The Multiverse Theory | Teen Ink

The Multiverse Theory

By MaddieG112 BRONZE, Littleton, Massachusetts
MaddieG112 BRONZE, Littleton, Massachusetts

"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone." ~Audrey Hepburn

ACT I
Scene 1

Science classroom. No teacher present; students mingling around classroom. Enter PRESLEY and JAX. PRESLEY has a book with a picture of EVERLY on the cover.

Presley
Okay, so over the weekend I bought this book, and as you probably know, finished it in... maybe an hour? Two at the most. But, OH MY GOSH, it was so good!

JAX
I mean, that sounds-

PRESLEY
Can you believe this is only the first book?! And that the author lives right here in Creston! There's, like, no one famous that's from here!

JAX
Yeah. Sounds super.

PRESLEY
You okay? You seem kinda down.

JAX
It's.. I mean.. Never mind. It can wait.

PRESLEY
Okay.. If you're sure.

JAX
So, what's your book about?

PRESLEY
So, it's about this girl and her name is Everly Quinn and she goes on all these adventures. Like she found out that her parents worked for a magical agency that oversees real-life fairy tales in another dimension! She had to save them from the Evil Queen because she wanted to chop off their head!

JAX
You realize that's totally fiction, though? It's not real.

PRESLEY
Well, yeah. I know that. But imagine how cool it would be to meet someone from another world! To find out that there's more out there then just us!

JAX
But, there's only one dimension and we are in it. Don't you think people would have figured out that there was more than one before now?

PRESLEY
Maybe we don't have advanced enough technology. Maybe they have magic, but we don't. There's a universe of possibilities out there, Jax! You just have to open your eyes and be willing to see them!

JAX
Wouldn't a person from another dimension coming here be bad? It would interrupt the space time continuum or something. Like traveling to the future would.

PRESLEY
I guess.. It's just dreaming of there being more out there is what is getting me through this misery they call high school.

JAX
You have me. How awful could your life possibly be?

PRESLEY
With you around? Pretty bad.

They both laugh. Pause, school bell rings. People begin to sit down.
JAX
Speaking of misery..

PRESLEY
Come on, physics is not that bad. Mr./Mrs. Elwin is super nice.

JAX
I beg to differ. S/He assigns us pages and pages of homework every night. Yesterday, there were fifty problems due!

PRESLEY
You're over exaggerating. It was only 46!

JAX
Really? You must be joking.
(Deadpans)

PRESLEY
Yes, really! Accuracy is very important in science.
  Laughs.

JAX
I hate you.

PRESLEY
You lo-ooo-ve me.

JAX
Correction: I tolerate you.

Mr./Mrs. Elwin enters.

MR./MRS. ELWIN
Alright! That's enough talking. Get out your homework from last night and I will come around to check it.

PRESLEY
(Whispering)
Did you do it?

JAX
(Whispering)
Found it on QuizHelp. Does that count?

PRESLEY
(Whispering)
That definitely does not count.

MR./MRS. ELWIN
Jax, Presley. Is there a reason you are interrupting my class with your whispering?

JAX AND PRESLEY
(In unison)
No, Mr./Mrs. Elwin.

PRESLEY
We were just discussing how much we love physics, Mr./Mrs. E.

MR./MRS. ELWIN
I'm sure. Open your  textbooks to page 233 and Farah, please start reading, beginning with "A Newton Unit is a unit of force equal to..."
Lights fade out.

Scene 2

Before school has begun. Students mingle around, chatting quietly. JORDAN stands on the edge, waiting for LUCY/LUC. LUCY/LUC approaches.

JORDAN
What took you so long?! We can't be seen together. I'm Everly's best friend and everyone knows you don't like her! It's suspicious.

LUCY/LUC
Relax. You said she never comes in until 8:30 anyway. It's still quarter to eight. There's almost no one here.

JORDAN
If you want this to work, at all, everything has to be executed perfectly. Without any problems, hitches, or hindrances.

LUCY/LUC
You have been planning this twisted scheme for months, Jordan. It’s pathetic how obsessed with this you are! She hasn’t done anything to you and yet you’re her “best friend”. A best friend certainly wouldn’t do this would they.

