The Summer Holiday | Teen Ink

The Summer Holiday

Ashley

(The third floor bedroom of the Brooks mansion, 2016, in Maui overlooking the crystal clear, azure surf. A grand balcony overflows with luxurious furniture, and to the left is a small, bistro table with a sterling silver breakfast service awaits. The morning sunlight streams through the white billowing clouds. To the right an antique telescope faces the ocean. Blue and white lounge chairs are scattered throughout.
As the curtain rises, Ava Brooks, a 19 year old stunningly gorgeous crazy musician and Mia White, Ava’s best friend, step out on the balcony and wistfully look out upon the surging surf and the young, ripped, surfers battling the tumultuous waves.)

Ava turns to Mia.

Ava This summer holiday is going to be a great relaxing break from our crazy life back in New York.

Mia Yes, I agree with you. You know what would make even better?

Ava Let me guess...one or two of the surfer dudes to show us around.

Mia This is why you’re my best friend, you know me so well.

Ava (Laughs and turns to walk back into her room with Mai on her heels) Then let's get going and change into a cute new bathing suits!

Mia Good idea! We should also sign up for surf lessons.

Ava (skeptical) You, the clumsiest person, wants to learn how to surf?

Mia Um, no silly! I just want to get close to the surfer dudes, of course.

Ava Yeah, that sounds more like it. Alright, enough hanging around inside, it's gorgeous outside, let's go tan on the beach and watch the surfers.

Mia  Okay, you don't hear me complaining. Let's go!

(The girls walk out the back door of the mansion in their bathing suits and flip flops, with beach towels hanging over their shoulders and big sunglasses that cover most of their face. They walk over to the section on the white sandy beach where they can see the surfers and lay out their beach towels and remove their flip flops.)

Ava lays down on her beach towel and looks up at Mia.

Ava What are you looking at, Mia? Come tan with me.

Mia (chuckles) I’m just enjoying the view, I think want to go test out the water and see what it's like.

Ava No, what you really want is to go into the water and get the surfer's attention.

Mia Yeah, isn't that what I said?

Ava (shakes her head and laughs) Only you, only you. Go ahead without me, I actually want to get a tan.

Mia (looks at Ava questionably) Really!? You want me to go by myself?

Ava You can handle it….I will come over later.

Mia Okay, are you sure?

Ava Absolutely positive, go girl!

Mia Alright, wish me luck

Ava Goodluck, girlfriend!