Unwanted | Teen Ink

Unwanted

By emilycanavan BRONZE, Athens, Pennsylvania
emilycanavan BRONZE, Athens, Pennsylvania

It's dark.  It's quiet.  It's cold.  I've been under this bed for so long.  My thoughts are getting to me, swirling around.  I've started to wonder if my family knows where I am.  I miss them.  I miss their hugs, their love, their comfort.  I miss my best friend.  Now we are older and she and I aren't as close, but I thought we could never break our bond.  God, I miss them all.  I'm tired, scared, and hurt, but I don't dare sleep.  My eyes are heavy as I fight to stay awake.  I'm so close to sleeping but I know, someone is here.  Wait.  No, something is here.  Their dog, the mongrel, beast, whatever you want to call the thing.  Whenever I close my eyes, I just imagine the beast's face, with the scar down his back.  During our last encounter, the thing attempted to take part of my foot.  I shake at the thought of its piercing teeth, trying to bite at anything it can.  I stayed as still as I could, trying to not breathe or make a sound.  I could hear it going around the room, sniffing the ground searching.  It got closer and closer, but all of a sudden loud pounding barks filled my head, while its paw reached for me, piercing my stomach.  It took everything in me, not to yell or make a noise.  The thing was relentless, clawing me over and over hitting my head, stomach, and my foot.  Then everything stopped.  I wondered if I was dead, passed out, or something?  Then I heard more steps and prepared myself for the battle again.  This time it was different.  Was it the owner?  I felt a rush through my body, yet I was completely numb at the same time.  They would find me again, I know they would.  The steps got closer and closer, bringing another rush through my body.  They got on their hands and knees, looking under the bed, staring at me with those bright eyes.  I didn't know what to do.  Then all of a sudden, they just left.  I calmed myself down again, but I realized every single day was the same thing over and over.  My days were just filled with fear and hope.  I guess that is the life of an old, unloved, and unwanted doll.

This piece was the very first thriller and horror prompt.  My goal was to tell this story, without revealing who the narrator was until the end.  If a child's doll had emotions, they would most likely feel lonely as the child grows up.  A doll may be scared of the dog, seeing it as a monster trying to attack.   Since it is from the doll's perspective, it is very necessary for the doll to stay quiet and still.  The "rush of emotions" when seeing the owner, most likely is positive emotions fill the doll's body, but in the context the reader is not aware of the situation.