Wilted Roses | Teen Ink

Wilted Roses

By Bugli04 BRONZE, Pasadena, Texas
Bugli04 BRONZE, Pasadena, Texas

I watch the trees sway in the gentle, hot breeze as I fan myself lightly. I avert my eyes across the park at bustling people of The Empire State. The squeaky wheels of carriages in motion and horse hoofs clacking in sync, the mothers and their joyous children leaving the bakery with their jam filled pastries, the beaming sun and the distinct aroma of freshly cut grass and tulips, I felt life beginning again with the summer.

Though life truly began when I opened my book and the pages fluttered gracefully in the wind, revealing the many words that happily greeted me. A content sigh escaped my lips as I ran my fingers across the spine, settling to read. But the sunlight that illuminated my pages grew dim and I began to think that it was going to rain, so I gathered my belongings. But as I turned around, a dark stare greeted me instead and a startled gasp escaped my lips. “Oh my! You scared me sir,” I say as I collect myself. I gazed upon him as I studied his appearance.

He was unusually alarming. He was significantly taller than me, he had wavy, jet-black hair and he moved his head slightly, causing a few strands to fall in front of his face, his long black coat and dress shoes, pale as porcelain skin that seemingly gleamed with light luminescence, and an intense stare accompanied with…dark purple eyes? That’s quite peculiar. I snapped out of my gaze as I focused my attention on what he was about to say.

“Hello. What brings you here?” he asked me. I raised my brow as I wondered why he approached me to ask me that but, nonetheless, I responded, “Oh I just travelled here to get away for a week or two to focus on my writing.”, “That’s interesting. You write?”, “I do. I’ve always been enthralled with the beauty and essence of literature. It brings joy to my heart.”

I began to think he wasn’t as intimidating or frightening as he appeared when his cold stare softened a little. I smiled up at him, but his eyes grew dim again. “How about you tell me all about it on our way home.” I gave him a bewildered look but before I could respond, I felt an intense pressure on the side of my head as I fell on the grass, my last sight of him with an umbrella and that cold stare of his that bore into my soul before I slipped unconscious, clueless to what awaits me when I would wake.

I slowly opened my eyes to a vase of wilted roses on a nightstand. My eyes darted to the ceiling as I stared at the cracked paint. I sat up, rubbing my eyes as I try to take in my new surroundings.  I got out of the heavy, dark red velvet covers as my heart began to race. It looked as if the place hasn’t been renovated for years.

Cobwebs accompanied each corner of the room, the queen bed looked worn out with a thin layer of dust that enveloped the sheets, wrinkled black curtains that hid my view of the window, and creaky dark oak floor. Where was I? My frightened thoughts were interrupted by the faint sound of piano playing from a distance. Entranced by the haunting melody, my curiosity got the best of me as I approached the wide, dark door, turning the brass knob as I slowly opened the door, poking my head out.

A long dark red carpet laid out before me, leading me downstairs. I walked through the doorway as I followed the carpet, letting it guide me through the dark hallway. I slowly walked down the stairs, attempting to diminish the sound of the creaky floorboards as to not interrupt him. I found a dimly lit room as I hid behind the corner, looking into the room.

The fireplace faintly lit the room as it revealed the wall of books in front of it, the same dark red carpet on the floor, and a vase of wilted roses on a small table. But I drew my attention to the man responsible for the mysterious melody he emitted from his soul. He sat on the bench as his body swayed slowly to match the rhythm of the song, his fingers moving meticulously yet gracefully across the keys as he played, his wavy hair covering his face, and his white ruffle front shirt that complimented his stature. He appeared so elegant in nature.

But I suddenly noticed he wasn’t playing anymore, and the atmosphere was loud with silence. He turned his head to the side as he looked down at the ground. “Nocturne in C sharp minor,” he said. I continued to hide behind the corner, unknowingly noticed. “You can make your presence known.” I looked up at him as he’s now in front of me.

A surprised gasp escaped my lips as I tripped on my foot from behind, but he caught me before I could hit the ground. I look up into his deep purple eyes as he stared intensely at me. I broke away from his hold as I came back to my senses. “How’d you manage to do that? Why am I here? What are you going to do to me? Where am I? Take me back!”

I yelled, frightened. “You’re going to do as I say. Do you understand?”, “I need a real answer!” I yelled as I attempted to hit him, but his hand caught mine in a swift motion before my eyes. He lifted his lip with his other hand and revealed a set of fangs as sharp as needles. I gasped because I knew what he was now. A vampyre in the flesh. A bloodsucker. I was his prey.

“You’re going to listen to what I say or else there will be consequences.” I looked up at him as he stared down at me with an icy stare. “Reveal your name,” he demanded, his stare not breaking away from me. “Elizabeth,” I told him, a look of defeat across my face. “James. My name is James.” And that’s how everything started.

He leaned down and sunk his fangs into my neck as I gasped loudly. I tried pushing him off me but his grasp on me was strong and I was unable to escape. I started feeling dizzy as the amount of blood he took from me was a great deal. I fell to the floor as I gasped for air, and I soon fell victim to darkness and madness.

This was a short story assignment for my English class and I was really excited to get to write my own story. Writing has always been a passion of mine so I've developed my own ways of writing and taught myself through reading a lot. I took a lot of inspiration from vampire/gothic lore and movies. One in particular being Interview with the Vampire. I really enjoy the movie and the book so it sort of sparked a love for vampire stories in the 18th-19th century. I really hope you enjoy this short story of mine and maybe share the same interest as me.