JORDAN
Don’t go and start being all high and mighty now. You are just as involved in this as I am. And you know what happens if you don’t help me.

Pulls manila envelope from backpack. Clearly marked PHOTOS.

What would happen if pictures of the future valedictorian and class president recording exam answers got out? Say goodbye to Harvard, Lucy/Luc.

LUCY/LUC
You are a horrible person. How was Everly ever friends with you?

Tries to grab the envelope. Fails. JORDAN places it back in their
backpack.

JORDAN
Um, no. It won’t be that easy. And  of course, I have made more than one copy so it won’t do you any good.

Sound of loud door offstage. Faint ‘Hey Everly’ ensues.

Shoot! Why is she here so early! You know the plan. Meet me in the Chemistry lab after school. I’ll get Everly there. Operation Expulsion is a go.

LUCY/LUC
And you call me a dork.

JORDAN
Get out of here before she sees you!

LUCY/LUC scurries away. Exits stage left. EVERLY enters stage right,
texting.

Ev!
   EVERLY turns around to see JORDAN, slips phone in pocket.

EVERLY
Hey Jordan! What’s up?
JORDAN
Not much, but wow, Ev, you’re here early.

EVERLY
I have to take a Trigonometry quiz before school, but why are you here so early? You’re usually late.
   Laughs.

JORDAN
Oh, um, my mom had, um an dentist appointment this morning so she dropped me off early. 

EVERLY
Oh, that stinks. The dentist is the absolute worst.

JORDAN
Yeah, I guess…

EVERLY
So, you excited for Mr. L’s English project? I can’t believe he’s letting people chose their own partners. That never happens! He’s always like “Choosing your own partner is like choosing your own grade: F. Group projects enlighten your child brains to…”

Enter ARDEN from stage right, wearing headphones. Distracted.

Oh, look there’s, sigh, Arden. He’s so nice. And cute. And smart.

Waves. ARDEN doesn’t see her. Continues walking. Exits stage right.
EVERLY watches ARDEN exit.

He’ll never notice me will he, Jord.

JORDAN
(muttering)
Hopefully not.

EVERLY
What? Did you say something?

JORDAN
I say of course he would, Ev.

Bell rings.

Good luck on that trig. Test. I gotta head to Spanish.
EVERLY
Bye. See ya after school?

JORDAN
Yeah. Actually, can you meet me in the Chemistry lab? I have this project and you know how bad at Chemistry I am, Miss Straight-A Student.

EVERLY
Sure of course! See you then!

Lights down. Set change: Chemistry Lab. Lights up.

EVERLY
Jordan? You here?

JORDAN appears from behind a desk.

What are you doing on the floor?

JORDAN
Oh, nothing. I just, um, dropped an earring.

EVERLY
But you don’t wear earrings?

JORDAN
Oh, ha that’s because my grandma gave me these and she’s picking me up today.

EVERLY
I mean, that’s nice of you…

JORDAN
Yeah, can we get started?

EVERLY
Definitely.

Looks at printout.

So you are trying to achieve a Briggs-Rauscher Reaction?

JORDAN
Yeah, but it’s supposed to start as the yellow stuff and then you pour the clear stuff and it makes it turn navy blue. But then the blue fades all the way to clear after you turn on the hot plate. After that it fades to the yellow, navy blue and clear over and over.

(Pauses)

It just stays yellow. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong.

EVERLY
Well, first of all. Look at the whiteboard. The Briggs-Rauscher Reaction is for the AP Chemistry class. No wonder you were having trouble.

JORDAN
Well, that might do it.

EVERLY
So the project you need to do is…. Elephant Toothpaste, or the combining dish soap, hydrogen peroxide, and potassium iodide.

JORDAN
Okay. Let’s do it.

JORDAN and EVERLY take two beaker, half full of colored water, and pour into
bowl.

Lights flash different places and colors. Explosion sound.

In the confusion EVERLY exits. *Cannot be seen leaving.*

JORDAN
EVERLY? You here? YES! She’s gone. Now I can have Arden all to myself.

Pulls out phone. Dials and calls.

