Romeo and Juliet Act 6 | Teen Ink

Romeo and Juliet Act 6

By Peach_Storm BRONZE, Keller, Texas
Peach_Storm BRONZE, Keller, Texas

Act 6 Scene I

This scene takes place in the court of Venus.  Paris' soul has wondered here in search of answers and comfort for his coming eternity.  She shares what she knows and he leaves a little lighter. 

Paris (enters):   My lady great in love, truest love, and abounding with grace, thy lips pour out the sweetest honey and thy heart is surely pure.  So why then, why, why, why has thou so maliciously kept me from my love in life, then sealed our separation in death?  Ah, Juliet, fairest, truest Juliet she was to be mine.  Goddess of love ours would have made thee proud.  A love for the ages we could have shared.  Canst thou see how my very soul bleeds and morns for my lost love?  Surely thou had us planned in the stars for thou dost joyfully discover, decide, and make such loves.  So then my lady, hear my plea, see my heart thou has stopped.  If thou truly be good, offer me some explanation to ease my eternity alone. 

Venus (aside):   Is ignorance truly bliss?  Non, the truth shall set all free. 

Venus: Dear soul, I do, be comforted I do see thy heart and thy tears.  I offer you this, then decide if the many years hast changed my tide.  From the very day she entered the world, I knew Juliet should be thy girl.  I fashioned her smile to brighten your eyes, for her tender words thy fears to subside.  Her station I aligned to compliment thous.  I set every detail to strengthen thy vows.  Yet Juliet fell into a spiteful trap and there lost her predestined map.  Lust, not love, hast taken Juliet from thee.  Now beseech me no more for you see I am free. 

Paris:   Queen of love, thy character holds true.  Of the infinity to come at least this chapter is done.  I shall never recover but now I know, twas not by your hand that Juliet did go.  Forever I shall cling to the hope of what should have been and I'll see her in my dreams again.

Act 6 Scene II

This scene also takes place in the court of Venus, however this time it is the soul of Romeo in search of his Juliet who was not awaiting him on the other side as he thought.  Venus reveals he is the first to die along with how his life was really supposed to go.  Troubled by her conversation with Paris, she also lecture Romeo on his mistakenness of love and its affects on others.

Romeo (enters):   Venus?!  Marvelous goddess of love, joy of life, I your humble servant Romeo beseech thee. 

Venus (reluctantly):  What dost thou desire now, Romeo?

Romeo:   Your grace, I am in search of my one and only love, my lady Juliet.  I thought surely she would have waited here for me.  Our love, thine knows, had no boundaries.  What can death do but halt a meeting.  Please dearest lady, reunite me with the angelic treasure thou hast blessed me with in life and death. 

Venus:   Romeo, Juliet dist not precede thee in death nor hast she followed yet. 

Romeo:   No!  Queen of love, that cannot be!

Venus:   It can and it has!  Dost though not see?  Wait and more truth though shall hear from me!

Romeo  Gracious lady go on, as far as thou please enlighten this love-stricken
(distraught  creature tortured before thee.
and fearful):    

Venus:   What thee and Juliet shared twas powerful indeed, but none, repeat none of it was from me.  I intended for thee a life with forsaken Rosaline.  Had thou held on but a meager two years twould have joy over a ceremony front of thy peers.  But non, thy was swayed by loves twin, as many a fool hast dinned.  Lust, not true love, filled thy heart as thee and she danced but spaces apart.  Thou's stars were not aligned from the start, the very heaven's know - more than that they were crossed!  You made a mockery of love, a mockery of me!  The consequences you now have eternity to see!

Romeo:   Oh, Venus I beg thee.  Have mercy on my soul!  What are these consequences and what their tolls? 

Venus:   From Paris, poor soul.  You robbed not only life, but that which makes life livable – love!  All the while Juliet was to be his.  Now she'll be neither.  Oh, how plans have gone amiss.  And thy parents, my word!  Their tears could fill the seas!  Their pleading prayers could make even Narcissus pause and stare.  Thee were thy joy and hope in this world, yet yea forsook that all for the fake love of a girl.  Now depart from me most wretched of men and never let me see thee again!  (Romeo, sprawled on the floor, wisely decides to leave while he still can.)

Act 6 Scene III

Finally, Juliet arrives, desperate for some explanation.  Venus, at the end of her rope, takes pity on Juliet and, after a lecture, sends her off with a choice.  The life she could have lived, and the life she chose.  But without hesitation, she chooses her Romeo. 

Juliet:   Great Venus!  Lady of love, my one and only sympathizer, thou hast seen my strife.  I have tried to do right by thee.  Defying family, defying life – all for my love.  Yet where is he?  My lady?

Venus:   Ah, my child.  Innocent in life and death, thou art ignorant of so much.  Hug thyself and gather near, thine ignorance shall stop here.  I set the stars for thee and Paris, he was the one you were to join in marriage, the fulfillment of love.  Many years you were to live filled with joy and children, and grands to come.  Growing old with grace, beauty untouched.  Yet Romeo came and foiled it all, robbing the world of you all.  But misery and tears enough.  I tire of this cycle.  I choose to let them fall, now the choice in yours.  Romeo just left and Paris right before.  Life may be filled with turmoil, but eternity should not be.  Make thy choice and live there after with thy heart truly free! 

Juliet (in tears):   Oh, I thank thou truly and promise now to thee to live a love with my Romeo glorifying thee!  (running off)  Romeo!

I'm a freshman in highschool and wrote this peice as an English assignment. We were asked to change, or add on to a scene of Shakespeares Romeo and Juliet. I really enjoyed writing this piece and hope you enjoy reading it.