Silent Witness | Teen Ink

Silent Witness

November 5, 2023
By Anonymous

Wailing voices clamored in Clarissa's head. Through the tinted windows of the train, she could still see the gaping mouths and glowing eyes. The murky waters down below made her nauseous and made her want to whip her head around. But she couldn’t. She tried as hard as she could until tears ran down her face, but something kept her head turned, demanding her to see the horrors outside. Her nails were making deep gouges on the blue leather-covered seats, yet she watched. She watched everything. She watched as writhing little bodies drowned again and again and again… only bubbles left to show any evidence of them. Some of them had their mouths open in silent screams and were clawing at their faces in a desperate bid for escape.

         She was sure her heart would explode with each time it squeezed. Her breath hiccuped when she saw the ones with their hands together and silently pleaded with her to save them. Others let themselves burn and pointed at others and pleaded with beseeching eyes. But she couldn’t do anything. She didn’t do anything. She just watched. And each time, she tried looking at a different black-tubed window. But all of them showed the same scene, over and over and over again. All of them showed slow deaths. All of them showed suffering. All of them showed fate.

         Suddenly, the whole train car jolted. The train accelerated, moving faster and faster as the thunderous roar of the wheels on the track became louder and louder. Events unfolded in a chaotic blur. Her breathing quickened as bodies rose and sank in a dance, flames burst out suddenly, and voices ran around her head in a chant. The last vestiges of the nightmare faded as a radiant, glowing bright light flooded through the windows. This is it, she thought.


The author's comments:

         I tried to incorporate symbolism, the process of using characters/objects as symbols. My set piece serves to emphasize the constant cycle of people watching the struggles of others until they are doomed to the same fate. Many of us have seen the ads about people in Syria or Ukraine who are deprived of necessities such as clean water and newborns who are dying at birth because of starvation. However, our attention span only lasts for the first 6 seconds and we just click the little button that says “Skip Ad.”

         In my story, the main character, Clarissa, from inside a locked train, watches the struggles of others but she doesn’t do anything and just watches which is meant to symbolize the consequences of inaction. At times, she even tries to look at a different window to ignore the scene in front of her but is unable to. I like the fact that the main character is stuck watching the scene in my story which highlights her desperation to look away, the way we turn a blind eye to the poverty-ridden streets of India, Sudan, Yemen, Mali, etc. A little detail that is supposed to add to my meaning is that throughout the story, the creatures that are outside are always referred to as “them”, never by name which hints at dehumanization. They are grouped into one, the way we refer to the homeless, physically and mentally handicapped, and jobless that clutter the streets of the most forgotten places.