Pumped Up Kicks | Teen Ink

Pumped Up Kicks

By WonkaYourWilly SILVER, San Pedro, California
WonkaYourWilly SILVER, San Pedro, California

Have a boy

Day, after day, after day. Every day is the same. Wake up, go to work, go back, and repeat. The near autonomous grind of monotony that repeats itself day after day. I work nearly every single day, week after week, year after year. But, for what? Like a drone working only to serve, that seems to be my purpose. Just like a cog in a machine, I only work for the unity of the machine. But unlike a cog I must demean myself just to work. I must wear a moronic turkey hat just for my job. I have to have the customer talk down to me just to fulfill over inflated ego. I need to clean a cesspool of a restaurant just to keep my job. This job at A Whole Turkey On A Stick will be the death of me.

I can’t keep doing this, I just can’t. I’ve been at this job for years and I still haven’t gotten anywhere in life. I worked and worked and I haven’t had anything to show for. But today is different. Today I will finally escape the purgatory I have been destined to live in. Today will be the day that I change it all.

I wake up but this time with a new sense of determination that I have never felt in a long time. I then move over to my closet and pull out a very little something that I’ve bought a long time ago. I never thought I would actually use it, but today is finally the time in which I can. I left my house, nervous for what I am about to do. Day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year, I have “lived” my life. But today at work I am going to change it all. I am going to finally do something, I’m finally going to gain true individuality and notoriety. Something is going to change. I get to my job and take out my special something. It is finally time for some change. I walk into my job and put my suitcase onto the table.  

“He boss,” I say defiantly into the restaurant. “I quit!”

I open my suitcase and throw the Turkey hat onto my boss and walk confidently out of the door. I finally escaped the monotonous grind, I finally escaped my purgatory. I changed my life. I changed my fate.

It's a bait and switch.