Samurai Lovers | Teen Ink

Samurai Lovers

By LadyAthenaFae SILVER, Holdenville, Oklahoma
LadyAthenaFae SILVER, Holdenville, Oklahoma

Cast of Characters
Felicity Jones:
Protagonist. Orphaned samurai protégée. At birth she was left in the woods to die, where her samurai master KAGAMAI rescued her. The only objects in her possession was a picture, a golden locket, a thin sheet wrapped around her and she was slipped into an unzipped book bag.  

Elenore Gweyn:
Orphaned samurai protégée. At age 7 she was orphaned as her Asian mafia father was attacked and the rest of her family brutally murdered. At age 8 KIGAMAI found her stealing food from a store. FELICITES lover.
Master Kigamai:
Old master of the samurai with holy sanction for young samurai. Takes in orphans and trains them. Enemy of Asian Mafia.
Queen Kiara:
Wife of underground Asian mafia Emperor. FELICITIES aunt.
Emperor Zhan:
Asian mafia samurai emperor. Kills ELENORES family and master KAGAMAI. FELICITIES father.

Scene 1
(Curtain draws up to a cell dimly lighted with candle set on a table [UR] and the full moon through the small cell window [UL]. There are dirt floors and one small grated window overlooking a hectic sea, drabby rainy sky. Rusted metal cell door [DR, L, C] with two, identical, metal spring beds [[CR, L] with thin, gray looking mattresses and matching blankets, no sheets. A metal, rusted, lopsided toilet sits in the back [UC] where the girls are meant to use the bathroom. Cold mist is created in the air every time they breathe, floating up to the pointed, excessively tall ceiling where holes drip water into the dirt floors.. Lots of grays, dark shadows, rodents scurrying about. Thrust stage.]

FELICITY
(Paces back and forth muttering, wringing hands)
Damn it KAGAMAI your old spirt better be keeping our girl safe you hear me?! Don’t make me come find you’re reincarnate and give them a peace o’ my mind, ya hear?
          (Cell door slams shut, the locks clicking into place as a short, bulky, black haired, tan woman is thrown to the ground)

ELENORE
…City
(Sputters, grasping the air reaching and turning for FELICITY)
FELICITY
(Sobbing uncontrollable, springing to reach ELENORE)
You Pigs! What’ve ya done!

ELENORE

S..shh..theyll come

FELICITY
My fa...he wouldn’t harm me

ELENORE:
(Almost asleep)
Wha..?

FELICITY:
Shh, nothing my sweet, let’s get you to bed.

Scene 2
(Swoops up ELENORE as cell doors creaks open barely, a woman in rags with warm water and clothe sneaks into the room, barely making a sound)

QUEEN KIARIA:
Shh, I’m here to help, do not fear me. My husband doesn’t know I am here….Do I know you?

FELICITY
You must be outta ya gore lady, thinkin’ o’ some other broad. I don’t know ya lady. Must be thinkin’ o’ some other broad.

QUEEN KIARIA:
But….you look so much like my sist…..The first queen. Her and her child died during childbirth.
(Wrings hands as she finishes cleaning up Elenore, muttering leaves cell)

Died, she died, must be dead, there was a funeral but… The babies casket was closed! It can’t be!

(A loud clang sends the queen running back to her quarters just as she is turning to confront felicity)

Scene 3
(ELENORE lays asleep, FELICITY turns her head to stare out the window, tears falling as she begins to speak into the night)

FELICITY
O’ lord Elenore we sho’ got ourselves in a pickle huh girl? I can still remember why we set out to get ourselves captured, how we planned to avenge Masta. We was all just mossin’ about on that warm summer day, relaxin’, when those men stormed the isle. You were wide eyed, terrified in that cute little way you get before trainin’ kicks in. I still remember looking to the west bank, my eyes landing on the cool grayness of the Emperor attacking, his symbol bright across his chest. I seent im’ so many times in this picture
(Opens locket, stares at photo of pregnant woman and man on beach)
My father was staring back at me. Then out of nowhere, Samuel, my competitor, knocks me to the ground. Sacrificing his life to save mine, can ya’ believe that arse? And as I spun to see ya’ with your long raven hair flyin’ in the wind, I spotted KAGAMI, poor pa’. That spear hurtled thro his frail body like knife thro butta’. I had to pull ya’, screamin an crying, breakin my heart. I had to bring ya to safety under the isle. Ya know we was the only ones who survived that day? The attack of the Emperor, the attack from my father, the man who murdered yo’ family. I knew if I told ya, and if yous hearin’ this now, you’d hate me through and through, no doubt bout it.
(ELENORE turns in sleep to wrap arms around FELICITY)

