monsters among us | Teen Ink

monsters among us

In 1998, Joe relocated from California to Georgia to work as a manager at an auto body shop with his cousin. Soon after, Joe's brother followed him to the Peach State and rented a small house built in the late 1800s.

"It looked nice from the outside ... it did not feel good from the inside," Joe said on the podcast.

Things were off from the moment he helped his brother move into the house. "I walked into the house and went, 'Oh, man.' The hair stood up on the back of my neck and I just felt ill-at-ease, like this place isn't cool at all," he said.

Moments later, while carrying items into the bedroom, Joe says he heard whispering.

"A heated whispering, almost an argument, between two people that seemed to be hovering in the top of the ceiling area of the room," he added.

Joe ran out of the room and asked his brother if he'd felt something off about the house, too. His brother had picked up on the vibe, but after praying on it, his brother said he felt that things would be alright.

"As long as you're good," Joe said. "I'm not good, but I'm going to help you, but I'm going home and I probably won't come back here."

In the weeks that followed, there were more unusual occurrences including a terrifying event in which Joe's 8-year-old nephew was taking a bath and sat up to find an elderly man in the tub with him.

"It took about two days to calm him down and he never took baths after that," Joe said.

After falling asleep on the couch one night, Joe's brother awoke to find an elderly man and woman seated on either side of him arguing back and forth over whether or not they were going to allow the brother and his family to remain in the home.

The kicker, however, was when Joe's brother asked to borrow his truck one afternoon, after receiving word that his 4-year-old daughter had been found wandering along a busy road by herself with her hand up in the air.

Police and other agencies were called in to investigate and when asked, the 4-year-old explained she'd just gone for a stroll with the "old lady."

"What old lady?" Joe's brother asked. "The old lady that lives here," his daughter replied. "She just wanted to go for a walk, so we went for a walk."

The front door was far too heavy for a 4-year-old, so everyone was perplexed about how she was able to leave the house. "The old lady opened the door, then we petted the dog for a little bit, then went for a walk," she explained.

"She was so genuine and honest at 4 years old, that he couldn't call her a liar," Joe said.

Shortly after, his brother moved out of the house and never went back. Joe still drives by the house nearly every day. "It looks like a perfectly normal, acceptable house — except for what's inside."