Where did she go? | Teen Ink

Where did she go?

On a regular day, Lilly and Jenny were on their way home from school. Jenny had asked Lilly if she could go to her house and finish a project they were assigned so that they could ascend. Lilly called her mom to see if she was able to, Her mom said yes but she was hesitant because there have been kidnappings and disappearances going on in the neighborhood recently. Lilly's mom(Ms. Collins) only agreed to it if Jenny's mom dropped her off. Both girls went to the house and started the project, a little later Jenny's mom asked Lilly if she wanted anything to eat. Lilly said she was okay but the mom insisted so Lilly took her offer and said yes. After the girls finished the project it was late, Lilly asked Jenny's mom to take her home but Jenny asked if she could just spend the night since it was late. Lilly said she didn't know and to ask her mom first before saying yes, She called her mom and she said yes but she had to be home in the morning by 9 a.m. She told Jenny that her mom said yes so Jenny had gotten everything ready while Ms.Gonzales got dinner ready. Everything was fine, the girls and mom ate some spaghetti for dinner and brushed their teeth to get ready for bed.

When everyone went to bed, In the middle of the night Lilly heard a noise coming from the kitchen, she went to wake up Jenny but she wasn't there she looked around the room but still couldn't find her. So Lilly grabbed her phone and turned on the flashlight and headed to the kitchen. When she was going to the kitchen she started to hear the noise louder and louder, she got a little scared but when she got there, she saw a white cat on the counter she didn't remember Jenny having a cat but the cat was just scratching and hitting the wall. She picked up the cat and walked back to the room but noticed something on the bookshelf, When she got closer she felt a breeze coming from the bookshelf, as she was about to touch it, Ms.Gonzales asked what she was doing. Lilly jumped in startled and told her that she heard a noise and it was just the cat she was holding. Ms.Gonzales said, "Okay but now go back to bed."  When she went back into the room she saw Jenny who she didn't see when she woke up, she was under her blanket and it looked like she had a flashlight with her. Lilly asked, "Where did you go". Jenny didn't reply, Jenny turned off the light and went back to bed. Lilly knew something wasn't right, she felt uneasy going back to bed but she just brushed it off and fell asleep.

The next morning Jenny woke up went into the kitchen and made some breakfast for herself,  she went to wake up Lilly but noticed she was already gone, she thought "Oh my mom must have taken her back home", later she heard a ring at the doorbell, she went to see if it was her mom but it was weird because her mom has a key to the house. When she opened the door it took her by surprise, It was Lilly's mom, she was wondering if Lilly was still there because she hadn't come home at 9 am. Jenny told Ms.Collins that she thought she was already with her. Ms.Collins calls the cops and makes a missing person report, she was crying wondering where her daughter could be. At this time Jenny's mom wasn't home, nobody knew where she was. But a couple of minutes after the cops arrived, Jenny's mom came home. The detective questioned Jenny's mom about where she was and when was the last time she saw Lilly, she had said she went to the store to pick up some vegetables for dinner that night. But she didn't mention to the cop that she had spoken to her last night. 

The detective then interrogated Jenny and asked the same questions, while sobbing Jenny answered saying that the last time she spoke to her was during dinner and the last time she saw her was when they both went to bed. The detective got all the information that he needed from them and went to Ms. Collins. He had asked her if Lilly had been through a tough time recently and Ms. Collins answered she hadn't been through anything and that everything was fine at home. The detective then asked would Lilly might have run away from home. Ms.Collins did not like that question, she yelled at the detective saying "Why would she run away!", That made her cry even more and the detective apologized and left the house. Ms.Collins asked Ms. Gonzales if anything had happened while Lilly was staying the night like if she had heard anything or seen anything. Ms.Gonzales said that she didn't see anything nor did she hear anything. Ms.Collins just left the house crying and wondering where her daughter could be, but after she had left Ms. Gonzales went to Jenny's room to see if she was in there, Jenny was in her bed crying. Ms. Gonzales went to her and tried to comfort her saying that everything would be okay and that they would find her. Later in that afternoon, Ms.Gonzales went into the kitchen and fed the cat because the cat had been crying. Jenny walked in and asked her mom "Where did you get a cat from", Ms.Gonzales answered, "Lilly found this cat in the kitchen last night", Jenny looked surprised and asked her why didn't she tell the detective she saw her last night, Ms.Gonzales answered "it just slipped my mind i guess". Jenny just stormed out of the kitchen and into her room, she didn't know what to do after hearing her mom say that and lying about how she didn't see her last night. She grabbed her phone and wanted to tell someone about that but she didn't know who, she started to text Lilly's mom and told her that her mom did see her last night in the kitchen and her mom just replied "I know, she told me" jenny felt uneasy after seeing what she replied with. Jenny decided to do her investigation and try and figure out what had happened to her best friend while she stayed there because she felt very guilty. Jenny decided to walk around the house to see if Lilly left any clues there of what happened, as she looked around she didn't see anything. She was about to give up but something caught her eye, it was the cat on the counter and it was just staring at her. She went towards the cat but the cat jumped off the counter and towards the bookshelf, she was following the cat until she felt the same breeze that Lilly felt coming from the bookshelf, as she was about to move some books, Ms. Gonzales again showed up and asked her daughter what she was doing. Jenny answered "I wanted to grab a book and try to clear my mind from all of this", She told this lie to cover up her investigation, Her mom said that these weren't real books just a display, and that she had some books in her room that she could read, Jenny smiled and said okay thank you.

