Within The Birch Tree | Teen Ink

Within The Birch Tree

By carolinetauser233 BRONZE, Wentzville, Missouri
carolinetauser233 BRONZE, Wentzville, Missouri

Forks, Washington 1997 ~ Running was something I was never passionate about. I would go to the gym and force myself to run on the treadmill after every workout. I heard that it was a good way to lose fat and gain muscle. Getting a runner’s high was incredibly awakening. The feeling of going as far as you can takes over your mind like a craving. Vibrational music fills the soul in order to cope with the rapid heart beat and sweat. I would take a break when I was out of air; water would revive my body for the next mile. But this time, I was running for my life. It then gradually formed into a sprint, and there was no time to stop and catch my breath. The trees stayed planted in each coordinate row as they watched me pass by; their eyes fixated on both figures with curiosity. One of the figures was moving in the form of pure fear, and the other was for the unfulfilled void of joy.

*** 

I woke up to the light shining upon my eyelids. The sunshine peaked its way through the gray curtains. I slowly stood up and pushed open the window seal. The cold, autumn, air pressed against my face, delivering chills down my spine. Small goosebumps were generated from the epithelial layer of my skin, and I pushed the curtain in front of the glass to capture the pressure. It was mid October and Halloween was approaching invariably. This was my favorite time of the year, and I was going to make the most of it. 

A sudden knock on the door preserved interest of the unknown. I guided to the sound and rotated the ancient, golden, knob. I was accompanied by the package that I had ordered a few days ago. The delivery driver greeted me with a smile as he continued his journey. I glanced down at the jack-o-lanterns on the porch that I freshly carved the night before. I kneeled down and blew out a lighted brain which made the pumpkins come to life. I met my eyes with the bright globe of orange that rose above the horizon. Hues of blue faded into purple, creating the break of day. 

I entered the kitchen and compassed my vanilla scented candle. An alluring fragrance filled the room as I examined the package. The top right corner of the noir box read:

Violet Falconer, 27 Chamber Ave, Forks WA 98331. 

Violet. My sister. I felt my heart ache as I remembered the virtuous memoires of our childhood. After highschool, she moved away to pursue her career in graphic design at Peninsula College. Her energy felt vacant as she established a jovial relationship with the universe. Violet and I used to be inseparable growing up; we haven’t seen each other since Mom and Dad’s funeral in February. Focusing on ourselves anticipated a moral value that was not notioned. Remorse and sorrow fluttered within our framework for months, leaving behind the hereditary DNA of our nurturers. Time smeared our lives which caused us to drift apart in agony. 

After soaking up recollection of the past, I came to the conclusion of returning the box to Violet. The box itself was wrapped in crimson ribbon. I was inquisitive to the idea of what was on the interior. She would be mad, I thought, if I unlaced the box at its seams. Violet settled down on an abundant acre of land in the woods two years ago. I’ve always envisioned her being surrounded by plants and trees. It was her way of escaping the cruel world, being able to relax in the midst of Mother Nature. She liked being alone, but not quite lonely. Rosco, her dog, gave her significant companionship. The silence of the wooded plantation gave her the vitality to do her own thing; no one was there to interrupt her healing. 

I grabbed my leather jacket that was draped upon the coat hanger. This would be my first time wearing it for the frigid season. Collecting my keys, I strided over to the Ford Thunderbird. It belonged to my father. This was comforting to have a piece of him; protecting me while I drove the sentimental vehicle. Violet lived 10 minutes away by car, but her house was buried deep in the garden grove. This would require some hiking. I didn’t mind this plan because I could use the fresh experience. I started the engine as I looked into the rear-view mirror; I could see my parents in the back seat. 

***

A Famishing Soul

The bitter wind brushed my face as I stepped foot into the woods. There was a path that led into three different directions. I remember Violet telling me that hers was the middle one. This would be my first time seeing her after all this time. The trail was overgrown which made it hard to spot, but I managed to keep attention so I wouldn’t get lost. Each step that I took was followed by a noise:

Crunch, crunch, crunch

Each colored leaf had given up hope, fallen onto the moss ground until the regrowth in the spring. The birds were communicating in the distance; It was their instant destiny to find a home for migration. They aided in navigation as the breeze pushed them further south. The Black Cherry and Cottonwood trees stood tall. They were all alike, but different in a way. The bark leisurely peeled away from each stump, and the branches stuck out of every angle going up higher into the atmosphere. The clouds shielded the sun, and I immediately felt a mystifying presence: known and vivid. It was like something wanted to be understood. I faced my neck towards the shallow sky and did a full 360 degree turn. Every half turn lead with the sound:

