuckled and said, “One more week.” Could this possibly be the solution to keeping my own life?