Your New Friend, Alissa | Teen Ink

Your New Friend, Alissa

June 18, 2018
By Anonymous

RIINNNNGG!!! All the school bells in Morrow elementary school rang in unison as students rushed out the doors and into the hot summer day. A little 8 year old girl with shiny black hair and sparkling brown eyes walked towards the bus stop in order to go home. While everyone was talking or playing games with their friends, the girl sat all alone in silence on the bus. That girl is Sarah, Sarah Sharp. She doesn’t have any friends, but she is still happy and energetic. In her mind, random thoughts popped up, like what will she do for the last month of school. Similar thoughts, as well some happy little daydreams popped up in the little girl’s head as she arrived home.

“Hello there dear, come inside! I just made some cookies and we can talk about your day at school while eating them! It’s your favorite kind! Chocolate chip!” Sarah’s mother exclaimed as she poked her head out of the kitchen to see Sarah walking inside and placing her school bag next to the couch.

“Sure thing mom!” Sarah exclaimed as she ran towards the kitchen and sat down at a table, bouncing in her seat, waiting eagerly for her cookies. “So how was school today? Did you make any friends yet?” Sarah’s mom asked as Sarah happily reached for a cookie and stuffed it in her mouth. She then looked down at her lap and shook her head as she chewed her cookie. Her mom looked at her with sympathy showing in her brown eyes, “It’s okay, maybe next time you can find a friend. Now go outside and play, that will make you feel better,”Sarah’s mom suggested. Sarah nodded as she went to put on her shoes. She walked out into her backyard and went to her favorite spot, under a big tree. When she skipped over there, she noticed a old, dirty, and crumpled up note. When she bent down and gingerly uncrumpled it, she saw the words “BE NICE =)” written messily in  a crimson liquid that looked a lot like blood. The note seemed like it was torn off from something else. Sarah decided to pay heed to the mysterious note and went off to do her homework.

                                  

MEETING A NEW FRIEND

Today was a peaceful Saturday, the birds are singing and the flowers are blooming. Sarah was crouched in a corner of her room, picking up and organizing the last five books on her shelf. “HURRAY! I finally finished! I thought I would have never been able to fit in my last few books from the awesome series: “Trials of Olympus” by Rickity Riorlandia!” the little girl sighed in relief and contempt. She stood up and stretched, then slowly walked to the door, complaining about her back here and there. Sarah flicked the lights off in her room and trudged towards the living room. There, Sarah slipped on her pink socks and blue shoes and headed towards the back door. She slid the sliding doors open and took a deep breath of fresh air. Wow! What a nice day! No one is sad because it’s the weekend, and the weather outside is beautiful! Sarah happily thought. I just wished I had a friend to spend the day with like the others Sarah sadly wished as she watched two kids playing tag with eachother. Sarah walked to her favorite spot under the tree, thinking hard about the things she should do to make new friends. She was so deep in thought, that she almost didn’t notice a girl sobbing. Almost. Huh???? Sarah tilted her head in curiosity.

The girl was looking down at the ground and was sobbing quietly, not bothering to wipe her teary eyes. Sarah could only see the back of the girl and the girl’s waist length black hair that was messy and shiny. “Hey there, are you okay?” Sarah asked in a soft voice, lightly tapping the girl’s shoulder to get her attention. “My name is Sarah, what’s your name?” Sarah asked again.

“Huh?” the girl quickly scrambled to her feet. She spun around with a soft smile and said in a light and shaky whisper, “Hi Sarah, I’mim Alissa.” Sarah was taken aback by Alissa’s appearance. .Alissa’s skin was as white and pale as a sheet of computer paper. She had a long, white nightgown that reached past her feet, moving ever so slightly in the non existent wind. At the bottom of her dress and both of here sleeves, blood stained the dress like a bucket of red paint spilling onto a canvas. Blood pooled around a wound on alissa’s neck, as if her head was chopped off but stuck back on messily without cleaning the blood on stitching the wound. Alissa’s face is what shocked Sarah the most. Blood gushed down the side of Alissa’s face, coming from a deep wound from her forehead that was partially hidden by a wave of black hair. A soft, ghostly, and sad smile rested on Alissa’s face as blood trickled from the side of her lip, dribbling down to  her chin. She had no eyes, just a pitch black abyss that seemed to stare into Sarah’s soul, as if Alissa’s judging her life and personality. Though, the empty eye sockets held some kind of sadness and longing, the same kind Sarah would see when she looked in the mirror on days when she remembered that she was friendless. Blood streamed out of the eye sockets, replicating tears.

“Um…. hello?”  Alissa asked as she gently tapped Sarah’s shoulder. The contact from Alissa felt like a warm, welcoming breeze. “Huh? Did I do anything?” Sarah questioned as the ghostly girl smiled a bit more at how oblivious Sarah was. “It’s nothing, only that you were staring at me for a while. I was getting worried.” Alissa answered. “Oh! I’m so sorry! Hey, you look very sad and lonely! I have no friends, so maybe we can be friends?” Sarah immediately apologized and asked Alissa. Alissa’s face lit up instantly as she nodded in agreement. “Well then, let’s go new friend!” Sarah exclaimed as she lead Alissa in her house.