Crunch, crunch, crunch

The Birch tree caught my eye in the glimpse of mortality. I’m not sure what it was that stood out, but my mind was calling out to me in warning of danger. My sister’s box, that was in my hand, began to rattle. I paused for a second and thought of Violet, she would be upset if the package was tampered with. That doesn't matter now though. I took hold of the knife that was buried within my pocket. The ribbon was sliced, and it fell onto the path. Inside lay an object wrapped in silk. A heart-shaped piece of wood was right in the middle. I’ve seen this before. My grandmother had a board game in her basement that I played when I was little. She used to tell me that if you put the clear sphere up to your eye, all things evil would be seen. This could only happen if it was summoned with the board.

***

(Violet’s Point of View)

A single tear rolled down my face onto page 74. I was reading the book “Crash Course” by Kathryn Jensen. She never failed to write magical elements that came from the heart. My fingers rolled down the page towards the book’s spine, closing it for the next analysis. Rosco jumped up onto the couch and sat next to me. I brushed his caramel fur with ease; he gave me the look of assumption: outside. I stood up and fastened the leash around his neck. My embroidered bag was lifeless on the floor, and my beloved game was inside. 

“C’mon buddy, let’s go outside.” 

Rosco took the lead as we made it down the textured path. He loved to hike; we both enjoyed every piece of nature we passed by. We already accepted that this would be our life until the end of time. Something about being away from everything gave me a sense of self. My world crumbled when Mom and Dad passed away. Half of me was cut apart and ripped from the inside out. I was lost for a while, cutting out things from my life that I was close to. Like my sister Sage. I thought that maybe if I isolated myself, things would get better. I wish I could just reach out, but I’ve changed completely. I made a deal with the devil a few months ago; I sold my soul in return for peace. His vessel to the world became my daily medicine. 

As Rosco and I strolled past the blueberry bushes, we decided to sit along the edge of the lake. Tangerine colored fish swam through the stream with faith. I sat down upon my blanket and opened my bag. The board was still; it was waiting for me patiently. I took the cover off and looked down at the historic fixture. The board contained a row of all the letters in the alphabet. The first row was letters A-M, and the second was N-Z. Below the letters were numbers 1-9 and ended with 0. The words “Good Bye” were at the very bottom. The word “Yes” was in the top left corner, and “No” was in the top right. I remember everything like the back of my hand. Rosco lay next to me as if he knew what was about to be conquered. I placed my six small candles around me in a circle and lit each one. I gently put my fingertips on the planchette and closed my eyes. With definition, I spoke:

“Is he, who worships, here with me right now?” 

The planchette began to maneuver steadily to the word “Yes”. Rosco whimpered at sight, he wasn’t used to the devotion yet. Doing this gave me reconciliation at the very moment. The spirit understood me, and wanted to be heard. It knew that I would be loyal and never let it be forgotten. 

“Are you glad that I’m here communicating with you?” 

The planchette rotated, once again, to the word “Yes”. I grinned at the feeling of relief. 

It moved again. This time it was spelling something, without me even asking a question.

My eyes dilated as it moved distinctly. 

S was the first letter, 

A, 

G came next,

E was last.

Sage. My sister. I quickly lifted my hands up and wiped the tears that caused my vision to subside. 

***

(Sage’s Point of view)

The blurry memory started to turn transparent. In my hand sat the planchette; a clear circle made up the rest of the timber. My stomach dropped and a shower of anxiety poured upon bones. What did Violet buy? Something else more powerful caught my attention: the Birch Tree. I moved the planchette up to my eye, looking around. As I scanned further up, I saw something peculiar. I jumped back in shock. A tall, dark, figure was nestled in the branches. It was crouched down, holding on for dear life. The figure began to move, I could not really get a good picture of the face because it was too far away. I felt the presence again. It was the feeling of uneasiness with a hint of tranquility. It fully took over my mind and body; I walked closer to the inhuman statue. Each step I took had an effect filled with clatter:

Crunch, crunch, crunch

I was being drawn to it. Even though I had the regret building up in my mind, I needed to know who this was and why it was here. I faced the tree and climbed my way up. My hands formed blisters while splinters dug their way into my skin. Looking down onto the sea of leaves, each move was quicker: branch by branch. As I got closer to the figure upon the branch, the more safe I felt. I could hear him calling my name in despair:

“Sageee.”

