A Day In The Life | Teen Ink

A Day In The Life

April 20, 2016
By jasper_drabbles BRONZE, Boston, Massachusetts
jasper_drabbles BRONZE, Boston, Massachusetts
2 articles 0 photos 2 comments

“A DAY IN THE LIFE”


Cast of Characters

 

AUTHOR’S NOTE – All the characters can be played by any gender, so long as Jamie, Spencer, and Parker are the same gender.

 

SAWYER, a teenager with depression. Surprisingly optimistic, a morning person, despises math. Has never been an advanced student, but tries their best nonetheless.
DEPRESSION, the personification of the mental illness. A jerk. Like that one friend who always tries to one-up your experience.
ALEX, a teenager with anxiety. Loves reading sci-fi novels and making fan theories about TV shows. A total nerd, but a lovable one. Passionate about animal rights.
ANXIETY, the personification of the mental illness. Never heard of the phrase “if you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all.” Quiet, but their words are like a right hook to the stomach.
JAMIE, a not-necessarily-skinny track star suffering from anorexia. A follower and not a leader. Someone who wouldn’t ask their host for water even if they were dying of thirst.
ANOREXIA, the personification of the mental illness. Chews gum and is probably judging you. Regina George, but in your head and regulating your eating patterns.
MR. NELSON, a high school English teacher. Young, always tries his best to see the good in his students. Hasn’t lost faith in humanity yet. (Can be played by the actor who plays Drew, Spencer, or Parker.)
MR. RAYMOND, a high school Geometry teacher. Has almost given up on life, but isn’t quite there yet. (Can be played by the actor who plays Drew, Spencer, or Parker.)
DREW, Alex’s friend. Honor roll student but completely oblivious when it comes to people. (Can be played by the actor who plays Mr. Nelson, Mr. Raymond, Spencer, or Parker.)

SPENCER, Jamie’s friend. Sarcastic and a class clown, but secretly a people-pleaser. (Can be played by the actor who plays Mr. Raymond, Mr. Nelson, or Drew. *NOTE: MUST BE SAME GENDER AS JAMIE*)
PARKER, Jamie’s friend. Spencer’s sidekick. Loves high-fiving people for no reason. (Can be played by the actor who plays Mr. Raymond, Mr. Nelson, or Drew. *NOTE: MUST BE SAME GENDER AS JAMIE*)

 

 

 

 

 


AT RISE:
SCENE 1 - WAKING UP
A teenager’s bedroom. Thursday morning at 5:59AM. SAWYER, just your average teenager, lies in bed. DEPRESSION stands unnoticed in the shadows, watching Sawyer sleep. Suddenly, an alarm clock goes off and Sawyer shuts it off, yawning and stretching.


DEPRESSION
Morning.


SAWYER
Oh, good morning, Depression!


DEPRESSION
What’s so good about it?


SAWYER
Well, first of all, it’s Thursday. Second, I’ve got P.E. today and-


DEPRESSION
It was a rhetorical question.


SAWYER
Oh.


There is an uncomfortable silence.


SAWYER
Well! Gotta get out of bed. We've got a big day ahead of us. I've got to try really hard in Geometry today. Mom grounded me for a week last time my grades slipped-


DEPRESSION
You can’t.


Sawyer stops.


SAWYER
(confusedly)
Of course I can!


DEPRESSION
You can’t.


SAWYER
Yes I can! I’ve been getting out of bed for the last few days, so I can do it again. I’m going to be late-


DEPRESSION
No, you can’t.


SAWYER

Don’t be ridiculous.
Sawyer gets out of bed. Depression holds onto their ankles as they try to walk offstage.


SAWYER
Get off of me!


DEPRESSION
You- can’t- go!


SAWYER
I’m going whether you like it or not!


DEPRESSION
(struggling)
You can’t!


SAWYER
Yes- I- CAN!


They finally make it offstage, Depression still holding on to their legs.


BLACKOUT. END SCENE.

 

AT RISE:
SCENE 2 – IN THE MORNING
At a school, in a courtyard with a table and chairs set in the center. Thursday morning at around 7:00AM. A number of students sit around at the table and are occupying themselves with books, phones, homework, etc. ALEX, another student, approaches the group, followed by ANXIETY, who is sizing people up.


ALEX
Hey guys.


A chorus of hellos greets Alex as they set down their bag and pull out a book. They start read, but can’t concentrate due to Anxiety pinching their arm.