SHOW AND TELL

        Saying that Sarah was excited was an extreme understatement. She ran around the house multiple times as if she had eaten 60 bars of a sugary chocolate. Alissa stopped Sarah in her little sugar rush moment, with a worried look. “Are you okay? Do you need help? Is there anything I should know or do?” Alissa asked, shooting question after question at a distracted Sarah with a worried face. “ANSWER ME!” Alissa demanded suddenly, gripping Sarah’s shoulders tightly, with a red light shining brightly in the empty voids where her eyes should be. However, this image of Alissa only lasted for one second, but nonetheless grabbed Sarah’s full attention. “W-w-well, todays ‘Show and Tell’ day! So, I decided to bring you in! I hope you don’t mind, even though we have only been friends for two weeks” Sarah lowered her head. Alissa looked shocked, as if she hadn’t expected that something so trivial and small could make this little girl into a hyper little monster. Alissa laughed and nodded her head, “I’ll come with you, because you are my friend.” Sarah slowly lifted up her head and showed a big bright smile stretched across her face. “Let’s go!” Sarah cheered, dragging Alissa to the bus stop.

Finally it was time for the show and tell. Sarah eagerly joined the class on the rug, forming a circle. Alissa sat behind Sarah, and quietly laughed at the little girl’s behaviour.

“All right kids! Settle down, settle down! I know all of you kids are excited! Now, let’s begin!” Mrs. Monroe exclaimed. Then, the teacher began to read names off of a list as the kids whose names were called walked to the middle of the circle to present their object. One kid had a conch shell from a beach, another had a wooden flute that was handmade and carved right out from a tree. Multiple kids went up and presented their items, then they got applause and praises from Mrs.Monroe.

          When Sarah was called up, she was very excited. Alissa floated up to the right of Sarah. “Hello! Today, I decided to bring my new friend Alissa to show and tell today! We have been friends for two weeks, and I hope everyone can get along with Alissa!” Sarah gestured to Alissa as ALissa gave a shy wave. Sarah waited for the applause and praises confidently, but they never came. There was just confused whispers among the students, most of them asking what was there.

          “Uhhh, where is your friend” a random person asked. “Huh? Alissa is right next to me! I'm not crazy!” Sarah exclaimed, clearly worried. She gripped Alissa’s hand tightly. There was silence, then laughter broke out amongst the students. Everyone laughed at Sarah, only seeing Sarah holding air. Mrs. Monroe just sighed and walked up to Sarah. “Are you stupid? Are you blind? Your friend is stupid and fake! They are not real! You wasted our time by presenting such nonsense. Now take your stupid fake friend and sit down!” Mrs. Monroe scolded. Sarah just stood there, shocked. She looked over to Alissa, only to see that her friend floated out of the classroom with more bloody tears trailing down her face.  Sarah slowly sat down, alone and sad. The rest of the students went and got praised and applauded. It was then the end of the day and Sarah quickly packed up and ran to the bus.


THE PLANT

Sarah sat quietly at the spot where she first found Alissa. “Hey, are you okay?” a soft voice asked, resting their hand on Sarah’s shoulder. Sarah turned around to see Alissa looking at her with a worried expression. Sarah hugged Alissa tightly, and her voice wavered slightly as she asked Alissa, “Im fine, but are you okay? You looked upset at my teacher. Don’t mind her, she is always mean.”  Alissa chuckled, “You don’t need to worry about me. I already got my revenge I mean I feel better. Hey, I have an idea to cheer YOU up! Let’s plant a flower together!” Sarah’s eyes brightened up immediately. She quickly ran inside the house and Alissa looked at the small girl a confused look. Sarah ran back to Alissa with a tulip in a pot resting in Sarah’s petite hands and a shovel.  “Let’s plant this tulip here!” Sarah gestured towards the spot where Alissa and Sarah first met. Sarah was about to dig with her shovel when Alissa stopped her. Sarah gave Alissa a confused look and Alissa sighed and explained, “My dad and my mom are sleeping here. It’s not nice to disturb them.” Sarah nodded with realization. “Let’s plant the plant here then. I don’t want to disturb your parents” Sarah gestured to a spot near the back door. Alissa nodded happily.


NEW TEACHER

       The next day Mrs. Monroe wasn’t at school. Instead, there was a nice young adult that the students called Ms. Rinaldi. Sarah was confused and she hopped up to the teacher. “Why is Mrs. Monroe here?” Sarah questioned, tilting her head.

