In Spite Of | Teen Ink

In Spite Of

December 13, 2016
By jjsun28 BRONZE, Olathe, Kansas
jjsun28 BRONZE, Olathe, Kansas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

(Scene opens in an empty café. It’s run down and messy except for the seemingly neat table Collins sits at. The two chairs and table are shining, as if brand new. Collins is nervous but doesn’t show it. Zai stands stoic, glaring at her. )
COLLINS: (Smiles warmly.) Hey.
ZAI: (Abrupt.)Why’d you call me here?
COLLINS: (Calmly.) How’ve you been?
ZAI: (Guarded.)Answer the question.
COLLINS: Has your mom been well?
ZAI: Oh, please. Don’t joke. (Hesitates.)If it’s okay with you, I’ll be taking my leave. (Moves to exit.)
COLLINS: Can’t you at least sit down first before you bid your farewell?
ZAI: (Freezes.) Bye. (He doesn’t move. He is unable to.)
COLLINS: Sit. Down. I’ll explain.
ZAI: (Whips around and glares.) Are you expecting me to run off?
COLLINS: How do I know you won’t? (A teasing smile plays at her lips.)
ZAI: You know damn well I can’t. (Takes a seat.)
COLLINS: (Laughs throatily.) Yea, but where’s the fun in that? How about some coffee? Tea? (Waves her hand and a mug of coffee appears.)
ZAI: Damn it, Collins.
COLLINS: (Smiles.) Come on now, is that any way for a guardian to talk? Oh, right. Hot cocoa, got it. (Snaps her fingers and the coffee turns into hot chocolate with whipped cream.)
ZAI: (Stands.) Forget it.
COLLINS: No, stay.
ZAI: (Sits down.)
COLLINS: (Hands him the hot cocoa.) Drink.
ZAI: (Takes a sip.) Stop this. (Pauses.) Aren’t you scared people will see? I may be invisible but you’re still a heartless shell that anyone could see walking down the street.
COLLINS: (Smiles softly, reminiscing about their first encounter.) Do you see anyone here?
ZAI: I mean outside. (Gestures at the window.)
COLLINS: (Lips quirked in a smile.) This café is owned by me, no one’s going to come in. It may seem all nice and cozy from here, but if you’re outside- (Waves her hand and the café transforms into a dusty, run-down diner.) This is what you’d see. Besides, there’s a rusty “We’re closed sign hanging on the door in case you’re still worried. (Snaps her fingers and the café returns to how it once was.)
ZAI: Why am I here?
COLLINS: (Groans.) So repetitive, you. No fun at all.
ZAI: Tell me what happened.
COLLINS: I didn’t kill her if that’s what you mean (Inspects her nails lazily while still studying Zai’s movements.)
ZAI: (Glares and moves to stand.) You-
COLLINS: (Holds up her hand to silence him and shakes her head.) Nope, sorry.
ZAI: (Struggles to speak.)
COLLINS: (Giggles sickeningly.) Oops, my bad. Go ahead.
ZAI: You let her die, the contract should be over now!
COLLINS: (Smiles.) Well, as you can tell, it’s obviously not.
ZAI: You said you’d watch over her, you witch. You promised… you swore!
COLLINS: Did you think I forgot? I still have a scar from that awful blood pact. (Pouts and shows her palm to him.) See?
ZAI: Cut your crap. Why do you get to use me even after she’s dead?
COLLINS: (Shrugs again. Waves her hand and the contract appears.) Well, our deal was… oh, here it is. “I solemnly swear to protect Zai’s mother in exchange for his magic. If I do not cater to her health, my magic will become permanently revoked and Zai’s magic will return.” Huh, I guess you’re right. (Smiles and the contract disappears.) Wonder why. Maybe you don’t want them back.
ZAI: (Narrows his eyes.) Do you really think I’d rather have someone like you keep my powers than to have them for myself?
COLLINS: (Places a hand on her chest in mock offence and scoffs.) Someone like me? And what am I like, hm? Charming, alluring… (Seductive.) irresistible?
ZAI: Cunning and manipulative more like.
COLLINS: Shut up. (Pauses.) Actually, no. Tell me the truth. What do you really think of me?
ZAI: I just told you, witch.
COLLINS: Oh, you flatter me so. (Fluttering her lashes.)
ZAI: Yea, of course. Anytime. Now tell me, why am I here? (Leans closer in order to inspect whether or not she’s telling the truth.)
COLLINS: (Glass of water appears in her hand and she takes a long sip. Wipes her mouth with the back of her hand and the glass disappears.) Well, if you must know, I was planning on returning your powers. But since you’ve so nicely labeled me as a cunning and manipulative witch, I think I’ll keep them for a little while longer. (A mocking smile.)
ZAI: Get on with it.
COLLINS: Can’t, I’ve grown oh so attached to them. (Pauses.) I’ll call you out later, yeah? I have some stuff to do. You know us witches, busy making potions and what-not. (Laughs.) Dear golly, I can’t even take myself seriously. I’ll see you later, okay? Until then… (Winks and exits.)