During this conversation, the lights dim to focus solely on Alex and Anxiety. No one notices the exchange- it’s occurring in Alex’s head. This reoccurs with Sawyer & Depression and Jamie & Anorexia when they are in the presence of other people.


ALEX
Ow!- what is it, Anxiety?


ANXIETY
(cooly)
You know, I couldn’t help but notice that nobody’s talking to you. It’s because they all hate you. I mean, think about it. Why would anyone like you? You can’t even hold a decent conversation.


ALEX
…Or it’s seven o’clock in the morning and we have a History test today. They’re just tired, that’s all.


Alex goes back to reading. Anxiety stays quiet for a few seconds before speaking again.

 

ANXIETY
…Or they were talking before you came and then they stopped talking because they’re only pretending to like you.


Alex sighs and rolls their eyes, but they are stiff now, thinking about what Anxiety said. While they’re talking, DREW, a friend, walks onstage and approaches Alex.


ANXIETY
Oh, and you’ve got that speech today. Of course, it’s going to be awful. You can hardly speak in front of your ‘friends’, how can you in front of people who can’t even pretend to like you?


ALEX
Shut-


(The lights come up.)


-oh, hey, Drew!


DREW
Hey! What’s up?


ALEX
Oh, nothing. Just reading. Are you ready for the History test today?


DREW
Pshh, no. Who is? I mean, really, how do you study for that?


ALEX
I was hoping you could tell me.


They laugh.


DREW
You have to present your speech today, right?

 

ALEX
Yeah, I do. I’m super nervous though.


DREW
You shouldn’t be. I read it, and you’ve got some great metaphors in there. Everyone will love it.


ANXIETY
No, they won’t.


ALEX
(ignoring Anxiety, to Drew)
Thanks.


Drew goes to sit down and starts chatting with another student. Alex tries again to go back to reading.


ANXIETY
You know, Drew was wrong. Your speech is going to be a flop. A failure. You labored on that piece of junk for hours, hoping to educate people on animal testing, but everyone will realize how terrible it is. This presentation will help everyone realize how awful you truly are.


Alex’s hands are now shaking and their breathing is erratic. They’re having a visible reaction to Anxiety’s speech.


The lights come up again. Drew has noticed Alex’s shakiness.


DREW
Alex? Are you okay?


Alex snaps out of their almost trance-like state and laughs nervously.


ALEX
Oh, yeah, I’m fine. I think I had too much coffee or something.

 

DREW
Oh, okay!


Drew goes back to talking. Alex is quiet.


ANXIETY
(softly, but vicious)
See? They don’t care about you. No one cares about you, Alex.


Alex tries to go back to reading their book.


BLACKOUT. END SCENE.

 

 

AT RISE:
SCENE 3 – CHANGING ROOM
A changing room. Before Gym. Various students of the same gender are hanging around the room, chatting. JAMIE, student and track star, listens in on a conversation between SPENCER and PARKER, two friends.


SPENCER
Did you hear about the coach’s new meal plan for us?


PARKER
Yeah! He wants us eating carbs every two hours- like that’s going to help us jump farther.


SPENCER
Hey, I don’t mind. He says ‘complex carbohydrates every 2-3 hours’; I hear ‘granola bars’.


The friends laugh.


PARKER
Whatever, I guess. It’s just going to be such a pain to write down everything in the food journals.


Spencer nods in agreement. They walk out, chatting and laughing. Jamie is left alone in the locker room.


ANOREXIA
Ugh, god. That so-called ‘meal plan’ is just a way to fatten you up. Honestly. This is going to mess up our whole plan.


JAMIE
Maybe it’s not all bad. It might help with performance. That meet last year was awful. Plus, what you eat really does impact your performance. Coach says I have to start training now if I want a scholarship for track, and-


ANOREXIA
(interrupting)
-In any case, you’re going to gain weight like crazy if you eat what he wants you to.


JAMIE
I know. It’s going to be awful.


There is a brief pause before Anorexia speaks again.


ANOREXIA
I have an idea! What if instead of writing down what you actually eat, you write what he wants you to be eating. That way, you’re not gaining any weight and the coach is happy! It’s a win-win situation!


Jamie brightens at this idea.


JAMIE
Awesome! Sounds like a plan.


PARKER
(calling from offstage)
Jamie, c’mon! We’re already late enough as it is!


JAMIE
(calling back)
Coming!


Jamie and Anorexia exit.


BLACKOUT. END SCENE.

 

 

AT RISE:
SCENE 4 – GEOMETRY
A classroom. About 11:45AM. SAWYER sits at a desk near the back, taking notes. DEPRESSION lounges behind them. The students are taking notes on a lesson about triangles. MR. RAYMOND, the geometry teacher, is teaching at the front of the class.


