We the Maids | Teen Ink

We the Maids

June 26, 2009
By Madelyn BRONZE, Longmont, Colorado
Madelyn BRONZE, Longmont, Colorado
4 articles 0 photos 15 comments

Night by night she spent the hours, passing by at their naturally swift haste ceiled in the isolation of her chambers. We the maids were concerned of her safety, for she would not call an order to the food we had prepared by her own commands. She had not yet summoned us to place her food by the door, before which she would normally snatch it. If ever we caught a glimpse of her, we could have sworn we saw her giggling under the shade of her bonnet. Her hair was frightfully wretched. Twas loose, hanging from the bun in which she wore it. What, we questioned, could be the source of her agonized laughter? We would creep up the creaking stairs, straining our ears to hear her chortling. We'd peak through a small hole in her door. It was small enough, but big enough for our eyes. We only saw the dim illumination. What, oh what could be so gay about a moment like this? What could be the cause of such raw entertainment? For there was no man to wait upon her in these late hours, surely? Lady Kale was known not for a greed for men, but rather, for a greed for beauty and lust. Beauty seemed all she minded, which made it all the more uncharacteristic for her to be acting so daft. Every once in a while, she would speak a sentence: something that made no sense. Something we did not comprehend. For it was simply robbed of meaning. It was as if she were speaking to herself, or for that matter, holding a very airy conversation with the atmosphere.

Her funeral was arranged the night after. Her cause of death was pronounced insanity after the loss of her dear Sir Hobbs, one of her darling friends, a very nice suitor. Rumor had it she had been driven to insanity, and somehow killed herself, innocent enough not to have left a mark, but a small bloody tissue resting on her shelf. But secretly, we the maids knew all too well what terrible and peculiar fate Lady Kale had been doomed to, for the answer arrived at our doorstep in the form of a letter. Evidentially, she had willingly agreed to a dentist appointment, and demanded that, to ease the pain of a pulled tooth, the dentists put her on a very high dosage of Nitrus Oxide. It explained rather well the bloody tissue.