the light within | Teen Ink

the light within

April 15, 2021
By Anonymous

Day 1: the darken days

    As my days got longer my mind got weaker. The light across the hall got dimer as the more time I spent in there. My body fell to the floor the more I try to get free, my taker watched me as I fell to my knees, he had a big leer on his face as he told me “as much you try your position won't fall through “. I told myself I would not give up I fall through with position to be free and see my wife and kids one more time.

Day 2: the tides got twisted

M y taker told me for my one last meal what do I request I told him my wife and kids thinking he would bring them to me, he told me "as you wish”. I was happy that something coming my way, but he came back and shot and killed my wife right in front of me, as myt kids weep for me and their mother he takes them and locked them up my dead wife sitting on the floor scars my face. I stood there as he dragged my wife down the hall, I could hear my children calling for me. The latch to my window closes and so does my hope.

Day 3: one forgetful morning

As the sun peep through one tiny window in the wall, the sunlight gave me comfort, silence is sparking through the walls. No one watching just peace and quiet not even my kids were weeping to their mother's death. It frightens me to know how quiet it was, had I passed over? I m I alive? So many questions but little to no answer. The only noise was my shackles and my breathing. I hear my kids to start to scream again but I realized that It was all a day and a haze.

Day 4: the truth awakens

My mind was not in reality for days. I kept having the same old dream that I dad before repeatedly. I was going crazy. It was so scary not to hear my kids for the days I would not be. It is upsetting how my kids must still grow up but this time without their mother in their life. ItsIt is hard having 1 daughter and 1 son in my life. would I have to play both roles? How would my daughter feel that she does not have a mother to talk to? Would she hate me because I am not her mother? So many questions that I probably will not never get the answers. What have I done? I ‘m the one who put my family in danger and now I don’t even have my soulmate with me anymore. I am going to closes my eyes and dream about what my life used to be.

Day 5:  the suns coming home

After days, my mind was focus on getting me and kids out of tis hell hole with the worst person to ever to be alive. It was my daily meal it was burnt macaroni and cheese. So, I through it in the corner of my cell and uses the metal tray and fork to get myself out. I first used the fork to pick the lock and after a few try’s I got it open, but I had to get my shackles of my legs so, I used the metal tray to bang and I used the fork to pick the lock on the shackles and it work so now I must find. hopefully, I find them they can be anywhere.

Day 6: the mystery moth

I have been searching this place for my kids, but it has been tricky because of all the guards everywhere. Once I was going through each cell and I almost ran into my taker. You would think this man is smart enough to put cameras but nope. I heard him coming to my cell, so I acted like I close it but not all the way. With the tiniest crack in the door waydoorway. They had brought me my lunch but I throughthrew it out to the side of my bed on the floor.

Day 7:  the broken secret

I finally found my kids and I thought I could get them out through the outside, but I was wrong. I think had every planned thought out. But the thing is u cannot open it from the inside either. There was a camera watching them and the only way to get them out was to go to where they put that camera and they watch my kids and press the button to get them out it was difficult. And hard. So, I had to go undercover. They kept checking my cell to see I would ever come back after days he had thought I was. It was hard not to talk and walk and sound like myself. But eventually I finally found out how to do it.

 

Day 8:  the deadly fight

but it was the morning ill never forget 


The author's comments:

this peice is a remake of the orginal short story of The Cask of Amontillado by Edgar Allan Poe