The Light of Disappearance | Teen Ink

The Light of Disappearance

May 21, 2019
By aprillranee BRONZE, Franklin, Wisconsin
aprillranee BRONZE, Franklin, Wisconsin
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Changing isn't a bad thing and it never was. But at the end of the day, you know, you're the same person. And, and where your heart is, that doesn't change."
- Shawn Mendes


The girls laughed as they were walking through the empty valley around the time of midnight. Cassie had her arm hooked to her bestest of friend Allie. The smiles and the laughter never went away between the girls. Lili, Cassie, Allie and Emily. “Guys! We should go swimming tomorrow and meet up with Hardin and his friends.” Cassie recommended to her friends as they walk. The three other girls smiled and nodded in unison as they continued to walk. “Okay! I will ask when we get back to my place.” she also said.

    As time went by, the girls continued smiling and laughing until they heard a odd sound that draw their attention to the. They all stopped and Cassie looked at Lili who was slowly fading away. “Lili!” all the girls shouted and some had tears already running down their faces. Lili screamed until her screams disappeared. The three girls stood there and they looked at each other on what just happened. Then they started to run. They ran like their life was on the line which is sort of was. Until they heard the same odd sound just like before Lili disappeared. Another one is leaving.

    This time is was Emily, and she was screaming until you couldn’t hear her screams no more. Allie and Cassie looked at each other and tears were running down their faces. They knew one of them were next if they continued being in this alley. So they ran and they ran until they got to Cassie’s house. But the odd sound came back. But this time it was louder and it drew more attention between the two girls to the sound. Allie screamed and disappeared. At this point Cassie lost her shit, she lost 3 of her best friends. She doesn’t know what to do. So she called Hardin, her crush but also best guy friend.

    “Cassie?” Hardin asked through the phone. All he heard were sobs through the phone which caused him to sit up. “Cassie, what happened? Where are you?” he asked worriedly. Cassie gripped her hair and responded. “They’re gone Hardin. They are all gone.” she said not giving a lot of detail. “Who’s gone Cassie?” he said as he threw on a pair of jeans and a hoodie. “Allie, Emily and Lili. They just disappeared. And I think I am next.” Cassie quickly explained through her sobs. “Where are you? I am coming to get you.” Hardin told her and she looked around because she wasn’t in the alley anymore. She spotted a gas station and ran there and sat on the sidewalk. “I am at 7/11.” she said softly. He hung up and told her that he will be right there.

    Moments after Hardin came running up to Cassie confused on why her friends disappeared. He was thinking that they are playing a joke on her. “Cassie!” Hardin exclaimed and then sat down next to her and wrapped his arms around her. He gently kissed her forehead and waited for a response. “Thank you.” she whispered to him as she cuddled up against him as tears slowly running. “Anything for you. But let’s get you to my place and we can figure out what happened.” he said and the two got up and started walking to his car and driving to his place.

    When they got to his place, they went to his bedroom and she laid in his bed as he sat at the edge of it. “So what all happened tonight?” he asked her gently. Cassie sat up a bit and looked at him. “We were walking back to my place in the alley like normal. And we all heard this noise and bam they started to disappear. But I didn’t feel anything they were.” Cassie explained to him and then ran her fingers through her hair slightly tugging at it. Hardin sat there confused. “I think the only solution is to go back and hollar at this noise and bring them back.” he told her and she shrugged. “I don’t know about that Hardin. It was scary and what if you disappear too.” she told him as she grabbed his hand and quickly let go of it. “I promise I won’t leave you.” he promised her.

    When they went back to the alley, the noise came back and Hardin screamed. Cassie watched the one she loved disappear. “HARDIN!!” she screamed. “I love you Cassie, I always did.” he told her and Hardin disappeared. He broke his promise.


The author's comments:

just some writing prompt from class!