Star | Teen Ink

Star

August 5, 2009
By Pagan_Stephanie BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Pagan_Stephanie BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 3 comments

At night I'd look out through my bedroom window and get lost in a surplus of thoughts about the world from my perspective. Then, one night my mind became fixated on a peculiar bat I spotted circling the sky. In truth, this wasn't that unusual growing up in Texas, only on this bat I was able to discern a distinctive scar on the left side of its lower belly, just below its left wing. When the bat flew low enough, I could make it out. The mark took the shape of a star and appeared to be glowing. As were the bat's eyes, which had a reddish sort of glow. After a time consuming moment of wonder I convinced myself it was normal. "it's just a bat" I thought. Until I realized it's persistence to show up each night, which lead to this gnawing curiosity. "Where had the bat come from? What was it doing? Most of all, Where had it gotten that diverse mark from?" Each question reiterating themselves in the back of my mind.
It became evident I needed information, so every evening I went to my neighborhood library, fervently in search of anything that could assist in explaining this disparate creature. Book after book and still no success. Then, during my last visit I spotted a big black, leather covered book placed on one of the tables, entitled "Journey Into Witchcraft". Normally I'd have no absorption or interests what so ever in this type of book, but for some outlandish reason at that moment I was drawn to it, like there was an intense energy compelling me. So I walked over and opened the big book, scanning each page carefully as if I were looking for something important. On one page I observed an image of a man balancing what looked like a plate on top of his head while bowed, sitting in a pretzel like form, and dressed in a black cloak with an overly large hood that covered his head making his face shaded, and left only a clear view of his bright red eyes. The man's hands were folded at the peak of his chin, and tattooed on his left hand was a star, inscribed in the middle of it, was a sentence that read "I invoke thee! Bind my soul to the power of the wiccan." I was perplexed in my enthrallment of the meager bat that stood on his fingertips, facing him, appearing to be bowed likewise, and had its wings spread widely, with the exact same star as the bat I had been visioning these past few weeks.
Considering the coercion pushing me further and further into the book I flipped, page after page, saw images much like the first, and more writing I believed to be séances or spells. After minutes of page turning I ceased at a quaint picture of a child with wings. It was the image that caused the most immersion or foci because the child in the picture was a mirror-image of me, only with wings and a star engraved in her left hand as well. The top of the page read "A Child in the midst of darkness shall be born to us." My entire body began to tremble at the thoughts that began to manifests themselves in my mind, the fear that set in caused a tremor of hesitation and faintheartedness, which ultimately lead into the release of the big book from my grasp. Right then, as I watched the book silently fall to the ground my left hand filled with the most inflamed burning sensation imaginable which caused me to tightly ball up my fist and squeeze my fingertips into the palm of my hand. As I heard the sonorous bang of the book meeting the floor the pain vanished simultaneously. I hesitantly gazed down at my palm, while slowly releasing my tight grip, and saw lit like a flame "The Star." In that instant, my life changed eternally!

The author's comments:
This piece is dedicated to my father. The man who gave me my EYES with which i see the world as a completely different place, my MIND with which i envision this unique world, and my WORDS with which i can share this world with my own! I love you dad!"