The mom left to grab some books but as soon as she was out of sight Jenny hurried up and checked the bookcase and found something that she couldn't believe was there. It was a door behind the bookshelf, as she was about to open it she heard her mom coming and put everything back onto the shelf to cover her tracks. Her mom gave her a couple of books to read and said that she would be back around 10 p.m from work. Jenny thought "This is a perfect time". She said okay and bye see you later, When Ms.Gonzales left for work, Jenny took everything off from the bookshelf and paused looking at the door, wondering what would be behind the door. She went to her room grabbed a flashlight and opened the door. The door led down some stairs and Jenny just couldn't believe this was happening and how she never noticed this before, as she was going down the stairs she started to hear some noises and that made her stop walking for a bit and just listen to where the noise was coming from. She decided to continue walking to see what it was When she went down she saw the same white cat from earlier and the cat was sitting on top of a dusty red box Jenny went towards the box, grabbed it, and picked it up. She decided not to open it yet and continued to walk and see what else could be down there. But as soon as she was about to continue she heard the door open and wondered what time it was and it was past 10, she felt like only 30 minutes had passed. She ran as fast as she could but wasn't fast enough and she saw her mom. Her mom was shocked and was lost for words, Jenny tried asking her mom questions about if she had known if this was behind the bookshelf but the mom said that she never saw or heard about this door behind the bookshelf. Jenny didn't believe her mom and ran into the room to call back the detective to come back to the house. The mom tried going to Jenny's room and tried to talk to her to see what she had found down there but Jenny locked the door and hid the box she found and waited until the detective arrived.

The detective had brought in some backup just in case and they opened the door to see the mom trying to open Jenny's door. They took the mom outside and knocked on Jenny's door, telling her that it was them and to please open the door. When she opened the door they saw her mom going to the front lawn with some cops and the detective grabbed her gently and asked where the door was and if she found anything. Jenny told him everything including what the mom said to her and the box she found but hadn't opened yet. He sent some cops down to the basement and he asked Jenny to see the box she had found, she said okay and brought out the box she found. He started to open it but she stopped him because she was scared of what she might find in there. He told her that it would be okay and continued opening the box, to their surprise they found a folded piece of paper inside. The detective picked up the paper unfolded it and read what was on it. He immediately told the cops to go to the cars and leave. Jenny looked confused grabbed the paper and asked the detective what was going on, he told her to read the paper and she will understand. When she looked at the paper she was in shock, it said " I know you are looking for her, she is at this building but you are running out of time, TikTok"

After she had read this she asked the detective if she could go with him he said fine but hurry and get in the car. She hurried up and got into the car, The detective got in and they all took off, it was just an hour away from their house. As they were getting closer, Jenny got more anxious and more anxious, when they finally arrived, it was an abandoned shed in the woods. She was capricious and felt her stomach drop and got out of the car as soon as he parked it, He yelled "EVERYONE LOOK FOR HER!" after she heard the detective she stopped and opened the door into the shed but to her surprise, she did not find Lilly in there, only a box with a note on top. The detective still told the cops to look around and see if they could find anything around the shed or in the forest. When Jenny opened the note she started crying. The note said "Too bad, you were too late, but I'll give you another chance since I want to continue this gamble Here is a clue that you are on the right track, open the box, and there's a surprise;)"

As she was about to open the box the detective came and asked what she found, while she was in tears she told him what the note said and when she opened the box, she only saw a bloody necklace that belonged to Lilly.    To be continued… 

I love reading unsolved mysteries and wonder where that person go or what will happen to that person.