The Phone Call | Teen Ink

The Phone Call

May 19, 2009
By Elise Fischer SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
Elise Fischer SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

It was the first night of summer vacation. Fog filled the air like a misty summer morning. The gang was gathered around the bonfire, the usual agenda for summer nights. Everyone was laughing. Everyone was telling stories. Everyone was having fun. A phone began to ring. Silence filled the air. She answered the call from a private number and a raspy voice began to talk. “Would you like to play a game?”
Silence turned into screams. Everyone ran. Everyone, but the girl. She stood in shock as the voice continued to talk. “You will find two men tied to a tree, it is up to you to save them.” Her jaw dropped. “You have 30 minutes to complete this task. Goodbye.” A dial tone echoed through the air. 30 minutes. Only 30 minutes. Run. Run fast, was the first thought that rushed into her head.
Because her house was a mile away the girl didn’t know if she could make it, so she just kept running, and running, and running. Finally, she was home. Her warm pink bed looked so welcoming that she completely forgot about the phone call and fell fast asleep.
In the morning she noticed a voicemail on her phone, but no missed call. “You made a mistake not answering last night. Because you chose not to save a man, your life will end in 30 minutes. You made the choice, now your life will come to an end.” She will never listen to her voicemail again.