Wrap Me In Grey | Teen Ink

Wrap Me In Grey

By MeganLF GOLD, Dundurn, Other
MeganLF GOLD, Dundurn, Other

A writer’s brain is full of little gifts, like a piñata at a birthday party. It’s also full of demons, like a piñata at a birthday party in a mental hospital.

CHARACTERS

ELLIOT Woman in her mid to late 20’s. Lacks connection to reality because she is missing a piece of herself. She needs more help than she realizes.
THE RETURNER Androgynous. When we see them, they are cloaked in only a billowing hooded grey robe, with their face hidden by the hood. True purpose/identity is never clearly revealed.
GARY (PIANO PLAYER)

COFFEE SHOP CUSTOMERS Middle-aged. Has had a rough life and it shows. Unknown past events caused him to become a thief of the worst nature.
Various ages, genders, and nationalities.

?
    SETTING

A dungeon-like basement, a coffee shop, and a hospital, all in Britain.

TIME

Present day (2015).
?
SCENES

ACT I

Scene 1  A dirty concrete room Midnight
Scene 2 Coffee shop The next morning
Scene 3
Scene 4 Coffee shop
Hospital Moments later
Moments later

?

SCENE 1
(Open play to dark, dirty room with cement walls. It is empty except for a bedraggled woman—Elliot—sitting on the floor against the wall, facing the audience. She is wearing a light grey dress which is torn up and covered in filth.)
ELLIOT
(Tracing a finger along the floor, singing quietly to herself.)
Run from yourself…run to your soul…they overtake me…and swallow me whole…
(Looks upwards and whispers.)
Where are you?
(Enter The Returner’s voice, coming from the stage left.)
THE RETURNER
(Speaking softly.)
What colour is it?
ELLIOT
(Rolls her head over towards the voice, unshaken.)
Pardon?
THE RETURNER
Your soul. What colour is it?
ELLIOT
Well that’s an odd inquiry to be making. Even more so because you have yet to show your face.
THE RETURNER
Perhaps I have no face to show.
ELLIOT
Such a tragedy. If it is true, that is.
THE RETURNER
(Affronted)
Where have you hidden your fear, young lady? You speak to me with more frigidity than most.
ELLIOT
(Looking around her.)
I have been trapped in this…desolation…for God-knows how long. All I have left to fear is myself.
THE RETURNER
(Hesitates)
I have the answers.
ELLIOT
To what, exactly? Where I am? Why I’m here? I’ve given up on that.
(She turns away from the voice.)
You have nothing to offer me.
THE RETURNER
Perhaps. But you do have something to offer me.
ELLIOT
(Whips her head around.)
And what is that, exactly?
THE RETURNER
You can answer my initial question. Disclose to me the colour of your soul, and I will reveal to you the truth you have ceased searching for. Curiosity is crouched deep within you; there is no denying that.
ELLIOT
(Turns away, arms crossed.)
You know nothing.
THE RETURNER
I know nothing of nothing and that is just the issue. Please, answer the question.
ELLIOT
Why does this hold such value to you?
THE RETURNER
I have been…entrusted…with your care. Besides, I find you quite intriguing.
ELLIOT
Your ambiguity is frustrating.
THE RETURNER
I apologize, but I speak in no other way. Please—
ELLIOT
(In a mocking tone.)
“Answer the question.” Yes, I understood the first time. Fine, I will tell you, but know that this is a sensitive topic.
THE RETURNER
Of course, of course. I can be trusted.
ELLIOT
(Sighs)
Ever since I woke up in this room, I have felt a pure emptiness. My life previous to this is only a memory of sound filling silence, blurred into a vision of white-washed grey. But now…all I have is the silence…and the grey is gone. Not even black fills its place. There is only the absence of what was, huddled inside of this aging shell.
(Glances down at her arms.)
Often, I deem my body as brittle enough to snap under the weight of my indifference. Now, I am only left wondering what a soul is. The word itself rings familiar, but the concept is foreign and uncomfortable. I have left the understanding of it beating on the outside of these walls. So tell me then, how do I possibly know the colour of something I cannot recognize?
THE RETURNER
(Silence)
ELLIOT
Hello? Was that not a satisfactory answer? No riddled response to that? Nothing?
(A moment of silent waiting passes.)
Fine. Refuse to hold up your end of the deal, that’s just wonderful. I appreciate the nothing you’ve done for me.
(Lies on the floor, and rolls over onto her side. Her back faces the place from where The Returner’s voice was first emerging. After a few angered breaths, she falls asleep.)
(Enter The Returner, dressed in a light grey billowing robe. They slowly enter the room, and peek up and around to ensure she is asleep. Crouching down behind her, they reach their arm out, and touch her shoulder. The lights go black.)
SCENE 2
