Take Off Your Shoes | Teen Ink

Take Off Your Shoes

On a particularly sunny and breezy day two friends , Katherine and Connor, walk up the entryway to a seemingly ominous looking mansion. The year was 1943 and the place was Lewiston, Idaho. Katherine and Connor had just got out of school and were about to investigate a missing person report in hopes of claiming a reward for finding them. 

Connor is extremely nervous about going into the mansion because he believes in the supernatural and thinks that there might be something otherworldly going on inside of the building. Katherine, an especially rebellious young woman, is pushing Connor to go in with her with the threat of telling their friends that Connor doesn’t like beef. 

They reach the overly large door that radiates gloom and despair. Katherine knocks as if someone is home but knows full well that there is nobody around. To the friends' surprise the door swings open eerily and slowly as she knocks. It creaks ominously as a pitch black room opens up in front of them and Katherine pushes Connor in despite him being bigger than her. Connor reminds Katherine that this place has been abandoned for years and that anything could have happened since the time it was left. Katherine waves off his dumb remarks and grabs the flashlight out of the sack on Connors back. She flips the switch and the room illuminates, revealing a beautiful chandelier and a table made of marble with chairs that look as if they are thrones built for kings and queens to sit at. The two friends look at each other in awe of what they have found believing that this will solve all of their problems with or without the reward. Dismissing the sign that says in bold letters, TAKE OFF YOUR SHOES PLEASE, Katherine walked into the next room. Connor goes up the stairs to look for something because he already knows what Katherine would tell his friends if he didn’t. 

Upstairs Connor finds two rooms across a long hallway from each other, one is a library, one like he has never seen, It has bookshelves going from top to bottom of the room and it has a second floor inside the room with the same size shelves. The other room was a bedroom with a huge bed that was bigger than his room at home and the size of the room was comparable to his entire house. He was snooping around the bedroom when he heard a dull thud behind him. Despite his suspicions he shrugged it off assuming that it was just Katherine downstairs making noise. 

As Connor was looking under the bed he felt a small touch on shoulder and flipped. He jumped up and ran out of the room, once out in the hallway he yelled for Katherine and spun around to shine his flashlight on whatever was in the room. 

He was upstairs looking like a crying baby Katherine thought. She knew that there was nothing in the building and was annoyed now that Connor kept acting like there was something else going on. She called him down the stairs though he did not hear her due to how loud he was still screaming. So she walked calmly up the stairs and started towards a very loud and annoying Connor. Then she saw it, gentle hazel eyes staring back at the two friends with an ironically grim smile to go with them. There was no face but the eyes seemed very human and they stared as if nothing were odd about its appearance. The smile was what was putting Katherine off, It entranced her and made her skin crawl. 

Connor was filled with uncontrollable fear. Sprinting away, he wasn’t paying attention to where he was going so he didn’t notice the giant hole in the wall. It was a massive oval in the side of the wall that had broken glass lined along the edge, It was a broken stained glass window that was now the cause of Connors death, That and his deathly fear of the ghost in the bedroom. Connor had fallen out of the window and landed on an unfortunately placed spike that sat on top of the fence as a design. 

Katherine could not believe what she just saw but she had no time to contemplate what just happened. She dashed away from the ominous eyes and its smile and found the nearest room to hide in. She swung the door open and ran inside unaware of what she was running into. She jumped onto what appeared to be a shelf. Outside the particularly tiny room she heard calm footsteps and a soft voice. The voice was soothing but the words were demanding the ghost was saying TAKE YOUR SHOES OFF PLEASE. All Katherine could do was look around and take in her surroundings while laughing at her own stupidity for getting herself into this. She saw a jacket in the tiny room and she looked at the tag. VENOOSE it said and Katherine knew she was screwed. Then the door swung open and Katherine saw the full body of the ghost. Venoose had a bright blue glow and a graceful stance. She was a beautiful ghost carrying a Louis Vuitton bag. It was open so Katherine could see the heavy gold bars stashed inside. Suddenly it was hurdling at her head and she blacked out upon contact. 

The next night on October 31st nobody was suspicious when there was a body hanging from the tree outside the mansion but they were confused why there were two pairs of shoes sitting on the sidewalk. 

I just wrote short story in creative writing thats all