Bear-ly Coming | Teen Ink

Bear-ly Coming

June 10, 2016
By HannahNK BRONZE, Canton, Michigan
HannahNK BRONZE, Canton, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Title: Bear-ly Coming 

Characters:
Hannah: Britney: girly girl
Victoria: Katie: valley girl
Mia: Lainey: hunting girl
Monica: narrator
Bear: Carter
Chorus: Carter, Zack ,Livvie
Poetry: Livvie
Zack: Noises

Props: Suitcase, make-up case, barbie fishing pole, pond, campfire, gummy worms, chairs, notebook
Setting: Mahogany Campground, Montana

Prologue:
Narrator:  It’s present day 2016. There are 3 girls. First is Lainey; she is a free spirited girl who basically lives in the woods. Then there is Katie; a small town valley girl who is down to earth and loves animals. Last but not least there is Britney; she is the definition of a girly girl and can’t live without sparkles and the color pink. The three girls are going camping to Mahogany Campground in Montana. It’s a nice sunny day, but they have no idea what they are in for. It’s the first day of the trip and the first day Britney has ever gone camping. So it goes just about how you think it would.
Chorus: The great unknown.
Act One
Scene 1
Poetry: Sometimes every moment you can predict.
Others you can't at all.
It’s okay, life does not have a script.
Just remember if life gets you down stand back up tall.
Chorus: Good can come from bad.
(Hannah, Mia, and Victoria standing in a half circle)
Britney: Hey guys, I’m ready to go camping!
(Hannah flips hair)
Lainey: Uhm Britney, what do you have there?
(points at the luggage)
Britney : I have my pink suitcase, makeup case, and my barbie fishing rod.
(Points to the things as Hannah says them)
Katie: Britney, you known this is camping in the woods, right?
Britney: WHAT? I thought we were going to a resort. We are actually camping like with bugs and stuff?
Lainey: Yes ma’am. This will be great! Just us and nature-the best things in the world.
Katie: Yes! This is going to be so much fun!
(Katie claps)
Britney: I can’t believe you two would actually make me do this!
(hair flip)
Zack: Whistles.
Katie: Hurry up guys we are going to miss the train!
Britney: No, I’m not moving nor going to that death trap of a camping ground!
Lainey: Ugh, I got her. (annoyed tone)
Katie: I got her luggage. (annoyed tone)
Britney: No, no ,no, no, no, no. (keep saying until off of the stage)
(Mia pushes Hannah off stage, and Victoria grabs luggage and walks behind Mia and Hannah.)

Scene 2
(all girls sitting on the train Katie holding a notebook)
Katie: So what are some things that we should do?
Britney: We should just forget this whole plan and go to a nice private resort.
Lainey: No! I told you already it will be so much fun! We can go fishing, picking berries, and have a fantastic bonfire!
Katie: Yes, it will be fantastic! It will be just like camp again!
Britney: I never went on that trip because it’s disgusting. Camping is so gross; I can’t believe you’re making me do this!
Lainey: Whatever we do, we just 100% have to remember to lock up our food if we want to eat anything on this trip. Britney, that can be your job.
(turn notebook to audience with paper that says “Britney tie up food”)
Katie: You are so right. We don’t want any bears to come. Britney are you hearing this?
(shaking notebook)
Britney: Ya ya, lock the bears or something. I just want this death trip to be over with. (not paying attention and annoyed tone)
Chorus: Always pay attention...

Act Two
Scene 1
(pull out fake pond and sign)
Narrator: The girls are now off the train and are in Mahogany Campground. Katie and Lainey could not be more ecstatic. Britney on the other hand is in a bad mood. She already wasn’t happy that they were going, but she didn’t think they were actually going there!
Poetry: Always pay attention
Don’t let things go in one ear and out the other
Not paying attention will equal detention
And if you do it again it will lead to another
Lainey: Oh my gosh! I can’t believe we are finally here! It is just us, trees, and the ground that touches our feet. (excited tone)
Britney: And the awful bugs, rodents, bears and who knows what else. (disgusted tone)
Katie: Britney, get out of your bad mood. You are being a bad friend. We have been planning this trip for a long time and it’s great that we are finally here. Can you at least try to have some fun?
Britney: Whatever.
Lainey: Ok girls, now get your fishing poles. We are going to the lake. Britney, tie up the food so nothing comes and eats it. Katie, get the worms.
Britney: Okay, not like it matters and like actual worms????? (horrified tone)
(eye roll and ughh from Victoria and Mia)

