My Worst Nightmare | Teen Ink

My Worst Nightmare

April 17, 2009
By Taylor Czekala BRONZE, Two Rivers, Wisconsin
Taylor Czekala BRONZE, Two Rivers, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

It all happened one late Friday night. While all my friends were out having fun, I was stuck home babysitting. Knowing me, I would of much rather been hanging out with my friends. The house I was babysitting in wasn’t any ordinary house, there was something very unusual about it, but I couldn’t figure out what it was. It was crowded with cob webs, and the floor was very creaky. The whole house had reeked like smoke. It felt as if you were trapped in a dungeon. The girl I was babysitting for was only a little baby. I knew I would have to watch her very carefully. It was around 7:00 when I put her to bed. That’s when my unusual night started.
I only had a little homework left, but I didn’t get any of it done because, I got interrupted by a deafening bang on the door. They were pounding really hard like they wanted to break in. I rapidly opened the blinds, because I thought someone was just trying to pull a prank on me. I peeped out the window, but no one was there. I thought to myself, “Oh okay, I’m just hearing things.” I decided to just sit down and relax and watch TV. When I was just about to fall asleep, the phone rang. It startled me so bad that I flew right out of the chair. When I answered the phone, no one responded. That’s when I knew something was not right.

I figured that I should probably go upstairs and check on the baby to make sure that she was okay, since nothing else seemed to be going as planned tonight. When I got to her room…I was in shock. The baby was no where to be found. I wanted to call the cops but they would have probably blamed me for the whole thing, so I decided not to. I was going to handle this one on my own. I quick ran downstairs and paced back and forth. I was horrified. I knew I had to search the whole house before I would call anyone. I searched everywhere and I finally found her, outside. She was looking at me from outside, through the window. She had a look of sadness and fear in her eyes. “How could she have possibly got out there?” I thought to myself. I quick flew outside and brought her back in. I tried to tell myself to calm down and chill, but how could I do that when all this was happening to me. I took the baby back upstairs and put her in her bed. As I ambled up each step, the wood on the stairs creaked louder than normal. I felt more comfortable once I knew the baby was back in her bed.

As I walked back down the stairs I heard footsteps, and I knew they weren’t mine. I quick grabbed a baseball bat that was near by, incase someone was down there. I slowly walked down the steps, when I got to the bottom I saw something. What I noticed was very black and big, and it was hard to see his face because it was so dark. It looked like a person, a person who wanted to hurt me. I snuck around the corner and before I could see who it was, they disappeared. “Why are all these horrible things happening to me?” I thought. I quick ran back upstairs to get the baby, because I didn’t trust her up there by herself, especially after what I just saw. When I finally reached her room I quick grabbed her and ran back downstairs. This time as I was walking back down I heard the telephone ring again. Unlike last time, I decided to let the answering machine get it. I listened to see who it was, and I was surprised at what I heard. The person talking said, “I know what you are doing, I can see you very clearly.” I don’t think I’ve ever been so scared in my life. I decided to just sit down on the couch for a little bit and just relax and think about what is going on. All of a sudden I heard another bang on the door. This time I just sat there and let the person keep knocking.

It was going on 10 min. now and they were still there. “Okay,” I thought “I need to get up and do something about this.” When I answered the door, there was a guy standing there in all black. “Could this be the man I was seeing the whole time?” I thought to myself. He barged into my house and started running after me. It felt like I was running as fast as I could but I wasn’t going anywhere. He was about a foot away from me when I finally woke up from that terrible nightmare.