(Open scene to a small, wood-accented coffee shop, with five tables spread throughout the stage with customers seated at them. At the last table sits Gary wearing worn denim jeans, leather boots, and an old leather jacket. Each person, excluding The Returner, is frozen mid-movement, as if time has stopped. Elliot and The Returner are both standing in the centre of the room, The Returner wearing the same grey robes, and Elliot wearing the same grey dress, but it is not as dirty and torn. The Returner brushes her on the shoulder with their hand five times, then takes five seconds to walk off of the stage. As soon as they disappear from sight, everyone in the scene jerks “awake”. Customers quietly carry on conversation.)
ELLIOT
(Cowering from the lights above her.)
Where am I?
(Eyes squinted, she looks around her.)
W-What is this? This must be a joke…?
(She leans on the nearest table and looks up, searching for The Returner.)
Well, you fail miserably at humour!
(People begin glancing in her direction.)
THE RETURNER
Oh, now that’s quite harsh, don’t you think? You’re cross with me when I don’t help you, but crosser when I do...I’m precisely the one who should be complaining.
ELLIOT
(Fearfully leans away from The Returner’s voice.)
And how exactly are you helping me?
THE RETURNER
Oh, you humans, so misguided…take you out of your own heads for one moment, and—
ELLIOT
What?
THE RETURNER
(Panicked)
Uh, nothing. No matter, no matter. You’re here, that’s what’s important.
ELLIOT
And where exactly is “here”?
THE RETURNER
Let me ask you something first…does anything seem familiar to you?
ELLIOT
(Frustrated, she looks around her.)
No, nothing…I’m quite lost and my head is swimming, if you must know. Should I be recognizing any of this?
THE RETURNER
(Sighs)
Yes, I was hoping you would…it would make matters…easier…Although your unbridled emotion is a promising sign.
ELLIOT
What “matters”? What “emotion”? Stop talking like I’m not even here! Tell me what is bloody well going on!
(Almost every customer is giving her unnerved side glances, but remain deaf and oblivious to The Returner’s voice. Subtly, Gary gets up from his table and sits down at the piano, holding one hand inside of his jacket.)
THE RETURNER
You’ve lost something and I am trying to return it to you, please, lower your voice.
ELLIOT
Lower my voice! Who exactly do you think you—
THE RETURNER
I think I am precisely the person you should be thanking! I’ve tried to be helpful and diligent in carrying out my duties, but you are testing my compliance! At this juncture, I’m undecided as to whether I should simply wrap you back up in your coma instead of your soul!
ELLIOT
…what…?
THE RETURNER
(Regretful)
Oh dear…I’ve gone and said too much, haven’t I? Oh, why am I forever running my mouth?
ELLIOT
No, you are going to tell me the whole story, or I swear to—
THE RETURNER
I’m sorry, but I’m not sure if you can handle—
ELLIOT
Of course I can handle it! Tell me something, you condescending little insect! Can you handle this?
(Picks up an empty coffee cup and prepares to throw it at the ceiling. Customers gasp and stare at her seemingly insane acts.)
THE RETURNER
ENOUGH!
(Sprints onto the stage behind Elliot and taps her shoulder. She falls to the floor.)
SCENE 3
(Open scene to coffee shop with everyone gasping at Elliot lying unconscious on the floor. Characters are in the same costumes as the previous scene. Two spotlights suddenly shine on Elliot in the centre of the room, and Gary at the piano; the rest of the lights go out. The customers react to the lighting change. Gary begins to play a piece of music. Everyone is transfixed; no one moves to help Elliot. The Returner emerges from behind the piano, showcased by an additional spotlight, and begins to dance lyrical-style to the music. They reach into Gary’s open jacket and struggle to pull something out. The fight ensues, but Gary continues playing. Finally, The Returner’s hand emerges with a piece of long, light grey fabric in their hand. The customers are oblivious to The Returner, and focus on either Elliot or the music, none leaving their seats. The Returner continues to dance around the stage, flourishing the fabric through the air. Every so often, the fabric “pulls” The Returner towards Gary, but this occurs less frequently as the song goes on. Near the end of the piece, The Returner runs the fabric along Gary’s body, causing him to shiver. The Returner dances their way over to Elliot, and when the final note of the song is played, plunges the fabric into her chest.)
SCENE 4
(Open scene to hospital room. Elliot is lying in a bed, covered in a white blanket from the waist down. She is wearing the same grey dress, but this time, it is fully clean and kempt. There is a quiet beep from her heart monitor. Suddenly, its frequency increases drastically.)
ELLIOT
(Sits up abruptly and gasps. Looking wildly around her, she touches her face and body. Confused, she whispers.)
Who…who am I?
(She leans back and stares up at the ceiling. After a moment, a small piece of light grey fabric floats down. She picks it up off of her bed, and studies it closely.)
Yes…yes, this seems familiar.
THE END