I sensed everything that was occurring, but it felt as if it needed me. Once I reached the top, it gazed at me. It peaked its lips and the smile grew larger. The teeth were sharp and bright white. I sat next to the barbaric form of life. It’s embodiment looked into my blue eyes and opened its generous mouth: 

Crunch, crunch, crunch

***

Blood in disguise 

(Violet’s Point Of View)

He was present in the trees, beyond the idea of reality. His wings hung low over the branches that he crowned upon. She sat peacefully beside him with a sense of pride. They both smiled, and her dimple was visible as usual. They both looked down at me, still smiling and staring. Their eyes were pitch black as tears of blood dripped down their cheeks. Sage had a bite mark on her neck that appeared as if a shark left it. Sharp imprints formed the circle as black liquids oozed out. I backed away as they folded down the branches, backwards, to the ground. Sage was holding a red ribboned box with a ouija planchette on top. I didn’t know that she had the same interest as me. This could be something that we bonded over when she became conscious. Rosco looked up to me.

“Oh don’t worry Rosco, it’s okay!” I assured him.

I couldn’t believe that she came all this way to visit me. She wanted to play the devil’s game and learn all of the tactics. I haven’t talked to her in awhile since Mom and Dad died. Maybe it was genetic, and she finally came to the realization of the portal. She doesn’t know this, but Dad was a worshiper as well. He taught me everything that I know. We would play in the basement as he showed me how to alert the spirits, and what certain things to say. I enjoyed this time with him because it shaped me into who I am, and I will always thank him for that in prayer. 

Sage stood right behind Satan with ease. She looked comfortable as she held tight to the planchette. He looked at Sage, then at me.

“I’m proud of you, Violet. You got me another soul. I see you’ve been practicing.”

His voice was deep and raspy. He looked down at my bag as the board peeked through the opening. Rosco whimpered and barked loudly on repeat at the demonic figure. 

“Yes, I have. It’s my first priority. Sorry about Rosco, he doesn’t quite understand.” I spoke. 

I was at a loss for words to be speaking to the man himself. He was the one who gave me the opportunity to believe in all things majestic. After years of sorrow, he was the one to finally change my life for the better. 

***

(Sage’s Point of View)

I was alive, but dead. Excruciating, unbearable, pain shot through my veins. I was unable to move against my will. As much as I wanted to scream bloody murder, I simply could not. I’ve never felt anything like this, and all I could think of was it being over. Every single memory that led up to this flowed into my mind. I wanted to be dead. I would rather truly be gone instead of feeling this way. I lay on the table unconscious; I could hear and feel every small movement. The blade dug deep into my abdomen as I was helpless. I’ve heard about this before, but never thought that it could happen to me. But isn’t that how everyone thinks? 

“Oh, I’ll never get into a car crash.” They would say.

Until the next moment they look up at the shattered glass window, thinking about what would’ve happened if they wore that seatbelt. Their mind fogs as they take that last breath. Such a quick fix that could prevent life-long regret. But I didn't have that choice. Nothing I could have done or changed could have saved me from this exact moment. All I could do was pray to God; I wanted him to scoop me up and bring me into his arms of peace, telling me that everything will be okay.

***

The moment of my anesthesia awareness surgery returned. I was in the same situation of helplessness. Violet stood red handed as she gripped her bag. I was the prop to her evil, disgusting, game. She kneeled down and picked up the box that brought me to this moment. I was reminded of why I came to visit my sister. That was the choice I made. This wasn’t my fault, I thought. She had something going on in her twisted head that I could never have stopped. Maybe it was unhealed trauma, or some sort of mental illness. 

“Oh, look what we have here!” She spoke with excitement. “Sage got me a gift!”

She opened the box and glared down at the planchette. I will never forget how she looked at my lifeless soul and smiled. She was so sick to think that I would ever participate in her witchcraft. Fear ran down my whole entire body as I looked at the devil next to me. He looked as proud as Violet did, bonding over their gateway to hell. They began to talk about the things that brought them peace while they were in their moment of “worship”. Violet was a stranger to me now. All I could hear were the birds in the distance that overpowered their vocals. I prayed the same prayer as I did during my surgery. Please lord, come save me. 

