Cold Lips Among A Warm Cigar | Teen Ink

Cold Lips Among A Warm Cigar

By astelaas19 BRONZE, Franklin, Wisconsin
astelaas19 BRONZE, Franklin, Wisconsin

Cast:

Wil Morris- A 33 year old British Private Investigator
Amato Liborio- 25 year old Italian, brother to Jacapo
Jacopo Liborio- 21 year old Italian, brother to Amato
Giustino Prospero- 30 year old leader, half-brother to Taddeo
Taddeo Prospero- 27 year old, half-Japanese brother to Giustino
Takehiko Juro- 19 year old Japanese assassin
Fang Xiong- 19 year old, Chinese Mafia
Fenzhi Qiu- 29 year old, Chinese Triad Boss
Takara Atsuko- Japanese Yakuza
Marianne Kiyoko- Japanese Undercover
Mei Mayu- 17 Year Old Brothel Worker
Brunella Atsuko - 21 Year Old Japanese, Brothel Worker

ACT 1

The 50s are a grand ole’ time, but nevertheless bloody, we turn our eyes to Chicago, January 1st 1953, a cruel time for some, where our noses are runny, and some hearts are blowing colder than the winter breeze. A mix of oriental antics, and intermixing of Italian and Japanese families forms a Chicago full of culture, prejudice, and betrayal

Stage setting center, dark purple-ish tinted spotlight on the center, smooth bass guitar should be an ambience, there should be buildings in the background, stage lighting dim

(ENTER, Jacopo, Amato)

JACOPO: *Takes a smoke* “Damn, Amato it’s your birthday. Well tonight we’re going to find you a broad young lady.”
AMATO: “Aw, you sly dog. I’d love that, but I know what we should do tonight, you still have the dough right brotha?”
JACOPO: *Pulls out cash from pocket* “Yeah, nice and fresh, it’s all for you tonight, you’re welcome” *Hands cash to Jacopo*
JACOPO: “Grazie mille , fratello. I know we’re going to have a great night out there ah?”
AMATO: “I just love the Jap Puttana, it is but a new flavor is it not?”
JACOPO: “Alright young rabbit, we’ll make a stroll to that new brothel eh?”
AMATO: “Hell Yes, Fratello, again, thank you. But are you sure Papa Liborio will care? He may be our father, but he still has a mafia to run.”
JACOPO: “Ehh, brother, brother. Be at ease, tonight, you will mate like rabbit ah?”
(JACOPO AND AMATO WALK OFF TO THE RIGHT, ENTER TAKEHIKO JURO)

TAKEHIKO: “Nantekotta i? What the hell? Those Itaria no scum? At our brothel?” They must not come to our brothel, I will not let the Yakuza Italio Mafia’s reputation fail due to two idiots, those bastards. It was already enough perversion that we now have so much intermixing of Japanese and Italian. I hunger for the blood of Bakka”
(CURTAINS CLOSE, END SCENE 1)

SCENE 2: LUST
Setting Center, Smoke, Stripper Poles And Scantily Clad Women, Strip Club-Like Setting

(ENTER Mei Mayu, Brunella Atsuko, Jacopo, Amato)

JACOPO: “Ladies, ladies. *Blows kiss*, my brother wishes for a nice long night!” (AMATO BLUSHES, SWEATING)
AMATO: “Silencio Fratello, do you not see these lovely women. If I wish to caress them, I would find it only appropriate that we ask them nicely” (Mei glances at him, and looks away at him trying not to draw attention”
BRUNELLA: (GET’S OFF POLE AND UP TO AMATO) “Mei Mayu, she not for sale right now. I am though.”
AMATO: “Mei? (Looks at Mei) you don’t mean that fine young lady right there?”
BRUNELLA: “Hai-, I mean yes. She’s had a long night, if you want me that’s alright, please don’t ask her.”
MEI: *Get’s down from pole* “Atsuko, it’s alright. *Sigh*, it’s my job.”
AMATO: “You see, it’s okay. Now, how much do you charge for some sweet love?”
MEI: “One hundred per hour-”
AMATO: *Immediately grabs cash and shoves it to her face in haste* “Oh, apologies, I am just so enthralled by your stunning beauty. Now, lead me to your room.”
(Mei grabs Amato’s hand, and exits off to the right of the stage)
JACOPO: “HAVE FUN BROTHER!” *Laughs*
(Sounds of door slamming open, ENTER TADDEO PROSPERO, GIUSTINO PROSPERO)