MR. RAYMOND
-So the difference between a circumcenter and an incenter is that the circumcenter is where the perpendicular bisectors intersect, while the incenter is where the angles intersect. Let’s move on to some examples.


SAWYER
(muttering)
When are we ever going to use this? I’ll never need to find the whatever-center of a triangle.


MR. RAYMOND
What would you call this point here? Is it a circumcenter or an incenter? Anyone want to take a guess?


SAWYER
This entire thing is so pointless. When on my life will I ever need to know the difference between an incenter and a circumcenter? What’s the point?


MR. RAYMOND
Well? What’s the point?


DEPRESSION
What's the point of doing anything, really? I mean, we're all going to die anyways. You keep trying and failing to keep up in math. You should just give up now. It's not like it's much of a loss anyways. You never would have succeeded.

 

MR. RAYMOND
What’s the point?


DEPRESSION
What’s the point?


SAWYER
(dejected)
What’s the point?


BLACKOUT. END SCENE.

 

 

AT RISE:
SCENE 5 – LUNCHTIME
A lunch table at the school. Around 12:30PM. A group of students is sitting around it, chatting. There’s a happy and relaxed atmosphere. JAMIE approaches the table and sits down. ANOREXIA lounges behind them.

JAMIE

Hey guys!

 

Everyone responds in a cheerful manner. Jamie pulls out their lunch. It’s a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

 

ANOREXIA
Oh. My. God. That is SO GROSS. Mom packed you a peanut butter and jelly sandwich? Does she know how many calories are in that thing?

 

Jamie looks at the sandwich longingly. They rub their stomach.

 

JAMIE
I am really hungry though... I didn't eat at all yesterday, and plus there's that whole meal plan thing to think about. Don't you think I could cheat just this once?

 

ANOREXIA
‘Just this once’ becomes ‘every time’ after a while. You are not eating that thing. Unless you want to get fat…

 

Jamie sighs, but puts away the sandwich.

 

SPENCER
Are you going to eat that?
(sarcastically)
It’s such a fantastic source of carbohydrates that will really help with our running times, I can’t imagine why you wouldn’t.

 

Jamie laughs.

 

JAMIE
Nah, I’m not hungry. Do you want it?

 

SPENCER
When would I say no to food?

 

The pair laugh, and Jamie gives the sandwich to Spencer. Jamie rubs their stomach again.

 

BLACKOUT. END SCENE.


AT RISE:
SCENE 6 - ENGLISH
A classroom with a podium set up at the front of the room. Around 12:30PM. Students are chattering excitedly. ALEX sits quietly, reviewing their flashcards. ANXIETY paces behind them. The bell rings and everyone rushes excitedly to their seats. MR. NELSON, the English teacher, walks into the room.


MR. NELSON
Good afternoon, everybody! Ready to present?


The class answers in unison, some droning “no” while others chirp “yes”. Alex is still quiet, but now they are bouncing their leg.

 

MR. NELSON
You will do so great!


ANXIETY
You will do so terribly.


MR. NELSON
Remember, class, always clap at the end of someone’s speech. We want to be a really good audience for everyone, all right? So let’s get started!


ANXIETY
No one will clap for you. They’ll cough uncomfortably and shift in their seats until they finally realize you’re done, then a few people might be polite enough to clap. You’re going to embarrass yourself in front of the whole class.


Alex’s leg is bouncing faster as they think about what Anxiety said.


MR. NELSON
(pulling a piece of paper out of the hat)
Okay, first up is- Alex! You ready?


Alex nods and walks up to the podium nervously.


MR. NELSON
Whenever you’re ready.


Alex looks down at their cards, then at the class, then down at their cards, then back at the class. They take a deep, shaking breath in.


ALEX
Sir, I think I’m going to-


Alex goes weak and puts a hand over their mouth. They run offstage.


BLACKOUT. END SCENE.

 

AT RISE:
SCENE 7 – AFTER SCHOOL
A courtyard with benches. Around 2:05PM. A bell rings, and we can hear the chattering of students from offstage. SAWYER walks onstage, followed by DEPRESSION. Sawyer sits down and starts reading a book while Depression leans on the bench. A few moments later, ALEX walks onstage, followed by ANXIETY, who stands behind them nervously.


ALEX
Hey, Sawyer.

 

SAWYER

Hey!

 

ALEX
Still working through The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy?

