one fateful day | Teen Ink

one fateful day

By danihilliard SILVER, Flora, Illinois
danihilliard SILVER, Flora, Illinois

I sat and watched them put his body in the ground. I  thought that my best friend would always have her brother, until that one fateful day. The day where everything changed.  

It started just like any other day.  We drove to school, noticing the sky getting darker and darker as if it was going to storm.  Getting to school, we ran inside trying not to get soaked from the rain.  As soon as we got into our first hour class a speaker on the intercom came on, “all students and staff, there has been a tornado spotted everyone take cover,” and we did.  We took cover together just like we had practiced many times beforehand.  

She tried calling her brother to see if he was ok, but he didn't answer his phone.  Of course she freaked out, I told her it would be fine, she didn’t listen.  After everything was over she called again, and again, and again.  Still no answer.  As soon as school got out we sped to her house to see if everything was ok, we never imagined what we were going to see.  Pulling up we saw that half of her house was gone.  Investigating even more we found her brother, lying lifeless on the ground.  

As soon as we saw his body we called 911. Breaking down into tears it was hard to tell the cops what had happened to him.  He was always the life of the party and was always there to talk if you needed him.  It was crazy to think he was gone and never coming back.

this is a flash fiction that just started coming to my brain while i was sitting in class