Fight Night | Teen Ink

Fight Night

By Bri-T BRONZE, Richmond, Virginia
Bri-T BRONZE, Richmond, Virginia

Snap back to reality, now! The police are on their way. Pull yourself together, and go check on Tommy.  

I slowly maneuver myself out of the closet behind the thousands of boxes and shoes. Still holding the pair of rusted scissors, I struggle to turn the knob by the trembling of my fingers. Soon enough, I open the door, and I am overrun by nerves.

Sliding from spot to spot on the carpet, I push myself further forward until I reach the opening of the closet. I peek out like a turtle peeking out of its shell. Timid yet willing, I push myself through the closet and into our bedroom. Noticing that no one is up near me, I begin to shift to my feet.

Shouting starts to make its way up the stairs, and it gets increasingly louder as I edge myself closer to the shut door. Without warning, a gunshot fills the house. My words are taken away as it echos throughout my ears.

Tears form in my eyes already knowing what has happened. I look down to the ring on my finger and realize that it holds no bond anymore. I fall to the floor creating a slight thud so that no one else hears it.

Realizing that I have no time for a breakdown, I talk some sense into myself. With the rusted scissors in my hand, I continue on. Closing the space between my ear and the door, I listen out to hear the the men downstairs. Imagining the layout of my house in my mind, I wind up assuming that they are in the kitchen.

If I could carefully, yet quickly, make my way downstairs, I could make it out of here. Summoning up the courage, I open the door consciously making sure it doesn’t make a creaking sound. I slip through doorway, praying that I don’t step in a weak spot in the floor. As I make my way across the floor to the steps, the voices reappear to the hallway.

I seize up not making a sound or motion. They’re right below where I am standing at. If I take one more step, it could really be the end of my life quite literally.

I try to scooch closer down the stairs, but they return again. Shuffling the body around, they debate about what they should do.

“Yo, what are we gonna do with the body?” One man says with a rugged accent, “Cause this mess ain’t gonna clean itself up.”

The second man studies the body, “Look at this Bill. The b*****d was married.” He says taking the wedding ring off of his motionless finger.

“Do you think they’re here?” Bill says, “What if they got a good look at our faces?” Bill starts to ramble on.

My hearts starts to beat so loudly, I feel like it could bounce out of my chest. I have to think of another game plan now. It was easy to try and sneak out of the house, but now I bet they’re on guard on the thought of someone being else here with them.

Trying to reverse my steps back up the stairs, I pause at the sight of Tommy. He’s sprawled out on the floor in a pool of his own blood. From where I am, he was shot on the lower side of his abdomen. Tears form in my eyes, but I know it’s not the time to cry.

Refocused, I back up the stairs. But then, the scissors fall. In my mind they fall in slow motion with a huge crash on the steps. I think to myself for a moment, praying that it wasn’t a big deal. That they didn’t hear anything. But I was wrong. I slowly tilt my head up, dreading the sight to come. My eyes meet there’s, and I begin to panic.

“Bill,” He pauses in astonishment, “Found her.”

I’m conflicted as to what I should do now. Should I run back to my room? Should I bolt and run out the door? Should I just sit here and look dumbfounded? Before tonight, I was grateful to say that I had never been a situation like this before. Now, I’m praying that I can even make it through the night.  

“Why don’t you come on down?” The man standing next to Bill says.

“I- I,” I repeat, trying to get the words out, “I-I’m okay.”

“Nah, I really think you should just come down here. It’d be a shame if we had to do the same thing to a pretty face like you.” Bill acknowledges to Tommy, “So-” He starts but is cut off by me dashing back up the stairs.

Somehow and somewhere I summoned some kind of courage. I sprint back to my room, but sike myself out. That’s probably the first place they’re gonna check. Instead, I remember the office room. If I can reach it, there’s a hidden door to where I can get out. Only problem is, it’s all the way downstairs. I try to make a run for it again, but they’re already up the stairs. I take a deep breath, and I charge right at them.

I start running and picking up my speed as I run right towards them. Honestly, I don’t really know what’s going through my mind right now. I don’t even have a complete thought, let alone a complete plan.

As I we get closer and closer, no one starts to budge. Slowly, we inch closer and closer to each other. My body seems like everything is stock-still, and the intensity of the situation is taking over. I close my eyes, and wait for the impact. Hasty, we make contact. My shoulders are taken aback by their bodies, and begin to radiate with pain. I make it back to the stairs and look back at the scene.

There they are, behind me. Their expressions are filled with aghast, wondering how a petite woman had just performed the run of her life. Honestly, I don’t even know how I did it, but I do know that this night isn’t over yet. I continue down the stairs trying to get away. That is, until I trip over my own feet, and fall. But I don’t just fall on the floor, I wish I had although. I fall right on top of Tommy.