 

SAWYER
I’ve only got a couple more chapters left- it’s been nearly impossible to put down, though.

 

ALEX
Isn’t Douglass Adams just a genius?

 

SAWYER
His writing is amazing!

 

JAMIE walks onstage, followed by ANOREXIA, who turns up their nose at the trio and stands apart from them.

 

JAMIE
Hey, guys.

 

Sawyer and Alex say hello, and they all sit in comfortable silence for a moment. The lights dim around them until there is a spotlight focused on the trio.

 

SAWYER
It’s been a while, huh?

 

ALEX
It really has.

 

JAMIE
I’ve hardly seen you guys at all since we entered high school.

 

Another moment of silence.

 

SAWYER
Who would’ve thought it? Childhood friends to strangers in less than a year.

 

ALEX
I miss this. Getting together, just talking about what’s on our minds. It’s freeing.

 

SAWYER
I feel like no one else really understands what I’m going through.

 

JAMIE
You’re the only ones who will listen.

 

ALEX
I don’t trust anyone else.

 

They all look at each other and smile. It’s a sweet moment.

 

ALEX
Y’know- I had that big speech today. The one about animal testing. I totally blew it.
(After a moment.)
I just kept thinking that I was going to fail, that everyone would laugh at me- it was all I could think about. It’s like my brain was obsessed with the idea that I was going to make a mistake. Even though I wanted to give the speech, even though I wanted to educate people… I barely made it to the bathroom before I threw up.

(They pause.)
I don’t know how I can redeem myself from that.

 

SAWYER
I’m sure Mr. Nelson would let you make it up some other time, or maybe you don’t even have to present it.

 

ALEX
I’ll talk to him about it. I hope he understands.

 

JAMIE
I’m sure he will. Mr. Nelson’s really understanding; you’ll be able to work something out.

 

ALEX
Thanks, guys.

 

Anxiety fades into the shadows. The group is quiet again.

 

JAMIE
Coach wants us to keep food journals. I don’t really know what to do, because I know if I wrote down what I really eat then I’d end up in rehab or something. But I can’t lie- that would be even worse.
(After a beat.)
I need to do track. It’s the only thing I’m good at. Either option is putting that at risk.

 

Jamie sighs and rubs at their eyes, visibly exhausted.

 

ALEX
You should be honest with him. Maybe he can find a meal plan that could help with competitions.

 

SAWYER

Yeah, and plus, if you’re honest, then he’ll be able to help you get back to eating.

 

JAMIE
It’s going to be so hard to tell him.

 

ALEX
If you want, we can go with you.

 

SAWYER
Yeah, for moral support!

 

JAMIE
(smiling)
Thank you. You guys are the best.

 

Anorexia fades into the shadows. There’s another moment of silence.

 

SAWYER
My mom is threatening to ground me if I don’t get my grades up in Geometry. I want to get good grades, I really do. But it’s just so hard to get the motivation to do anything, even stuff I like doing. I want to get good grades in Geometry, but all I’m able to do is get through the day.

 

JAMIE
Maybe talk to your teacher about it.

 

SAWYER

I guess. But it seems really pointless now, like I’m never going to be able to understand anything.

 

ALEX
Sawyer, it’s not pointless. It might feel that way, but you’re trying and that’s the important thing.

 

Sawyer nods.

 

SAWYER
Thank you.

 

Depression fades into the shadows. The lights come back up and the entire cast files onstage.

 

SPENCER
Thank you for watching.

 

PARKER
We hope this play gave you some insight into what a day in the life is like for a teenager struggling with mental illnesses.

 

ANXIETY
It’s really important to destroy the stigma around mental illnesses.

 

DEPRESSION
Mental illnesses are illnesses just as much as physical illnesses are.

 

ANOREXIA
Remember- if you struggle with a mental illness of any kind, you are not broken.

 

JAMIE
You are strong, and you can get through this.

 

ALEX
With a strong support network and a doctor’s help, you can fight your mental illness.

 

SAWYER
If you don’t have any mental illnesses, you can do your part by supporting those that do.

 

ALL
Thank you!

 

END SCENE.
THE END


The author's comments:

Firstly, the formatting is a little freaky on here, so I apologize for that. I tried to fix it but I'm not sure how much it will help.

Secondly, this play was a project for school that I turned into something deeply personal and meaningful to me. If anyone here has struggled with mental illnesses, then you know how hard it is, just with daily struggles. I wanted to write this to give neurotypical people a chance to see what it's like; to get a glimpse into "a day in the life". I hope I succeeded in that.

Thank you for reading!