Hey, Lucy/Luc? Yeah it’s done. She’s gone. Pause. No, I don’t know where she went. You’re the one with the crazy scientist mom. Now come get whatever this is and sneak it back into your mom’s lab. Pause. No, no I’ll just leave it here. It’s in the Chemistry lab. Just hurry up before someone sees it.

JORDAN pulls out bottle, marked radioactive. Exits stage left. Enter ARDEN stage
right.

ARDEN
Well, uh, that sounded bad. What is this stuff? Dichromate? Dilute sulfuric acid? Oh geez.

Examines the bottle. Door closes stage left. Voices heard. ARDEN drops the bottle,
exits stage right.

LUCY/LUC
(talking into a phone)
No, Mother. I did not take your bottle of radioactive ghost tears or whatever is missing this time. Ask Tommy. He is constantly blowing things up in the yard when you aren’t home.

Grabs the bottle, places it in backpack exits stage left.

How is it my fault he’s going to be a future arsonist? No. It’s not. You can’t blame me for you not watching him. Whatever is missing is probably in your trash heap of an office. Yes…

Lights fade out.

ACT 2
Scene 1

Basic living room. PRESLEY and JAX yelling at each other. Book with EVERLY
on the cover is on a table, in plain sight.

PRESLEY
Why won’t you tell me?! You call yourself my best friend and then I find out that there’s this secret you know about me but you won’t tell me. What other secrets are you keeping from me Jax? If that’s even your really name!

JAX
You know that I won’t tell you for the sole reason of protecting you! Why should I let this crush you? It would ruin your entire view of the world Pres! I can’t do that to you.

PRESLEY
I can make my own decisions, thank you very much. And friends share their burdens to their friends because they will support them no matter what! It’s not your job to carry the weight of the world on your shoulders! Let me help you.

JAX
It’s not a burden. I’m fine.

PRESLEY picks up a couch pillow and hits JAX repeatedly.

PRESLEY
Just tell me! Let me help you.

The doorbell rings in the distance.
(Glaring)
This isn’t over.

PRESLEY heads stage right. Pause. Scream is heard. Re-enters from stage right
pulling EVERLY by the wrist.

PRESLEY
Do you see it?

JAX
See what, Pres? And who’s this chick?

PRESLEY
It’s her! It’s Everly! From the book I was talking about! The Everly Sommers!

EVERLY
How do you know my name? Who are you? Where am I? I just want to go home! Please.

JAX
Please tell me you did not kidnap her. I’d prefer to not be an accomplice to a kidnapping in high school.

PRESLEY
Hey, she showed up on my doorstep. It’s not kidnapping. I’m not keeping her here against her will and she’s free to leave any time. Though I doubt she will want to.

JAX
And why’s that?

PRESLEY
Because she’s not from here! She’s from this place called Naporia. It’s just like Earth except they have all these different customs and stuff like that. Look at the way she is dressed.

EVERLY
This is very fashionable, thank you very much. And how do you know all of this? Are you stalking me? You are aren’t you!

PRESLEY leads EVERLY to sit down. JAX stands behind them.

PRESLEY
NO! Of course not! You’re my favorite book character! I’ve read all about you and Jordan and Lucy/Luc and Arden. Is he as cute as he sounds?

EVERLY
Oh my gosh, even cuter!

PRESLEY
How is that possible?!
JAX
Could you girls stop squealing? And I bet he’s not even that hot.

PRESLEY
Are you jealous, Jax?

JAX
No! Of course not!

EVERLY
Yeah, sure. We totally believe you.

JAX
Says the fictional character!

EVERLY
As you can clearly see, I’m perfectly real. She is just confusing me with someone else. Yeah that’s it!

JAX
Well, go ahead.Read that. Learn about all your adventures as a FICTIONAL PERSON.

EVERLY picks up the book, flips to a page. Reads for a few seconds. Closes it and
throws it back, appalled. Shakily stands up.

EVERLY
No. No that can’t be right. I’m not fictional. I’m real. Naporia is real. And Jordan and my parents. This is too much. I can’t..

EVERLY faints.

PRESLEY
Great job Jax! Now she’s unconscious.

JAX
At least she’s not dead.

