The Great Investigation | Teen Ink

The Great Investigation

May 31, 2016
By michael.gorman BRONZE, Franklin, Wisconsin
michael.gorman BRONZE, Franklin, Wisconsin
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Characters-
Jim- 50 year old man who is a detective and is called to look into recent complaint from a warehouse worker.
Bob- 30 year old man is Jim’s partner and is new into becoming a detective
Officer 1- First arrival on the scene of the crime
Officer 2- Take Jim and Bob to the crime scene and helps look for clues
Darrel- The shooter of the body found in the warehouse
Chris- Accused of the murder even though didn’t do it

Setting- It’s a cold foggy morning around 6am, squad of 3 police cars sit in front of the warehouse, Jim and Bob arrive in a black car to come check out the recent complaints at the warehouse.

(Coming from the right of the stage Jim and Bob enter)
(Car door closes)
Bob- Talk about starting work at this early in the morning.
Jim- Yeah tell me about it, why can’t murders happen later in the day.
Bob- That’s cold Jim...
Jim- Sorry about that, I haven’t even got any coffee yet.
(Jim and Bob walk to the first officer who arrived on scene)
Jim- So what do we have going on inside the warehouse?
Officer 1- I got the call around 4:30am saying an anonymous caller said they heard gunfire at the warehouse on 57th and Carol. I assumed it was one of the workers but I wasn’t sure.
Bob- At this early in the morning it couldn’t of been a worker.
Jim- I agree the Factory doesn’t open till 7, it would of had to be the killer.
Bob- Let’s not jump to any conclusion yet Jim.
Jim- Nothing wrong with assuming. 
Officer 1- I’ll have my partner take you to the crime scene
(Officer 1 yells out to the left of stage “Hey officer 2 come take our detectives to the crime scene)
(Officer 2 walks in from the left side of the stage)
Officer 2- Morning detective, if you would follow me into the warehouse.
(All 3 walk to the back of the stage into the warehouse)
Officer 2- It’s just around the corner
(Officer 2 points at the body laying on the ground)
Jim- Hey Bob why don’t you walk around this room looking for some clues and I’ll take a look at this body.
Bob- Question, officer 2 where did this call come from?
Officer 2- Pay phone, it’s out back.
Bob- Thank you, I’m gonna take a look at that and try and find some prints.
(Bob walks off the stage through the back)
Jim- Well the victim was shot three times, all three in the chest. Someone wanted to make sure he wasn’t gonna survive.
Jim- Officer 2 can you go get forensics so they can look for prints and figure out what type of gun was used.
Officer 2- Sure thing detective I’ll be back shortly.
(Officer 2 leaves the warehouse)
Jim- If I was the shooter where would I place the weapon. (thinks to himself)
(Jim walks around the room and tries to think what the shooter would do)
Jim- Well that looks odd there’s light coming in from somewhere even though it’s completely dark in this room.
(Jim notices that there’s a whole in the window) 
(Pulls out his phone)
Jim- Hey Bob I’m pretty sure the shooter through the weapon out the window. We need to go check out the alley way for the weapon I’ll meet you there. 
(Jim leaves the warehouse and exits the stage to the left)
(Sun starts to come up, stage starts to light up)
(From stage right both Jim and Bob walk into the alley)
Jim- Okay we need to pan out throughout this whole alley and find that weapon.
Bob- Okay you search on the right side, and I’ll look on the left side.
(Both Bob and Jim start searching for the weapon)
Bob- Hey Jim!! You might wanna come and look at this.
(Jim walks over and looks behind two garbage cans)
Jim- Well would you look at that, looks like we found our murder weapon.
(Can we have forensics come to our area and get this weapon)
(Lights darken and current closes)
End of Scene 1
Setting- Bob and Jim enter the forensics lab to talk to the analysis about what he has found on weapon from the murder site.
(Door opens)
(Enters from stage right Jim and Bob)
Jim- Morning, so what’s the news you found for us?
Forensics Analysis- Well I found two set of prints on the gun?
Bob- Are the printers the shooter and the victim?
Forensics Analysis- I would have to say yes and no. The first set of prints we found came from Chris Henderson and the second came from Darrel Smith.
Jim- Now that we have two suspects might as well go and bring them for questioning.
(Stage goes dark and current closes)
End of Scene 2
Setting- Jim and Bob are sitting in the living room of Chris Henderson talking to him about his possible play in the murder.
(Jim and Bob walk up to the door and knock)
(Door opens)
