Popsicle | Teen Ink

Popsicle

By beeconn BRONZE, Carbondale, Pennsylvania
beeconn BRONZE, Carbondale, Pennsylvania

Characters

MURIEL WELFEL      JOHNNY FLY
BETTY JEFFERSON    
Setting: In 1952, on a hot day in Abilene, Kansas, it is day 3 of the annual carnival. The scene takes place at Muriel Welfel’s balloon game stand. The stand reads “15¢.”    
(A little girl, Betty Jefferson, places a quarter on the stand and throws an arrow at a balloon that is pinned to the wall.)
MURIEL: (breathing heavily and sweating profusely) Ya missed! Next! (puts quarter in her apron) 
BETTY: (is silent for a moment and avoids eye contact with Muriel. She rocks back and forth on her toes then quietly and gently asks) May I please have a dime back? (twists her fingers together in silence, waiting for an answer. Muriel stares at her with a disgusted look and sweat is dripping down her chin). The game only costs 15¢ and I need to return home with 10¢ for my little brother so he can buy a gumball on the way to the school house in the morning.
MURIEL: (stands up and harshly points at the sign in front of the game) Can’t you read?! The sign says twenty five! Two-five! Now scram! (plops down in her fold up chair and wipes the sweat from her forehead)
SALLY: (starts breathing nervously) I’m sorry, ma’am, but . . . but the sign does read “15¢.” I really nee-
MURIEL: Are you kidding me?! (grabs a hold of the counter to help herself stand up. Sally runs away before Muriel gets to her feet) That’s right! You better run! And tell your pip-squeak brother that I couldn’t care less about his lousy gumball!
(Muriel crouches back down in her chair, takes the quarter out of her apron and holds it tight while staring at the Popsicle stand directly across from her.)
JOHNNY FLY:  Why hello there! (frightens Muriel) Oh, I didn’t mean to startle you. How do you do? (reaches out his hand for a shake, Muriel does not move) Well, (slowly puts his hand down) my name is Johnny Fly: Prince of the Popsicles! (puts toy crown on his head made of popsicle sticks with a big smile. Muriel is blank.) Well, not really. That’s just what the little tikes like to call me.
(Muriel has sweat dripping down her face and is gripping the quarter.)
(Johnny Fly sees the quarter.)
JOHNNY FLY: Could I interest you in a popsicle? They are only worth a quarter! It’ll cool you right down on this beautiful July day!
(Muriel is silent and keeps a bitter face)
JOHNNY FLY: We’ve got every flavor your little heart desires! The Great Grape, Shaking Sherbet, Tango Mango, Lucky Lem-
MURIEL: I don’t want your damn popsicle! (Johnny Fly’s smile fades away) My shift is over in four minutes and I’d like to spend that time in silence; (Muriel is out of breath) No kids, no parents, and no jolly popsicle men. Now leave me and my stand in peace. (Wipes the sweat from her lip.)
(Johnny Fly reaches into his pocket, pulls out a dime and a nickel, and sets the coins on Muriel’s stand.)
JOHNNY FLY: One dart, please.
(Muriel stares him down. She finally tosses him a dart, no emotion in her face.)
JOHNNY FLY: Now, if I pop that big yella balloon in the top, right corner, I get that quarter you’ve been holding on to for dear life. (Muriel perks up with a confused look.) But, if I miss, you get the rest of my famous popsicles. (Holds out hand.)  Deal?
(Muriel is hesitant but eventually shakes his hand.)
MURIEL: Good luck poppin’ that one! I haven’t seen any kid shoot that one all weekend!
(Johnny Fly squints his eyes on the balloon and sticks his tongue out in focus. He shoots and misses.)
MURIEL: AHH! (breaks out into evil laughter) I told ya! Ha ha ha! Beat it, Princey!
JOHNNY FLY: (smirks) Alright, alright let me go get the popsicles.
MURIEL: (bursts) Don’t bother! I already told you I didn’t want your good for nothin’ ice treats! Go sell them to someone who cares! (turns her face and continues to grip her quarter)
(Johnny Fly pauses, then respectfully nods his head and walks back to his stand.)
(Muriel checks her watch, folds up her chair and exits her stand. Waiting outside the balloon game is a box with frost along the edges. Muriel picks up the note lying on top.)
MURIEL: “I think we all need some cooling down to do. (Johnny Fly exists stage R with his stand on wheels.) Brainstorming on new flavors and came up with Melting Muriels. I’m sure they’ll be a big hit! Sincerely, the Prince of Popsicles.” (Muriel drops the quarter on the ground in awe. There is a tear in her eye. She quickly turns to find Johnny Fly but he is gone.)
(Muriel picks up the box and exits stage L and the lights go out.)

This piece displays that one act of random kindness is able to melt one's heart of ice.