Scene 2
(while talking they are walking to the fake pond)
Lainey: All right guys, let's get to fishing. BRITNEY, what is that?
Britney: It's my Barbie fishing pole.
Katie: Britney, you can't possibly fish or catch anything with that!
Britney: Well... I can try. (irritated tone)
Narrator: As guessed, Britney catches no fish. And now the girls are walking back to their tent.
(Hannah, Victoria, and Mia are walking)
Katie: I can’t believe I caught a fish. This trip is fantastic!
Lainey: I know. I was lucky enough to catch 10. (sarcastic tone)
Britney: The only reason I didn’t catch any fish was because I didn’t want to touch the worms...those things squirm you know? (disturbed tone)
Katie: Whatever, Britney let’s just go back and eat dinner.
Lainey: Yes… I’m starved.
Britney: Yes, a fine marinated filet mignon sounds great.
(Lainey and Katie roll their eyes)
Katie: What filet mignon? We’re eating fish.
(the girls walk back to the campground)
Narrator: The girls walk back to their tent only to find their food gone and bear tracks in the grass.
Lainey: BRITNEY, WHERE IS OUR FOOD!
Katie: Britney, she told you to lock up the food.
Britney: Well... What lock I-I don’t remember anything about a lock? (dismissive face/tone)
Carter: ROOOAAARRRRRRRR (bear voice)
Lainey: Britney… hand me my gun now.
Britney: AHHHHHH BEAR!(runs off the stage)
Lainey: Katie… gun...now
Katie: Okay (Hands gun over feverishly)
Zack: Pop!
(Carter goes off stage) (sets gun down)
Scene 3
Narrator: Lainey has shot the bear, but the bear managed to escaped with one bullet lodged in his chest.The girls stay up all night looking for Britney.
(girls stand in a triangle Hannah at the tip and Mia and Victoria next to each other)
Katie: Britney… where were you?
Britney: I heard the bear and I ran.
(Hannah slowly coming back on stage)
Lainey: Thank goodness we found you before you got lost. I would’ve been worried sick.
Britney: Whatever. Did you shoot that horrid beast? The bear was huge; like I didn’t know animals could even grow that big.
Lainey: I shot him right in the stomach! It was great! He is laying over there.
(Mia points to where Carter was lying)
Katie: Oh my gosh! The bear is not there! I saw you shoot it. Where could it have gone? It should be dead.
Bear: ROARRRRR!
(Carter comes out and grabs Mia and Victoria away)
Lainey: Ahhhhhhh!
Katie: Britney, helppp!
(Hannah picks up gun looks at it and pauses then slowly raises it and shoots)
Zach: POP!
(bear falls to the ground)
Scene 4
Narrator: The bear is now dead, and let's just say some things have changed.
(Mia and Victoria walk over to Hannah into a group hug)
Katie: You… you saved us!
Lainey: That bear would have killed us!
Britney: I don’t even know what happened. I saw the gun and just pulled the trigger.
(all sit around campfire)
Katie: I don’t think I want to go camping again for a while.
Lainey: Ya, maybe we should take a break and go to a resort next  time.
Britney: Nooo! I love it out here now. It is so fantastic! You can hear the crisp wind in the trees and the adorable squeak of animals. It’s amazing! We should go camping all the time.
(all girls giggle)
Narrator: As you can see Britney now loves the wilderness and can’t get enough of camping. The girls could not be closer friends and are truly like sisters. See you next time Montana, maybe without the bears.
Chorus: Good can come from bad.


The author's comments:

Co-authors

Mia Wolfbauer

Hannah Kulp

Victoria Sheere

 

Three girls go camping in the woods and get an unexpected visit.