The Empty Mall | Teen Ink

The Empty Mall

By Austin_Lo BRONZE, Cupertino, California
Austin_Lo BRONZE, Cupertino, California

“Mom, can I have this for my birthday?” the boy asked, turning around and holding a box of Legos to face his mom.

To his surprise, his mom wasn’t there. “Mom,” he said louder this time.

He knew they came to the mall early, but he was sure he had seen some people walking around on their way to the toy store. But there’s no one in sight.

The boy headed toward the left where the toy cars were, still clutching the Lego box in his right hand. He reached the end of the aisle and looked both ways. 

“Mom. Mom. Mom!” he almost shouted.

His heart started to pump in his chest. He turned into another aisle. This aisle was full of mean-looking robots. He still couldn’t read all the words written on the boxes but they all started with the letter “T”. He walked faster and faster. The Lego box in his hand shook and it made a sound that startled him. 

He reached the other end and muttered, “Mom. Mom.” 

Still, no one was there. 

He saw something in the corner of his eye in the next aisle and ran towards it. As he came closer, he saw that this aisle sold costumes. There was a row of masks. Big and mean, all with hollowed eyes, all steering down at him. He walked faster, almost running. When he reached the end, the pink fluttering skirt he thought was his mom was a princess costume.

Tears began to well up in his eyes. “Mom. Mom!”

Still holding the Lego box in his hand, he began to run. He was looking forward but he could still see the pink boxes on his left and right. He thought they might be Barbie dolls. He knew Barbie dolls because his sister used to play with them. But these seem to be different. Somehow, they look like they’re laughing at him. Laughing at this lost boy holding a Star Wars Lego box and running around the empty mall. 

He began to cry. At first, it was a weep. Then, it became a wail.

“I’m here.” a voice said to his left.

The boy ran his hand across his eye. He blinked a few times to see his mom wearing the same pink dress and holding a plastic pumpkin. 

“I told you to stay put. Are you okay?” she said,