PRESLEY
Not helping, Jax.          Lights fade down.
Scene 2

JORDAN and LUCY/LUC stand outside of school next to some benches.

LUCY/LUC
So we are done right? You’ll destroy those pictures and leave me alone?

JORDAN
The deal was we get rid of Everly so I can have Arden. I don’t have Arden yet. Once he’s mine, then those precious pictures will go poof.

Enter ARDEN stage right. Hiding to the side. Not seen by JORDAN or LUCY/LUC.

LUCY/LUC
Fine, but how am I supposed to ‘get’ Arden for you. It’s not like he’s a puppy I can lead along with a biscuit.

JORDAN
That’s exactly what he is. Not much up there, so it’s a good thing he’s cute. You just have to lure him to me and I’ll take care of the rest. And then he’ll be mine forever!

LUCY/LUC
What about what he wants?

JORDAN
Well, obviously that’s not important. Duh. Shhhhh. Here he comes.

ARDEN crosses the stage, past JORDAN to talk to LUCY/LUC.

ARDEN
Hey, Lucy/Luc. Have you seen Everly lately. We were assigned to be lab partners for Honors Chem. and she said she would meet me by her locker but never showed up.

LUCY/LUC
No, sorry Arden. I’m not sure she was even in school today. But have you met Jordan?

ARDEN
See, that’s the weird thing. I know she was here today. I saw her in Chemistry and Latin, then English and Calculus. But it’s like she just disappeared after school.

LUCY/LUC
Maybe her mom picked her up or something? Honestly, I don't know, but um Jordan here, might be able to help you. Jordan is Everly's best friend.

JORDAN
Yeah, I texted her a while ago and she said that her, um, dog died so she went home. But, I could help you.

ARDEN
No, it’s cool. I’m fine.

JORDAN
Are you sure, cause I’d love to help you.

ARDEN
Yeah, totally fine. Thanks. I’m gonna go.. See ya around, Lucy/Luc.

LUCY/LUC
Bye Arden.

ARDEN turns and starts walking to exit stage left.

JORDAN
Bye Arden! Call me!

LUCY/LUC
Now, that was just pathetic.

JORDAN
Oh, shut up Lucy/Luc.

LUCY/LUC
One question, how did you manage to get rid of Everly? You didn’t kill her did you?

JORDAN
No, you idiot. I read about this science-y theory that said there’s all these different Earths that are in the same place in space but like vibrate at a different frequency so we can’t see one another. So I just made an explosion with the stuff you gave me to make her vibrate super fast and send her to a different Earth so I didn’t have to deal with her.

LUCY/LUC
…. I almost failed Physics, so I’ll take your word for it.

Light fade out.

ACT 3
Scene 1

PRESLEY and JAX stare at an unconscious EVERLY.  JAX slaps her lightly in the
face a few times, until she stirs and wakes up.

.PRESLEY
Stop slapping her!

JAX
It got her to wake up, didn't it?

PRESLEY
That doesn't mean you should be allowed to slap her!

JAX
Whatever, at least she’s awake now. 

PRESLEY
Hey, Everly. Are you feeling okay?

EVERLY
Well, I was hoping this was some kind of terrible dream. But, I see that the two of you are still here which means, unfortunately it isn't.

PRESLEY
Sorry that Jax made you pass out. It wasn't on purpose, I promise.

JAX
I make no promises.

EVERLY
Can you guys figure out how to get me home because, no offense, you guys seem nice ish but I want to go home.

PRESLEY
Of course. I know just the person we need to see, but I think we're going to need a little help from my mom. Don’t worry, she’s really cool.

JAX
Totally won't be weird-ed by an alien in her house.

PRESLEY
She's not an alien, Jax. More a human from a different place. I’ll go get her. She’s outside doing, I’m not totally sure what.

PRESLEY exits stage left. EVERLY and JAX glare at each other. PRESLEY
re-enters stage left with a woman in an apron behind her.

This is my mom, Holly Morrison. Mom, this is Everly.

HOLLY MORRISON
Does Everly have a last name?

EVERLY
Everly Quinn, Mrs. Morrison. Nice to meet you.