(Behind the café in a dark alley. Collins is on the phone and Zai hides behind a brick wall, listening to the conversation.)
COLLINS: (Into phone.) You found her? Where- how was she? How bad did it look? (Pause.) I’m asking for your opinion, not a doctor’s analysis. Okay, yea. Get her heart beating and then grab her some food and water. (Pause.) What else do you expect me to do? (Scoffs.) A secret? It’s for the kid’s own good. (Laughs bitterly.) Gosh, no matter what I do, it’s always bad isn’t it? I need her alive so I can give him back his piteous magic, her life was the bridge of the contract. (Pause.) What good is it to mention that now? Okay, mhm. Okay. Sure, Henry. Yea. I’ll come to take a look at her later. (Hangs up.)
ZAI: (Enters from behind a brick wall with his arms crossed across his chest.) So I hear there’s a secret.
COLLINS: (Stills for a beat before snapping back into character.) Oh, pleasure seeing you again. How’d you get here?
ZAI: You seem to have forgotten that I still have wings.
COLLINS: (Smiles.) It’s pretty easy to when they’re invisible.
ZAI: What are you planning on doing?
COLLINS: What’d you hear from the conversation?
ZAI: Not enough to understand. Tell me.
COLLINS: (Face darkens.) Let’s get one thing straight here, Zai. I’m in control, not you.
ZAI: (Chuckles.) C’mon, I know you want to tell me.
COLLINS: (Mockingly.) Did you get back your mind reading skills?
ZAI: Funny.
(Silence.)
ZAI: Are you going to-
COLLINS: (Holds a finger to her lips.) Shh…I’m trying to think. (Two chairs appear. Sits down and gestures for Zai to sit.)
ZAI: Just tell-
COLLINS: Oh, good lord. Must you fight me on everything? Sit.
ZAI: (Sits.)
COLLINS: (Sighs.) Well, your mom’s not dead. At least, not anymore.
ZAI: How?
COLLINS: (Shrugs.) I have a, uh, friend I guess you could call him who’s a healer gone rouge. He got her heart beating again.  (Pauses.) I’ll send him your thanks.
ZAI: Why?
COLLINS: Do you not want to tell him “Thank you”? Honey, you may be an angel, but you need to work on your manners.
ZAI: No, I mean, why’d you have him save her? Are you planning on bartering her life to keep my magic?
COLLINS: Man, how awful do you think I can get? Forget it. I needed her alive to return your magic to you. That’s why I couldn’t earlier in the café. (Whining.)
ZAI: Well, she’s alive now, so give them back.
COLLINS: Slow down, buddy. He just now found her body. It’ll take a few minutes for him to mend her all up and that junk.
ZAI: Then that gives you time to explain this whole story.
COLLINS: I don’t think so.
(Pause.)
ZAI: Is it-is it going to hurt?
COLLINS: (Exasperated.) You’ve got to be kidding me.
ZAI: I’m going to need some mental preparation if it is!
COLLINS: You angels are hopeless. No, the only one it’ll remotely hurt will be me.
ZAI: (Stills.) What do you mean by that?
COLLINS: Oh, yea. Did I forget to mention our magic kind of merged in the last couple of years? When I give you back your magic, you’ll also get mine in the process.
ZAI: How will it hurt?
COLLINS: (Focuses her eyes on the ground.) Well, as you know, I traded my heart for the powers I have. The only way I’ve stayed alive the past 500 years was with magic. Once that leaves me, (Shrugs and smiles.) I’ll die.
ZAI: Forget it. Keep my powers, I’ll still have my wings.
COLLINS: Oh, honey. I didn’t bring your suicidal mother back from the dead just to keep my powers.
ZAI: What do you mean suicidal?
COLLINS: (Smiles, knowing what’s about to come.) Oops, didn’t mean to say that. Let’s just say it was… more her choice to die that day than the gang that beat her senseless.
ZAI: And you brought her back?
COLLINS: What? Of course, it was the only way I could give you your powers back. It would’ve been impossible without her.
ZAI: You brought her back to suffer?
COLLINS: Look, I don’t understand how this all of a sudden makes me look like the bad guy. I’m doing you a favor, you should be thanking me!
ZAI: My mother wouldn’t kill herself like that for no reason! You brought her back so she could suffer, you witch!
COLLINS: (Laughs.) And here I was thinking maybe I wouldn’t seem like such a bad person before I die. Oh, well. Let’s get on with it. (Holds out her hands.)
ZAI: How much will this hurt you?
COLLINS: Oh, why would it matter to you?
ZAI: (Takes her hands and links their fingers.) Because I hope it hurts so much you’ll barely be able to stand in hell.
(Scene.)


The author's comments:

I wanted to write a strong female character. Not one that was necessarily good, but one that was strong and was willing to do whatever she needed to get what she wants. A character with a Harley Quinn feel to her but does things only for herself and not a man.