Vampires Don't Wait | Teen Ink

Vampires Don't Wait

October 25, 2020
By CycloneWinge03 BRONZE, Rixeyville, Virginia
CycloneWinge03 BRONZE, Rixeyville, Virginia
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes


I would have sworn that the town was abandoned if I hadn't seen the eyes peering at me from the windows. Everything was quiet, too quiet. I walked down the streets, empty, crumbled cobblestone between the old buildings. Despite their age, the towering structures retained an ominous presence. Gargoyles, perched upon the flying buttresses and pointed arches, followed my every move, waiting to pounce. Thankfully, the remained in place. The gargoyles. Not the menacing eyes that had watched me since my arrival. 

I kept moving through the streets, avoiding the narrow alleys, making sure I didn't pause too long before any one building. The autumn wind pulled at my hair and I pulled my coat further around me, hoping to salvage whatever heat remained. I could not stay out here much longer, but taking refuge in one of those buildings may prove almost as deadly as the winter night.  

Wolves began to howl one by one, forming a terrifying symphony which sounded all too close for my liking. I quickened my pace, holding my coat and satchel tightly as the wind tried to tear them away. I blinked the snowy flurries out of my eyes, the dreadful feeling I was being followed persisted. 

I scanned each building I passed. Nothing looked promising. Nothing except the cathedral on the far side of the city. I ran towards the stone steps, the wolves’ howls growing louder, closer. I was running too fast to notice whether or not the eyes still watched me from the windows.

I pounded up the steps, almost collapsing into the thick wooden doors. They only opened a crack, but it was enough for me to squeeze inside. As I closed the door, I felt a large gust of wind slam into them, followed by a sharp scraping, and then silence.


The author's comments:

So this was just a short assigment for creative writing. I might do more with this, I don't know. If I do, it will probably be worked into something larger, but I'm not sure.