Scene 4
(Cell door slams open, guard’s storm in swords and guns pointed at the samurai assassins, ELENORE springs up and FELICITY pushes ELENORE behind her)

GUARD 1
To your feet whores! The Emperor is to see you now.
(Puts cuffs around girls hands and feet)
(Enters EMPORER ZHAN, exit guards)

EMPORER ZHAN
Tsk! Tsk! Such pretty little girls to get captured, such darling
(Brushes FELICITIES chin)
Children. You dear must be royalty, does your dear lovely ELENORE know of your TRUE heritage? AH, but that is no matter, we are here today to find one thing, why dear children have you penetrated my fortress, only to allow yourselves to be captured?

FELICITY
(Stiffly, knocks hands away)
Needed supplies, weapons, saw the place, and took the opportunity, no more.

EMPORER ZHAN
You had your chance dear, how could you lie to your dear father

Scene 5
(Silence falls as FELICITY stands stricken with terror waiting for ELENORES response)

ELENORE
Your father…? This man is your father…? I….That doesn’t matter, you keep your hands off FELICITY you terrible man, you have ruined my life enough and you will not ruin her!!
(Charges ZHAN)

ZHAN
Foolish, FOOLISH GIRL!!! I have power you couldn’t even dream of, you wouldn’t even believe to be true!
(Uses some sort of magical looking force to throw Elenore against the cell wall, holding her in place)

(FELICITY beings to hover above the ground false floor vibrating rodents and rocks coming off floor)

FELICITY
(Sounding possessed, with multiple voices, clear and concise unlike her usual way of speak)
Wouldn’t. Do That. If. I. Were. You. This fury, it’s rising inside me, I can feel it burning as I have for years. Now you put her down before the power of you, strengthened by the witch’s power of my mother, that you didn’t know I had. I have been welding this power, and practicing, with the help of KAGAMAI, and I. WILL. DESTROY. YOU!!

(Picks up candle, toss’s aside, throws sharpened candle holder across room with force that slices ZHAN’S throat)

ZHAN
W..What is happening?
(Sputters falling lifelessly to the ground)

FELICTY AND ELENORE TOGETHER
Oh Buddha!

Scene 6      
(FELICITY grabs ELENORE as she faints falling to the ground)

FELICITY
Oh sweetie we aint got time for this
                         (Slaps ELENORE)

ELENORE
(Jumps awake)
Lord FELICITY please tell me you have a plan to get us out of here

FELICITY
That girl, you know I can promise
(Smirks, pushing aside the toilet to reveal a grate)
This is what I been planning, and this is just a time as any to get on out of here, what’ya say me and yo’ pretty face get on out of here, play some ninja turtles in the sewer, eh?
(Pushes previously unscrewed grate aside)

ELENORE
You know dear, you’ve got quite a bit of explaining to do, but I trust you. And just know, you’re not judged on where you came from, it’s who you are now that will mean everything in the world to me.        

FELICITY
I know girl, and ya know I’m starting to think maybe that man was good for something, if it wasn’t for him I couldn’ve saved you back there. I accept my past, but let’s get on with our future before the past catches up with us huh?
(Guards shout in background as girls make their escape, their revenge fulfilled, and their love strong)

(Curtain closes, lights brighten, actors come out and bow)

Published on the front of TeenInk magazine multiple times, in both poems and memoirs and fantasies, Athena Malott has combined her love for fantasy with a unique playwright format to bring you this play. Readers and Viewers of her play will fall in love with the unconditional love of Felicity and Elenore and their heroism in avenging their samurai master. Athena wishes to one day join in the adventures of her characters more permanently in a fantasy novel.