GIUSTINO: “Jacopo… ratto bastardo, it was you last night. I should’ve known never to trust a Liborio *lights cigar, smokes*, madre stronzo.”
JACOPO: “Giustino, please, please I can explain!”
BRUNELLA: *Handcuffs Jacopo to a table*
TADDEO: *Unsheathes Katana* “This was my mother’s blade, she used it on scum like you. It is something of the family, like that money you stole.”
JACOPO: “Is that what this is about? Please, I just wanted to make my brother happy tonight, it’s his compleanno. Have some compassion amico!”
GIUSTINO: “Oh, so you gave him my money, to use on MY w*****!”
JACOPO: “Una Momento, per favore, I didn’t mean to”
GIUSTINO: “Silencio, pezzo di merda. I don’t have the time for this.”
TADDEO: “Ichi…. Ni….SAN!!!!” *Raises blade in the air”
JACOPO: “HE IS IN THE ROOM, PER FAVORE JUST LET ME LIVE!”
GIUSTINO: “Hmmph, you  really are bastardo. Taddeo, I want you to do this like how did your mother say? Sammm-whatever it was”
TADDEO: *Get’s in stance* “Like samurai brother, my blade, the Buraddohaundobureido shall taste blood today….”
(LIGHTS CUT OUT, FOLLOWED BY INTENSE SHRIEKS AND SCREAMS FROM JACOPO, SLICING SOUNDS, AS CURTAINS CLOSE)

SCENE END

SCENE 3: BLOODSTAINS

(STAGE CENTER, ON STAGE AMATO, MEI MAYU, On Bed covered by thick white sheet, so that audience can’t see, but there is a light behind so that you can see the silhouettes of the two characters, no other lights, scene begin)

MEI: *ON TOP OF AMATO* “Oh you are so big, I love you long time!”
AMATO: “OH YEAH BABY” *AMATO smacks Mei’s buttox*
(THIS CONTINUES FOR ABOUT A FEW MINUTES, THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN….)
MEI: “Y’know, you lasted longer than most men….”
AMATO: *PANTING HEAVILY* “That was a great baby, wow, we should swing some other time”
MEI: “As fun as this was, I’m sorry to tell you-”
AMATO: “Sorry to tell me what?”
MEI: “This brothel, is owned by the Prosperos, and I’m sorry to do this.” *Pulls out Tanto, stabs AMATO, blood effect on sheet*
AMATO: *COUGH* “Why?”
MEI: *REPEATEDLY STABS*
(ENTER TADDEO PROSPERO)
TADDEO: “Is that his brother” *Looking at Mei*
MEI: “Hai” *Nodding yes*
TADDEO: “Here, cover yourself up, go upstairs and get changed, we’re leaving.” *Throws towel*

SCENE END

SCENE 4: Lies

(CURTAINS OPEN, SCENE TAKARA ATSUKO, MARIANNE KIYOKO, WILL MORRIS, SETTING INTERROGATION ROOM, AMBIENCE: SMOOTH SAXOPHONE JAZZ)

TAKARA: “I can’t believe this, you.. You set me up!” *Cuffed SCREAMING AT MARIANNE”
MARIANNE: “You know, I never lied to you about my last name. It is Kiyoko, but my first name is not Kira, it’s Marianne, and I’m with Mr. Morris here investigating all this gang nonsense. I can let you go easily, no lockup, god forbid I wouldn’t want some man like you getting torn up behind bars….”
TAKARA: “You’re insane, I am not some bakka. I’m not going to say s***!”
WILL: “Settle down there mate, *lights cigar*, now I’m giving you to the count of three.”
TAKARA: “You are not going to do jack s***.”
WILL: *Burns Takara on face with Cigar*
TAKARA: “You’re a cop, you can’t do this.”
WILL: “I prefer Private Investigator, but tons of other chav-mouth, halfwits have been in that same chair you’re in. Now if I were you, I’d speak up yeah?”
TAKARA: “Ar-right, I will tell you, what do you want to know?”
MARIANNE: “First, we want to know where the Prospero Brothers are, we know your sister Brunella is working for them.”
TAKARA: “Correct, but, I think they have a brothel, downtown. I think I saw them going over to the Flying Dragon Chinese Restaurant, they’re going to be discussing business with the Triads. Can I go now?”
WILL: “Fine, get out of my f***ing sight, but if I ever see your face again, it’s going to be without teeth all bloodied up covered in muck off the ground, capiche?”

SCENE END

SCENE 5: MORTE DI KAZOKU NO MENB?