Jim- Good afternoon, I’m detective Jim and this is my partner Bob, is the residence of Chris Henderson?
Chris- Why yes it is, may I help you with something detectives?
Jim- Can we come in and ask you some questions?
Chris- Sure why not
(Jim and Bob walk in and sit down on the couch)
Chris- So detectives what can I help you with?
Bob- Well let’s just start with you telling us where you were on the night of March 6th.
Chris- Okay, well I got off of work around 11:45pm and some co-workers asked if I wanted to get a few drinks at the bar on 53rd and College. I think it was called “The Crown”. We stayed there to last call which around 3am, by then I called a cab to come get me. I arrived home around 4am and then I went to bed.
Jim- Did anyone witness you coming home?
Chris- No, it was late at night nobody was on the streets.
Chris- May I just ask what this all about?
Jim- We found a .38 caliber pistol at a crime scene and we found your fingerprints on the weapon.
Chris- Hey now!! If you think I killed someone that is not true. I own that gun but I haven’t shot it since I came back from the war.
Bob- Do you know how the gun ended up at the crime scene then?
Chris- It’s usually in a case in my room, I didn’t think anybody knew about it.
Jim- So you are saying that someone stole your gun without you knowing?
Chris- Must be because like I said I haven’t shot it since I came back from the war.
Jim- Until we find anything else about this investigation, we’re gonna have to take you in for futher questioning.
Chris- This is ridiculous!!
Bob- This is only for precaution and so you don’t leave town, so just stand up!!
(Chris stands up and gets handcuffs on him)
(All three walk off stage left)
(Curtain closes)
End of Scene 3
Setting- Jim and Bob are now talking to Darrel Smith whose fingerprints were also on the gun.
(Jim and Bob knock on the door)
Jim- This has to be the guy
Bob- I feel like Chris was hiding something from us
Jim- What do you mean?
Bob- How do you not know your gun was gone... I think he gave the gun to Darrel.
Jim- That would make sense, they must be working together.
(Door opens)
Darrel- Can I help you?
Jim- Hello I’m detective Jim and this is my partner Bob, may we ask you some questions?
Darrel- Yeah sure... (Showing concern)
(Jim and Bob walk in and sit down on the couch across from Darrel)
Darrel- What can I help you detectives with?
Jim- May I ask where you were on the night of March 6th?
Darrel- Hmmm let me think... Well I got up around 3am to get ready for work. I left my house around 4am and I was at work until 3pm and then I came back to my house after.
Bob- What is occupation anyways?
Darrel- I’m a warehouse worker.
(Bob looks over at Jim)
Bob- Do you know a Chris Henderson by any chance??
Darrel- Yeah we used to be old war buddies, I haven’t seen him in a couple weeks. Why are you asking?
Jim- We are investigating a murder and your fingerprints came up on his .38 caliber pistol.
Darrel- What that’s impossible this has to be a setup!!
Bob- Wow the same exact thing that Chris said when we brought this up...
Darrel- This isn’t right how could Chris frame me like this, I swear I didn’t do it.
Jim- Question what warehouse do you work at?
Darrel- Masterson’s it’s on 56th and Carol.
Bob- That’s right across from the warehouse where the shooting happened!!
(Jim stands up)
Jim- Darrel you’re under arrest for the shooting of Ray Charles.
(Darrel stands up and gets handcuffed)
(Lights dimmer and curtains falls)
(End of Scene 4)
Setting- Jim and Bob are sitting in the Captain's office.
Captain- So have you figured out the investigation?
Bob- Yes sir
Captain- Well let’s hear it.
Jim- With the evidence we have and the interviews we have conducted we have concluded that Chris Henderson gave the gun to Darrel Smith who then shot Ray Charles. With knowing that both people were involved in the crime we will like to charge Chris Henderson with helping in the murder and Darrel Smith with first degree murder.
(Captain looks over the notes)
Captain- That looks and sounds about right go on with that.
(Jim and Bob stand up and walk off stage right)
(Jim and Bob enter stage left and walk up to Chris Henderson)
Chris- So what’s going on??
Jim- Your friend Darrel told us everything Chris.
Chris- What?!?! How could he!! This plan was supposed to work and nobody was supposed to know!!
Jim- We are charging you with helping and planning a murder, we will see you in court.
(Jim and Bob leave the room and head across the hall)
(Door opens)
Jim- Well Darrel we know everything now
(Darrel head is down on the table)
Darrel- I can’t believe I actually went along with this...
Jim- Darrel Smith we’re charging you with first degree murder of Ray Charles.
(Lights dimmer and curtains close)
END OF PLAY