Not The Boxcar Children | Teen Ink

Not The Boxcar Children

By Kamikami BRONZE, Erie, Colorado
Kamikami BRONZE, Erie, Colorado

It is night time, A teen-aged girl and her dog are asleep on the floor of a freight train car. Suddenly a tall lanky teen-aged boy jumps into the train car, the girl jolts awake.

Margot: AHHHHHH
Owen: AHHHHH

They both stop screaming and stare at eachother completely frozen
Margo: Dude… What the hell
Owen: I’m sorry, I didn’t think there was anyone in here
Margo: Yeah, well there is dipshit
Owen: yeah, I see, okay.. I’ll just lea- (he is interrupted by the train starting to move again, he is knocked to the ground. Margo rolls her eyes and sighs audibly. They sit in silence for a while.)
Owen: So I guess we’re in here together now.
Margo: Would you shut up, I’m trying to sleep.
Owen: Oh.. well I thought maybe we would talk or something… because we're stuck here together.
Margo: Okay that’s definitely not going to happen, Because I am going to sleep and the next time the train stops, you are getting out of my car.
Owen: Will you at least tell me your name or something?.. Like who are you, why are you even on this train anyway?
Margo: Why are you still talking?
Owen: Really? You won’t even tell me your name?
Margo: Listen dude, This isn’t “The Boxcar children” We’re not going to be best friends and go on adventures to solve mysteries or some bullshit like that. Okay? I’m just letting you stay in this car until the train stops. I don’t want to know anything about you, and I’m not telling you anything about me.
Owen: Okay. I’m sorry I got in your car, I'll leave as soon as I can...  after you tell me your name.
Margo: No, what, no you can’t do that… you’re leaving this car and I’m not telling you who I am.
Owen: What are like wanted by the government or something?
Margo: No, Please just shut up… I've known you for like five minuets and I already don’t like you.
Owen: Woah.. okay first of all ouch. And second of all you don’t even know who I am why don’t you like me?
Margo: Because you’re annoying
Owen:Okay let's start this whole thing over.. Let me introduce-
Margo:NO
Owen: -myself,
Margo: Stop
Owen: My name’s Owen
Margo:(mutters)  Cool
Owen: thanks
Margo: (under her breath) Margo
Owen: what?
Margo: My name is Margo.
Owen: Alright
Margo: Are you done now?
Owen: Well I don’t know. Like if I’m only going to be here for tonight, why don’t we get to know each other.
Margo: Because I don’t want to
Owen: Okay…I can tell that you’re lonely
Margo: What?
Owen: You’re lonely
Margo: No I’m not I have Chicken
Owen: You have what?
Margo: Chicken, my dog
Owen:Why is your dog named chicken
Margo: Because that’s what I named him. .. anyways I’m not lonely
Owen: Yes you are.
Margo: No I’m not, will you quit it?
Owen: Quit what?
Margo: UUUUGGGGHHHH
Owen: Okay fine I’ll stop, sorry I bothered you
Margo:(after a long pause) It’s okay… maybe you’re right
Owen :what do you mean
Margo: about what you were talking about before
Owen: about you being L-
Margo: Lonely? Yeah… how do you know?
Owen: I can tell
Margo: yeah but… how?
Owen: Because I’m  lonely too.
Margo: Is this going to get all sad and sappy?
Owen: It doesn’t have too. We’re just two people being lonely together.
Margo: Ironic.
Owen: But it's so true though. Like I don’t know you and you don’t know me but we’re-
Margo: Why are you being so nice to me? Like I was a complete b**** to you, I don’t deserve you being nice.
Owen: Well.. I can tell that you’re a good person, but something happened to you
Margo: Is it really that obvious?
Owen: Yeah, kinda
Margo: I was good, when I was little. I lived with my mom. We were poor, but we got through. I got to go to school, and learn how to read and write. My mom was the best person you would ever meet. She would always get home late from work, and even though she was barely awake anymore, she would still help me with my homework, and make me dinner. When I was thirteen, she caught the flu, and we didn’t have enough money for medicine… When she dies, I was supposed to go live with my dad, but i’d heard bad stories about him. So, I ran away, so here I am… Okay now you have to tell me your sob story.. Or whatever.
Owen: Okay… I never met my parents.  They gave me up as soon as I was born, so I was just a foster kid my whole life, nobody ever adopted me or… loved me. And I guess I just got tired of it, so I ran away when I was sixteen and I’ve been doing this train hobo thing I guess.
Margo: Sorry dude
Owen :I mean, It’s fine to me, I’m just not good with people because I was always someone else's kid… Sorry your mom died.
Margo: It’s… It’s okay I guess. Part of the reason I ran away was because I didn’t want to be the kid that everyone feels bad for. And I guess there’s no one to feel bad for me here.
Owen: Well now there is
Margo: Okay but don’t.
Owen: As long as you won’t feel bad for me.
Margo: Okay.
Owen: Can I… can I stay?
Margo: Well… I guess.. Okay.. yes
Owen: Yes?
Margo: Yes.
Owen: So much for not being the Boxcar children.
Margo: Shut up.