         “Well she isn’t going to be able to do anything anymore, so I’m your new teacher!” Ms.Rinaldi explained with a kind and sympathetic expression which confused Sarah. “But how is she supposed to apologize to me and Alissa for scolding us? I even brought Alissa here today” Sarah asked, gesturing to a smirking Alissa. “Oh, I don’t see anyone there. But, I do believe that your friend Alissa is here!” Ms.Rinaldi quickly corrected herself, sensing a glare that was coming from an unknown source ALISSA. Sarah smiled at the new teacher. I think I like this new teacher Sarah thought. “Now let’s start class, please go sit in your seat with Alissa” the teacher requested kindly.


THE FIGHTS

        The next day at dinner, Sarah was talking to Alissa about the cool things that they are going to do in school tomorrow. “Well, you seem pretty excited” Alissa chuckled as Sarah smiled and Sarah’s dad looked at the little girl in confusion.

          “Why are you talking to the air?” Sarah’s dad questioned Sarah. “I’m not talking to air, I’m talking to my friend Alissa!” Sarah chirped. “Sorry to break it to you, but there’s no one there. Your friend is imaginary” the dad plainly stated. “No! You are wrong! Just like Mrs.Monroe! Only Ms.Rinaldi believes and accepts my friend!” Sarah exclaimed. Her father sighed, “Why do you have to have an imaginary friend? Why can’t you have a real person as your friend like the others?” Alissa’s expression darkened as she floated away, clearly upset. “Now you made my only friend sad!” Sarah’s voice wavered slightly as tears threatened to spill. She stomped up into her room, and slammed the door shut.

Alissa’s past…..

      Today was the weekend, and Sarah’s dad went to work. Alissa was nowhere to be seen around the house, so Sarah decided to look for her in the backyard. Sure enough she found Alissa calmly sitting there with a smile on her face. “Are you okay?” Sarah asked, feeling major deja vu. Alissa nodded and patted the ground next to her. Sarah sat down and asked a question that has been troubling her mind for a while, “What happened to you emotionally and physically?” Alissa took a deep breath, “I guess it’s time to tell you about my past. I didn’t have any friends like you, but I was bullied. Once I decided to fight back. Long story short I got cuts and bruises everywhere and I hit my head. My head got cut off because my neck got sliced by an axe that was nearby that my bully grabbed. I eventually ended up ‘sleeping’ here with the rest of my family. I then woke up suddenly for no reason, and I met you. Now here we are” Alissa finished with a sad smile gracing her pale and bloody face. Sarah put her hand on Alissa’s shoulder, “ At least both of us don’t have to be alone anymore.”

SLEEPING LIKE THE REST

       Today, Sarah was very sad and confused. Her mom was very mad at her father because he didn’t come home from work, not even for dinner! Apparently he isn’t at any of their friends houses or at work. “Mom, where’s dad?” Sarah asked again with big, worried eyes. “I don’t know, I wish I did” Sarah’s mom sighed. Suddenly, the phone rang and Sarah’s mom quickly snatched it up and put the phone to her ear.  As her mom listened to the voice over the phone, her eyes teared up and widened in disbelief. “O-o-okay…… y-yeah, it’s f-f-f-fine. T-t-thanks f-for telling m-me” her mom stuttered out, tears trailing down her face. Then, Sarah’s mom bent down and patted Sarah’s head saying, “Your dad isn’t coming home. S-s-so” she sniffs, “I-im sorry, I need to be alone.” With that, an alone and confused Sarah looked at the room her mom disappeared into. She shrugged it off and went outside into the backyard and sat down next to Alissa. “Hey, Alissa? Do you know where my dad is?” Sarah asked Alissa. Alissa looked at Sarah, then at the sky. She put a hand on Sarah’s small shoulder and smiled, “Your dad and Mrs.Monroe are ‘sleeping’ just like my mom and my dad. Just like how I used to be ‘sleeping’. They are all just ‘sleeping’.”  Alissa kept on putting a weird emphasis on the word ‘sleeping’, as if it meant something darker like it means that they are dead.  “Sleeping huh?” Sarah repeated.  Alissa’s face switched into a creepy grin that Sarah didn't notice.     

“Yes, they are all ‘sleeping’.”

STORY BLURB

“BE NICE =)”

Sarah is a lonely but energetic little girl that has no friends. She soon finds a very sad girl with a interesting appearance. The girl introduces herself as Alissa, and the two girls become best friends. But lately, people have been scolding Sarah for having a ‘fake’ and ‘imaginary’ friend. When Alissa hears this, she becomes very upset. If there is one thing you need to know about Alissa, it’s that whatever you do, DON’T MAKE ALISSA UPSET.


The author's comments:

I am very interested in horror and fantasy.

About this story:

Sarah is a lonely but energetic little girl that has no friends. She soon finds a very sad girl with a interesting appearance. The girl introduces herself as Alissa, and the two girls become best friends. But lately, people have been scolding Sarah for having a ‘fake’ and ‘imaginary’ friend. When Alissa hears this, she becomes very upset. If there is one thing you need to know about Alissa, it’s that whatever you do, DON’T MAKE ALISSA UPSET.