The House | Teen Ink

The House

By Taylor4879 BRONZE, Kearney, Missouri
Taylor4879 BRONZE, Kearney, Missouri

The brisk winds of the fall knocks the leaves down onto the porch as the Riddlers go in and out of their new house. “ Watch that please, I don't want any scratches on the house!” Mr. Riddler shouts at the movers as they take a couch in the house. The movers continue to move the Riddlers appliances in the house until sun down. “ Oh my god i'm exhausted how about you honey” Mrs. Riddler shouts out through the house to Mr. Riddler, “Yes” Mr. Riddler replies and shouts back from the upstairs bedroom. “ want to  put the baby to bed and make our way there as well honey?” Mrs. Riddler shouted back. “Will do,” said Mr. Riddler in joy.

Later that night the house was motionless, with nothing but the sound of the wind from outside making the tree branch hit the window where the baby lay in the cradle. The baby asleep suddenly wakes up from a nudge on its foot. The baby wakes up to see a dark, shadowy, fading hand move away from it. “Wwwwaaaa” The baby cries out in fear at the top of its lungs. Mr. and Mrs. Riddler jumped out of bed and darted to the baby’s room to see what was going on. As they enter the room the Mrs. Riddler is the first to the baby as the Mr. Riddler scoops out the room checking if the window is locked or not. Mrs. Riddler comforts the baby softly repeating “ shhh it's alright.” With comfort from Mrs. Riddler the baby stops crying and gently goes back to bed.

In the morning  Mr. Riddler and the child are still asleep in bed together while Mrs. Riddler is downstairs making coffee and breakfast for her boy’s. Mrs. Riddler after getting breakfast ready and the table set goes up stairs to wake her boy’s up. She walks in the room to just see Mr. Riddler, shocked not to see the baby in the bed. Mrs. Riddler shouts at Mr. Riddler asking “where’s the baby!!” Mr Riddler replies “ I don’t know, he was right next to me when you woke up was he not.” “hahaha” the baby laughed from outside. “ Did you hear that” Mrs. Riddler tells Mr. Riddler as they both approach the window and look over the backyard, to see the baby playing with a toy that looked like it was covered in dirt. Mr. and Mrs. Riddler ran down the stairs in confusion and panic, wondering how the baby got in the backyard without either of them noticing. The Riddlers get outside, pick up the baby, look around them to see if anybody saw what had just happened, and walk inside like nothing had happened.

Later into the week more and more weird things keep happening. On Tuesday Mrs. Riddler was home alone and heard people talking in the next room as she was doing work from home. Then on Thursday when Mr. and Mrs.Riddler was home they heard footsteps going in and out of the rooms upstairs and on Saturday Mr. Riddler woke up in the middle of the night to the baby crying only to find the baby wasn’t in the cradle Mr. Riddler had followed the crying down to the basement to find the baby in the middle of the floor.

Mr. and Mrs. Riddler had finally caved into calling a priest, after finding scratch marks on the baby. The priest arrives at the house on a cold windy day of November with leaves clustered over the front porch. The priest knocks twice to see if anybody was home but, before he could knock the second time the door is swung open to see Mr. and Mrs. Riddler who looked terrified but relieved at the same time. “ I am father Fox with the catholic church down the street” the priest introduces himself. “ Nice to meet you, Father Fox” Mr. and Mrs. Riddler shouted at the same time as they reached out to shake Father Fox’s hand. As Father Fox walks in the house he can feel a heavy pressure of evil here. Father fox asks the Riddlers what they have experienced since living here , the Riddlers tell him everything big and small that has happened. Father fox nods up and down, “ Well it sounds like you guys have a demonic presence here and it seems to be very interested in your child” Father Fox tells the Riddlers calm and smoothly so they don’t freak out.

“Wwwwwwaawaw”  the baby start to cry from upstairs. Father Fox starts to make his way upstairs with a lit sage, drifting it back and forth slowly. The Riddlers follow shortly behind Father Fox. You can hear Father Fox softly speaking bible verses under his breath, as he gets closer to the bedroom.

Father Fox enters the room to see the baby in the middle of the bed. The father had looked up and saw a shadow above the bed frame with red eyes glaring at the baby. The Father pulls out the bible and starts reciting the lord's prayer. The baby screams in agony, the baby starts floating in the air and the dark shadow darts around the room. The Riddlers finally enter the room to see their baby screaming and yelling. The shadow leaves the room and everything stops.But the mother started acting weird ever since that day. 

It's my first Horror story and it is a flash fiction by the way