(CHINESE RESTAURANT SETTING, CURTAINS OPEN, Table In The Center, Song: Dance Of The Yi People Playing, ENTER: TADDEO PROSPERO, GIUSTINO PROSPERO, FENZHI QIU, FANG XIONG)

FENZHI: “So, what did you want to discuss?”
GIUSTINO: “Mr. Fenzhi Qiu, you know I like only two things in this world, money and women.”
FENZHI: “Please Continue….”
GIUSTINO: “I would like some of your Chinese Concubines for my brothel, I’d love some more color if you know what I mean”
FENZHI: “How much?”
GIUSTINO: “9k for 20 women”
FENZHI: “Shénme t? m? de? You’ve got to be f***ing me”
GIUSTINO: “Is something the matter?”
FENZHI: “It’s not the money, but we don’t have that many women to give away!”
TADDEO: “C’mon brother, let’s take our business elsewhere, we don’t want to stain our money with the hands of a couple Chinks.”
FENZHI: “What, did you just say? Chinks? Oh hell no,Sh?le t?men, NOW!”
TADDEO: “Huh?”
FANG: “Yes sir.” *pulls out pistol fires 3 times at Giustino, Giustino falls backwards bleeding*
TADDEO: *Looks at brother in horror* “NO-O-O-O!” *Reaches for Katana*
FANG: *From off stage a Shuriken is thrown at the gun hand of Fang* “Aiiii, F***!”
(ENTER TAKEHIKO JURO, FRONT FLIPS IN WITH A KATANA)
TAKEHIKO: “If any body is going to kill him, it’s going to be me, you took my contract you f***!”
FENZHI: “Who are you?”
TAKEHIKO: “Takehiko, assassin, Taddeo, prepare to die”
TADDEO: “Even as tears fill my eyes, my heart rages. I will kill all of you!” *RUNS AT TAKEHIKO*
TAKEHIKO: *Blocks swing* “It is pointless, Taddeo, you will die just as your brother did just now!”
TADDEO: “SILENCE, FIEND!”
(ENTER, WILL MORRIS, MARIANNE KIYOKO)

WILL: “HANDS UP, PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR, ALL OF YOU ARE ARRESTED”
(Everyone stops)
MARIANNE: “All of you down on the ground!”
FANG: *Grabs Gun Shoots fires at Marianne, Marianne Falls to the ground grabbing her shoulder* “I hate cops”
WILL: *Glances at Marianne, looks at everybody, drops gun to the ground*
(As Taddeo is distracted by everything, Takehiko swings and kills Taddeo)
(ENTER TAKAHARA WITH TWO PISTOLS)
*TAKAHARA SHOOTS FANG in the head and TAKEHIKO in the leg each 4 times*

WILL: “Takahara?”
TAKAHARA: “Yes, it’s me I saw Brunella, she saw everything from outside, I had to help.”
MARIANNE: *Breathes in* “Glad you *cough* did.”
FENZHI: *HANDS UP* “Look,I just w-want out from this s***, you’ve already killed my right hand man, what else do you want? Just leave damn it, I don’t want any more trouble!”
WILL: “Well, I’m just here to arrest Mr. Juro and Taddeo over there, both of you are under arrest for multiple counts of murder!”
TADDEO: “Damn it, I’m not going to die behind bars. I have lost all honor, my brother, the only family I had left, dead, f*** all of you *Pulls out gun*”
WILL: “Put the gun down….”
TADDEO: “It’s not for you.” *Lifts gun to head and pulls the trigger*
WILL: “S***E, HOLY F***! I guess…. That means just you, Takehiko. You’re coming with us, and Fenzhi do you have a telephone? You’re free to continue on as you please just as long as-”
FENZHI: *Pulls out a submachine gun from inside his Suit Jacket, kills Will, Takahara, Taddeo* “What did you f***s expect? Idiots, all of you, Takehiko was it? If I was you I’d run, the heat’s going to be here soon, *Mumbles* never f*** with a Triad Boss”
(TAKEHIKO EXITS)
FENZHI: *Get’s up, and walks over to Marianne*
MARIANNE: “You, y-you. Just let me go!”
FENZHI: “You know I can’t do that, look at this big mess, it’s going to cost me a lot of f***ing money.”
MARIANNE: *Shakingly lifts up her arm*
FENZHI: “A gentleman would never hit a lady, but it’s not me that’s about to hit ya, it’s this bullet right here *Shoots Marianne in the head*, Zai Jian, b****.”
SCENE END

EPILOGUE: Mind Of A Triad

(Setting: A Dark Room One Chair, and the only light is flashing on Fenzhi,)

FENZHI: “I’ve seen too much death in my time, I guess 4 follows me everywhere I go. Y’know, back in my country, 4 is an unlucky number, because it sounds so similar to the word: “death” in Chinese, it never was pleasant, but hell…. I’ve seen it everywhere. It drains me beyond belief, I never thought I would be the one left alive, after that kid who was my bodyguard had his brains blown out like a cow. I can’t find any point of end for this insanity, I killed, I lied, I cheated them out. The funny thing is, I never wanted it, but I still do. What I’m trying to say is, this s*** is pointless, that’s all.”

END OF PLAY

This was inspired by a lot of Mafia Films, and personally just something I'd like to see on stage. While filled with profanity and controversy so much so that it'd never make it to the eyes of children, I wrote this so I could sort of entertain my mind with some concept that I constructed within hours.