***

A Cryptic Ambition 

(Sage’s Point Of View)

I was resting up against a tree. I tried to think, but my brain was being overpowered by my pounding headache. I kept my eyes closed; I wanted to keep them thinking that I was oblivious to the idea of their depraved game. I could hear whispers that echoed not far away from me. They were communicating with a spirit through the board. A knot in my intestine began to form, and it begged me to get out of the vile situation. 

“Now, close your eyes when I say. If we do it at the same time, the spirits can feel the energy better and will be able to convey.” The dark voice said.

“Okay. I am listening, master.” Violet followed. 

1..

2..

3..

“Now.”

I slowly opened my eyes. My vision was far from clear. The glowing orb had begun to set, and the temperature grew colder in the absence of sunlight. The amount of fear strung over every tissue in my body. I could not move an inch, for what would happen to me if they were aware. Satan was sitting next to Violet, and their backs were faced away from me. If I was going to escape, it had to be now. I had to get myself together in order to save no one but myself. I couldn’t trust anyone anymore. Candles were lit in a circle that surrounded them. The flames reflected off my eyes, causing me to blink repeatedly. Rosco lay fast asleep next to Violet’s bag. The amount of memories that flooded my mind was unmanageable. Everything that me and Violet went through as a child withered away into the depth of darkness.

They talked amongst themselves to the point where I could not stand it. I looked around my surroundings to see if there was any cause of noise. Nothing was near me except for patches of moss. Their whispers rang in my ears as they continued to praise. The planchette squeaked as it slid across the board. Each letter was distinct and the two of them knew that they would soon get their answer. My vision became more blurry when I stood up, and I held the tree for support. My hands were woken with sharp pain. I stared down at them, they were covered in blisters. I have very few remembrance of what had happened, but for some reason I knew it all so well. Everything was confusing as I tried to put pieces together, but there were more important worries.

After I fully stood, I took one last glance at the two figures. They were in the middle of conversation, and I did not know how much longer I had left. I slowly untied my sneakers, and settled them in my hands; this would eliminate the sound of crunching leaves on the path. I carefully put one foot in front of the other, being as quiet as possible. I turned my head to them after each few steps to make sure they didn’t notice my absence. After a few minutes of my delayed pace, I started to walk faster.

“Thud.”

My heart dropped into my stomach as I fell hard onto the damp ground. I had tripped over a tree root that was covered in the autumn’s leaves. I was stuck with my hands grasping the moss, too afraid to move. I rotated my head to see the site of Satan standing up. He looked down at Violet, then at me. He placed his hand over Violet’s face and said his words of wisdom:

“For she is the chosen one.”

She fell from her criss-crossed position. Her back met the earth as she faced up towards the stars. A cloud hovered above her as small, white, snowflakes landed upon her. As they melted into her skin, red bumps formed. They grew bigger, and spiders crawled out from her mouth, ears, and nose. He guided his hand up as she rose to his sorcery. He motioned his long, boney, fingers to her face. Violet’s mouth creaked open, and the rest of the spiders crawled their way down her neck. Her black filled eyes unfolded as she grew a big, petrifying, smile. He lifted his hand once more, and she gradually was raised into the sky. She was choking as the pressure closed in around her neck; bruises appeared in place of the force. I was mortified at the scene as her neck was snapped. She dropped to the ground as her lifeless body turned blue. Rosco ran and disappeared into the corrupted woods that would lead him to depart. 

***

I was sprinting. I’ve never ran this fast in my life. I struggled to breathe in midpoint of terror and misery. Tears traveled down my cheeks and I could not see where I was designated to go. I looked behind me to see his frame chasing the prey. He was on all fours, but in a backbend stance. His head was turned right side up, his smile enlarged as his eyes locked into mine. I hopped over tree roots and logs. The woods were getting darker by the second as the sun had taken its rest. The moon light mirrored a path onto the shrubs and I could get a glimpse of the exit. I took one last look behind my shadow; he was gone.

“Look up Sage, look up.” My mind whispered. 

As I pursued the voice’s desire, there he was. His vast, white, wings were in motion. He was flying over me in the midnight sky. His gliding speed outran me, and he landed in front of my statued body. He tilted his head in confusion and looked deep into my soul. He grinned from ear to ear and beamed with eagerness: 

“Don’t be scared of me, darling. You won’t feel a thing."

I love writing about nature. It brings me peace because there is so many sensory details that relate to it. When I reread my work, I imagine myself being there in the story and experiencing the different scenes and feelings it may bring. This piece started as a small quickwrite. I then expanded it. Horror is one of my favorite genres, and I hope to expand this story further.