Once again... | Teen Ink

Once again...

April 20, 2017
By Anonymous

Jamie is 17, male and has a little sister named April which is 14. Jamie comes through the door, quietly, its dark, and about 1 AM, April sits waiting for him. At the table, close to tears.

April: Am I a joke to you? [teary eyed]

Jamie: what...??

April: Well I've just been sitting here for the past 4 hours thinking about what I did wrong.

Jamie: I'm lost.....

April: yeah, well that makes two of us.

Jamie: April...

[cutting him off]

April: do you think that I'm so little minded that I don't know you've been sneaking out?

[they pause]

Jamie:I don't think your little minded at all April, I'm just coping....

April: oh your going to hit me with that shit again ok. Well while you've been out "coping" I've been here waiting for your waisted return. trying to think up ways I can make this better. Because, well what else can I do?

Jamie: how to make what better?

April: life............ life with you....... life with out our parents...... [she takes a deep breath and lets a single tear drop] life alone.

Jamie: your not alone April.

April: really well it sure does feel like it. You know for the 20 hours a day your gone.

Jamie: I'm trying, I really am. It's just hard when you all of a sudden are the one who needs to get groceries and cook and do laundry. 6 weeks ago my only responsibilities were to clean my room and get good grades! I'm sorry if I'm not the ideal parent!

April: [shouting at jamie] I DONT WANT YOU TO BE THE IDEAL PARENT, I WANT YOU TO BE MY BROTHER

[april totally looses control and cries]

Jamie: [shouting back and grabbing her on her shoulders] IM TRYING MY BEST OKAY!

April: [ looks frightened not knowing what to do]

[ realizing what he has done, takes his hands off her shoulders, as he angrily and ashamed says]

Jamie: i don't need this.!

[jamie walks out the door, slamming it after him. Leaving April scared and in dim darkness]

[ Aprils face is covered in tears and her lips quiver]

April: ounce again I am alone.

[the lights dim out]

The author's comments:

Thank you for reading my scene, I wrote this to show sibling rivalrys are serious yet they will always be there for you, whether you are a Jamie or an April, they are there for you. I also wanted to write a dramatic scene for teens that they can really understand and perform well.