Haunted House | Teen Ink

Haunted House

May 16, 2019
By rachelfitz24 BRONZE, Wentzville, Missouri
rachelfitz24 BRONZE, Wentzville, Missouri
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

It all started when my parents wanted to get a divorce. I guess my dad was cheating on my mom for a while before she caught him at his yearly work party. This is besides the point though, the important part is that we have to move now, so it can help us “move on” as a family. We’re moving to Ohio so that my dad can work at a new job to get away from his mistress. They say this is their last hope, but I’d rather them just get a divorce. Moving away from my friends and my home in hopes of my parents working things out is much harder for me to deal with rather then starting over, especially since I haven’t forgiven my dad yet for what he’s done.

Today is move in day, which means I have to say goodbye. Also, I haven’t seen the new house yet, so I guess you could say I’m excited to see what that’s like. My mom says it’s an old mansion, which I totally dig. After what seems like forever driving, we finally and enter Ohio, and then pull up to our new home. It’s nothing like I thought it would be. The house is giant, and dark, it looks as if it has been left to rot for centuries, but I love that kind of character. Anything scary, haunted or mysterious I am really into. I’m not really scared of anything. Walking in, it only gets better. Old church-like windows, giant staircase, aging wood beams on the ceiling. I absolutely love this house, it’s almost making me forget that I had to leave everything behind. Maybe this will actually be good for me and my parents.

First day of school starts, and  I’m not nervous at all, I just hope I can make a few friends, but it’s going to be hard to fit in senior year, when everyone has already found their friend groups after all these years. First hour is english, and I already hate it. Every girl is giving me side eyes, and ignoring me when I try to introduce myself. It’s okay though, because I mostly keep to myself anyways. However, it only gets worse. I got shoved by the same girl in my english class and all her friends.

After school, my parents did the classic “How was your first day of school” bit, and I had to pretend like everything was fine. I found out from them though, that the neighbors have a habit of coming into our home to hangout, since it’s been empty for so many years. I think that is extremely weird, but today my mom told me a little girl was just simply chilling in our basement walking around. We have no idea how these people get in though. I’m not sure why my parents don’t think it’s that weird, but i guess the kids are harmless. Later that night, I was getting ready for bed and when I walked into my room, there was a teenage boy at my desk. I knew this was supposedly normal for some odd reason, but I couldn’t help but to be freaked out.

“Who are you? What the heck do you think you’re doing in my room? Get out right now or I’m going to scream.”

“I’m Austin, and this is my bedroom, what do you think it is that you’re talking about exactly?”

Oddly enough, don’t ask how, but we ended up becoming friends. He told me he actually lived next door, but he likes to hangout in here because it’s more peaceful, and that he actually used to live here, and this was his bedroom. I finally had someone I could actually talk to about my day, and how absolutely awful it was. I think that I might kind of like him. I can be okay with these people coming into our house if they’re this cool.

As time goes on, life gets easier, but this house is starting to terrify me, and I’m not afraid of anything. I don’t want to sound crazy but no one would believe me if I told them what has been happening. At night I hear painful screams, and glass is always broken in the morning. Austin says this normal here and that it’s because the house is haunted. I have always been into scary stuff, but I didn’t know it would feel so awful to experience it. You could say me and Austin are dating, but he will never take me anywhere, not even his house. He sketches me out, yet interests me so much.

I got curious, so I went to his house to talk to his mom. After introducing myself, she looked at me like I was crazy. She explained that Austin had died a few years ago in my house by the police. He was convicted for the murder of 6 of his classmates. I froze and collapsed. I felt as if I were going crazy. Immediately, I ran out and went to find Austin. He was gone.


The author's comments:

scary