HOLLY MORRISON
Just Holly is fine, honey. And there hasn’t been a Mr. Morrison in a long time, so I just go by Ms. Morrison.

EVERLY
Oh, I’m so sorry.

HOLLY MORRISONCompletely fine. How were you supposed to know? Now, what was so important that you kids need help with that I had to leave my gardenias outside, waiting to be planted?

PRESLEY
I was wondering if Everly could stay over tonight so we could work on a project together?

HOLLY MORRISON
Honey, it’s a school night..

PRESLEY
Please, Mom!

HOLLY MORRISON
Alright, fine but it better be okay with her parents.

EVERLY
I can assure that won’t be a problem.

HOLLY MORRISON
Alright. Jax, you staying for dinner tonight?

JAX
And miss out on your delicious cooking? I won’t dare miss it!

HOLLY MORRISON
Okay, well, don’t make a mess and dinner should be ready around six. Don’t forget to do your homework.

HOLLY exits stage left.

PRESLEY
Let’s get started on figuring out how you got here and how to send you back. Tomorrow we can meet with the person who has the missing puzzle pieces we need.

Lights fade out.

Scene 2

PRESLEY AND EVERLY enter stage right as MR./MRS. ELWIN is shuffling
papers.

MR./MRS. ELWIN
Presley, nice to see you show up for class even if you are..

Checks watch.

47 minutes late.

PRESLEY
I’m really sorry about that. See, I had a doctors appointment so my mom dropped me off late.

MR./MRS. ELWIN
And this is?

PRESLEY
Oh! This is my, um, cousin. She’s thinking of transferring, so she’s going to shadow me in my classes. But I wanted to just get an idea of what we did in class today, so I could do the homework.

MR./MRS. ELWIN
Sure, I don’t have a class this period so, take a seat and direct your eyes to the white board. So, we were basically covering different theories this month due to the upcoming science fair. Today was about the meta-universe theory or the multiverse theory. There’s so many names for it: alternate universe, parallel reality, other universes, etc. The first concept was drawn by Schrodinger, most widely known known for Schrodinger’s cat, in Dublin in 1952. A brief overview is the theory states that Earth itself occupies a single point in space, but there are multiple versions. Each vibrating at a different frequency. Make sense? It connects to the string theory and the Anthropic principle. But this you can just research online.

Grabs worksheet.

These are the questions due for tomorrow. Just answer them to the best of your ability. Any questions?

PRESLEY
Actually, just one. Could someone, in theory of course, vibrate a certain frequency and actually move from one Earth to another?

MR./MRS. ELWIN
In theory, yes, but we don’t even know if these other Earths are really other there and the speed you would need to reach could very likely kill you.

PRESLEY
Thank you so so so much! Everly let’s go. We need to find Jax right away. Bye Mr./Mrs. Elwin!

PRESLEY and EVERLY quickly exit stage left.

Lights fade out.

Scene 3

JAX, PRESLEY, and EVERLY sit at a table in a coffee shop. There’s an empty
chair at the table.

JAX
What are we doing here, Pres?

PRESLEY
So, remember how I told you but the author lives here in Creston? I emailed her and told her that I was interested in doing an interview for a school paper about famous authors from this area. And she agreed to meet me! So we're going to meet here in about 5 minutes. I was hoping she can answer some questions about how we can get Everly back home.

JAX
Pres, that’s crazy! Why would you Ask a complete stranger to come meet you?

PRESLEY
Well, duh, that's why I picked the coffee shop so she couldn't like kidnap me. Don’t be such a worry wart, Jax. You guys are here too. We’ll be perfectly fine. They seemed really nice in their email.
EVERLY
They?

PRESLEY
Yeah. The author that wrote your book uses a pen name, so I don't know if it's a man or a woman.
  Enter S.J.W. JENNINGS/CAM from stage right. Approaches the table.

S.J.W. JENNINGS
Excuse me, are you Presley?

PRESLEY
Yes,
Stands up, shakes hand.

And you must be S.J.W. Jennings.

S.J.W. JENNINGS
Please, call me Cam. My pen name is kind of a mouth full.

PRESLEY
Please sit. These are my friends, Jax-

JAX
-Nice to meet you.-

PRESLEY
-And Everly.-

EVERLY
-Hi.