I fall right into a puddle of his blood. The blood covering my face and hands is still warm. Disorientated and in full panic, I try wiping my hands on my gown and robe, but it won’t come off. I just feel this viscous blood all over me, and the sweat rolling down my forehead is only just mixing with the blood. I am so overlaid with blood that I begin to hyperventilate, and everything goes hazy for a minute. Then I realize that I don’t have time for this. I look back at the stairs, and there they are again, watching over me. I regain my grounds, and become refocused.

“Come on now! Just give up! You got nowhere run!” The other man says while running down the stairs.

“Rick! Move!” Bill yells, screaming the other man’s name.

“I think I can Rick and Bill!” I say loud and clear making sure that they know I know their names, “And the cops should be here soon too!”

A burst of excitement rushes through me as I dash through the kitchen, trying to take the shortcut to the office. I pass by a window and think that this might be quicker. But by the time I try, they are right behind me. I have no choice now but to go to the office. As I rush to the room, I almost trip again, but catch myself. Successfully, finally, I make it to the room. I’m actually doing this. I might actually survive the night.

After I reach the room, the door slams behind me. I even stick a chair under the knob like in the movies just to take precaution. I search the room looking for a knob or some kind of clue as to where the escape door is.

Before the house was officially built, Tommy had put an escape door in the office because of the crime percentage rasing. It was also because the house only really had one exit, and that that was the front door. He always use to say that it was better being safe than sorry. And thank God for this door at this moment.

I look around but keep getting distracted by them banging on the door. Finally, I find the door.

“Yes, finally!” I whisper to myself letting out a brief sigh.

With full confidence I unlock the door and slip out. I travel through the dark passageways and come to the end of the corridor. Behind the cobwebs and dust is a deadbolt and chain. I grab the key behind a loose brick and prepare myself.

I insert the key into the lock and turn. I hold my breath waiting for the sweet sound of the door unlocking. Favorably, it does. I let go of my breath that I’ve really been holding onto all night. I open the door slightly making sure they can’t hear me above. I wonder if they’re still up there, because the banging ended gradually as I got closer and closer to the door.

I step out into the cold night still barefoot, and covered in blood. The lights are all too bright, and what seems to be sirens all around me. Walking gradually turning into a full speed sprint, I run to the front of the house. In dismay, police cars and ambulances all around my house.

Concerned officers rush to me as I stand there bewildered and trying to finally understand what is going on around me.

“Ma’am. Ma’am, are you alright?” One officier says.

“She’s in a state of shock. We need to examine her.” A medic comes over and says while bringing me a blanket.

The medic takes me over to the ambulance and wraps the blanket around me. He takes my blood pressure, shines a light in my eyes, and covers me with a few bandages. Until he wiped my eyes, I hadn’t known I was crying. Everything just seemed to been blank.

The officer comes over again to speak with me, “Ma’am, we found your husband on the floor. We assume you already know given that, all of that blood isn’t yours. Here is his ring.” He continues as he gives me Tommy’s ring, “As for the men who invaded your home, they are Rick and Bill Cavanaugh. They are brothers who we’ve been looking for quite some time. Your husband had finally found out there whereabouts and associates, and was planning to close the case and make the arrest tomorrow. The brothers had a guy on the inside, and unfortunately…” He trails off knowing the events of tonight.

“Thank you Jeff.” I utter out trying to hold back my tears.

“No problem Alice. We’ll  have a memorial for Tommy at the precinct too . We’re very sorry for your lost. If you need a place to stay tonight, you’re always welcome to come with Janice and I.” He says with all honesty and consideration.

“Thanks, but I’ll probably stay with a friend or something.”

“Okay, and let us know if you need anything.”

“I will.” Jeff says as he leaves to talk to some of the officers.

Once the ambulance team patches me up, they send me on my way. I borrow an officer’s phone and call a good friend of mine, Violet, to come and pick me up. Waiting for her to come, I watch behind the scenes of the night coming to an end. After the examiners finish their initial walk through and analysis, they bag my husband’s body up.

They roll him out of the house with the zipper almost closed completely, except for his face. I walk over and look at him for the last time. Remembering his smile, his corny jokes, and his annoying, overly repeated quotes, a tear strolls down my cheek.

Then, Bill and Rick come out handcuffed. Anger and aggression take ahold of my body as I imagine every single possible scenario that I could do to them. But then I remember that I made it out alive. And sure, they are too, but at least I’ll be able to live the rest of my life free.

Soon enough, Violet pulls up. Before she even tries to get out the car, I hop in.

“Alice, what happened tonight?” Violet askes looking at the scene from the window.

“Go ahead and drive. I’ll tell you as we ride back to your place.” I say with as much tranquility in my voice as I can.