Everyone sits down.

S.J.W. JENNINGS
Everly, huh? One of my characters’ names is Everly. What a small world.

EVERLY
Just crazy.

S.J.W. JENNINGS
And you guys are doing interviews with authors in the area? I’m honored to be a part of it. I discovered my love for writing in my own school paper when I was your age.

PRESLEY
Well yes, but we also have a problem that only you would know the answer to and we were hoping you wouldn’t mind helping us with.

S.J.W. JENNINGS
Um, sure. I’ll try my best. What’s the problem?

EVERLY
My name is Everly.

S.J.W. JENNINGS
Yes. I thought we went over that already.

EVERLY
No, my name is Everly Quinn. I’m from Naporia.

S.J.W. JENNINGS
No, that’s not possible. I made it all up. I made you up!

EVERLY
Welp, here I am. I was living my life, minding my own business until I helped Jordan with a lab experiment and something went wrong. Somehow I ended up here. I just want to go home. Can you help us?

S.J.W. JENNINGS
Oh, no this is bad. This is very bad! I based the latest book off my husband’s lesson plan for this month. He teaches Physics and Chemistry and oh no. I didn’t think it was actually real! I’ll call him he might have some answers.

Pulls out phone, dials, speaks into it.

Hi, I need you to come inside the coffee shop. No, I’m fine. Yes, I’m sure. Just come inside and I’ll explain everything.

Enter Mr./Mrs. ELWIN, eating, preferably, a banana.

JAX & PRESLEY
Mr./Mrs. Elwin?

S.J.W. JENNINGS
This is Nicky, my husband/wife. Do you know each other?

JAX
S/He is our Chemistry teacher!

S.J.W. JENNINGS
Oh, .. well, this is awkward.

MR./MRS.ELWIN
What’s up? Why did you need me?

S.J.W. JENNINGS
Meet Everly.

MR./MRS.ELWIN
We met this morning.

S.J.W. JENNINGS
No, the Everly. This is the girl from my books.

MR./MRS.ELWIN
How is that possible?

S.J.W. JENNINGS
So, the plot of the fourth book, I may or may not, have taken the multiverse theory from your lesson plans and written it into a sci-fi adventure novel..

MR./MRS.ELWIN
Sigh. So that explains the weird question you asked after class today?

PRESLEY
Yep.

MR./MRS.ELWIN
Oh geez, this is not where I saw my day headed. And let me guess, you have no clue how to get back home?

EVERLY
Unfortunately not.

S.J.W. JENNINGS
Well, let’s figure this out.

JAX
Well, if what is happening in the manuscript happened on her Earth, why don’t we do a reverse of the reaction that sent Everly here in the first place?

MR./MRS.ELWIN
That’s probably our best option. I’ll read it over tonight and we can try to send you back tomorrow after school lets out. Does that work for everyone?

Murmurs of agreement.

MR./MRS.ELWIN
Everyone be there for 3:10 sharp. I can get the chemicals necessary and we can do our best to send you home.

Lights fade out.

ACT 4
Scene 1

JAX, EVERLY, PRESLEY, ELWIN, JENNINGS at present in the Chem lab.
MR./MRS. ELWIN has two colored beakers and a bowl. S.J.W. JENNINGS has a
laptop.

MR./MRS.ELWIN
So, what we are going to do is I’m going to set up the chemicals. Cam, if you could write her a hole in the story to travel through. Everly you need to pour the final mixture together or someone else could get sent back by accident. I would say your good-byes now.

JENNINGS types. ELWIN stirs stuff. JAX, PRESLEY and EVERLY off to the side,
right center.

EVERLY
You know, it’s only been like what three days, but I’m really going to miss you guys.

PRESLEY
I’m going to miss you too. But at least I can read about your awesome adventures! I wish my life was that exciting.

EVERLY
Do you know why I never brought those up? In all my time here?
(Pause)
Because as fun and fanatical as they are to read about, they are so draining. It ruins your life in between because you are just waiting on another adventure to begin. You forget that life in itself is its’ own adventure. There are times of triumph and peril, of fear and courage, of happiness and heartache. What you do to rise above your demons is what makes you a strong character. People look up to these strong fictional characters to give them the grit to endure their personal hardships. But it is us who should be looking up to you for being able to find your own adventures in life.

S.J.W. JENNINGS
I couldn’t have said it better myself. It’s time to go, Everly.

PRESLEY and EVERLY hug. JAX, smiling, waves.

EVERLY
Bye, guys. It’s been an extraordinary adventure.

S.J.W. JENNINGS
I thought I could write you little notes within the books for them to say hi.

EVERLY
I would really appreciate that.

MR./MRS. ELWIN
So, Everly, all you need to do is pour these together into that bowl. It was a pleasure meeting you.

EVERLY
And you as well.

Pour stuff into bowl.

PRESLEY
And she’s gone.

JAX
It’s for the best, Pres. Her family and friends would miss her. Pause. Just like I would miss you. Look I know you are my best friend, but I really like y-

PRESLEY
-Best friend! I knew I forgot about something! Thank you so much, Jax! Cam, can I see your manuscript for a second?

Skims laptop screen.

I knew it! That conniving.. Ugh! Could you write Everly a not for me? It’s really important, I promise!

Lights fade out.

Scene 2
  Lights come up on..

EVERLY standing, center stage, in the same set as Act 1, Scene 2. Holding a piece
of paper in her hand.

EVERLY
Oooh. It’s a note from Presley. Already, wow. Alright.. “Don’t trust Jordan. She’s the whole reason you got sent here in the first place. Lucy/Luc was involved but not because they wanted to be. Also say hi to Arden for me. XOXO Presley.”

Enter JORDAN clinging to ARDEN’s arm, LUCY/LUC trailing behind.

JORDAN
And then we can go to the mall and you can buy me dinner and… Everly! What are you doing here?! I thought I got rid of you! I mean I thought-

EVERLY
-Save it Jordan. I know what you did and I know you blackmailed Lucy/Luc into helping you. I can’t believe I was stupid enough to believe your lies. And I already told administration and your parents what you did. When I left, I think they were talking about all girls military schools?

JORDAN
Arden is mine! All you could talk about is how wish he would notice you. Oh boo hoo. Your life is so difficult saving the dolphins and mountain climbing to rescue stranded babies or whatever you do when you skip school! You don’t deserve him.

ARDEN
I mean I think I should be able to decide my own-

JORDAN
-Oh shut it, you oversized puppy dog. Your opinion doesn’t matter!

ARDEN
I mean we weren’t even together, but whatever this was is definitely done. You’re nuts.

JORDAN
What did you just say to me?

ARDEN
You’re nuts. Crazy. Psycho. Deranged. As nutty as a fruitcake. Need I go on?

JORDAN
Well, you just ruined Lucy/Luc’s life. I’m going to spread these pictures everywhere.

ARDEN
You mean these pictures?

ARDEN pulls a flash drive from pocket and LUCY/LUC holds up the envelope
marked PICTURES.

LUCY/LUC
I had Arden grab both of them when you insisted on sharing your locket with him/her. Bad move on your part.

EVERLY
Just give up, Jordan. Stop trying to ruin peoples’ lives for a dumb boy. Sorry Arden.

JORDAN
I hate all of you! I hope your lives are miserable.

LUCY/LUC
That’s not possible no that you are out of them.

JORDAN exits left auditorium door.

I’m really sorry I helped her, Everly. I didn’t want to but..

EVERLY
I understand, though I might give valedictorian to someone else.

LUCY/LUC
Yeah, I will. Thank you for being so understanding.

LUCY/LUC exits, waving, stage right.

ARDEN
So, you ready to work on that Chemistry project, then?

EVERLY
If I never see another beaker in my entire life, it’ll be too soon.

ARDEN
Then how about some bowling?

EVERLY
(Jokingly)
Are you Arden Michaels, asking me, Everly Quinn, on a date?

ARDEN
I mean I thought that was an equal amount of sly and directness. Did it work?

EVERLY
Laughing.
That it did. After you, then.

ARDEN
Why thank you.

Both exit stage left, laughing.
Light fade out.

THE END.