Let's Go Bra Shopping... With Dad | Teen Ink

Let's Go Bra Shopping... With Dad

March 1, 2016
By hrofficial BRONZE, -, California
hrofficial BRONZE, -, California
3 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"There are multiple sides to all of us. Who we are -- and who we might be if we follow our dreams." -Miley Cyrus


FADE IN: iNT. DEPARTMENT STORE - DAY

GRACE (13), wearing glasses and braces, walks awkwardly with her arms crossed in the lingerie section of a department store. Suddenly, her overly-enthusiastic Dad, MR. THOMAS, walks in.

MR. THOMAS

Honey, are you finding what you need?

GRACE

Dad, I told you not to talk to me.

MR. THOMAS

I know, but I'm getting some strange looks. A grown man in the panties section!

GRACE

Whatever, just don't touch anything.

MR. THOMAS

Grace, I understand you're embarrassed. I'm sorry Mom and Aunt Lindy aren't here to help you.

A solemn silence.

MR. THOMAS (CONT.)

At least they'll be back from Vegas soon!

GRACE

Just let me do this by myself, okay?

MR. THOMAS

You got it, kiddo.

While Grace starts to walk away, Mr. Thomas lingers behind and tries to stay still, but he can't help himself and begins to brag to customers walking by.

MR. THOMAS

(with breaks in between each sentence)

That's my daughter. She's getting her first bra all by herself. She's growing up!

Grace walks away faster. Mr. Thomas lifts up a small bra.

MR. THOMAS (CONT.)

(shouting)

Hey, Grace! What about this one? It's got polka dots and a cute little bow!

Just at that moment, MARIA, a middle-aged saleswoman dressed in a sleek black suit, approaches Grace.

MARIA

Can I help you with anything today?

GRACE

Um... I...

Mr. Thomas approaches them.

MR. THOMAS

Grace, is this nice woman here to help you? Because I would advise you to take up her offer, since I'm obviously not much help.

MARIA

Are you here to shop for a bra?

GRACE

(muttering)

I'm trying to.

MARIA

Well, I'm sure we can find something special for you. Getting your first bra is a monumental moment in your life.

MR. THOMAS

Ooh! That reminds me. He pulls out his cell phone and lifts it to take a picture.

MR. THOMAS (CONT.)

Do you mind if I take a picture of you two?

MARIA

Sure!

She starts to pose and smile, but Grace resists.

GRACE

Actually I think we should just move along.

MARIA

Whatever makes you feel most comfortable. But first and foremost, we need to take a measurement of your chest. I'm going to need you to lift your arms high.

Grace raises her arms and Maria pulls out some measuring tape, putting it around Grace's chest. Grace turns to look at Mr. Thomas.

GRACE

Um, Dad?

MR. THOMAS

(oblivious)Yes, sweetie?

GRACE

Could you, you know--

She swishes her hands as if to tell him "go away."

MR. THOMAS

Oh, right! I'm sorry, I should give you your privacy. It's just this is so exciting! It reminds me of when I went bra shopping with my sister when I was five. Her chest looked more like they were tater tots than coconuts--

GRACE

Dad!

She rolls her eyes and looks across the aisle but widens her eyes at what she sees -- it's her crush, TYLER. He's a typical middle-school boy, floppy hair and all, shopping with his parents.

MR. THOMAS

Grace, are you okay?

She doesn't keep her eyes off of Tyler.

GRACE

I - I'm fine. My arms are just hurting.

MR. THOMAS

What in the world are you looking at?

He turns his head and sees Tyler.

MR. THOMAS (CONT.)

Who is that boy?

GRACE

Just hide me. I need to get out of here.

MR. THOMAS

Is that Tyler Winston?

GRACE

How do you know his name?

MR. THOMAS

He comes over to the shop to intern. He wants to work in engineering. Nice kid.

(shouting)

Hey, Tyler! Is that you? It's Mr. Thomas!

Grace puts down her arms and runs away from Maria, who looks confused and heads toward a counter. Grace runs over to hide behind a rack of lingerie when Tyler walks over.

TYLER

Hi, Mr. Thomas.

MR. THOMAS

Hi, Tyler! What are you doing here?

TYLER

Just running errands with my parents. What about you, sir?

MR. THOMAS

Well, actually...

(chuckling)

I'm shopping with my daughter for her first bra. But I don't know where she went.

While Tyler and Mr. Thomas continue to converse off-screen, Grace sits behind the rack of lingerie, panicking. Maria enters and squats next to Grace.

MARIA

Are you doing alright?

GRACE

This has been the absolute worst experience of my life.

MARIA

Do you have a crush on Tyler?

GRACE

(sighs)

More than you could know. And my dad is completely messing the whole thing up!

MARIA

I know how you feel. My dad went on the shopping trip for my first bra. It was awful.

GRACE

What happened?

MARIA

Well, unlike your father, he was completely scared out of his mind. He knocked down a bra rack and we ended up being kicked out of the store.

GRACE

Geez. Sorry about that. Were you mad?

MARIA

I didn't talk to him for a week.

GRACE

Sounds like what I'm going to do to my dad once we get out of here.

MARIA

Well, although I was mad, I wouldn't say it was the best way to handle my anger.

GRACE

Why?

MARIA

He kept offering to take me back to the store to finally get a bra, but I was adamant about not going. The problem was, I really needed a bra, and changing in the P.E. locker room was... you know.

Grace's eyes widen.

MARIA (CONT.)

Anyways, I couldn't take it anymore, so my dad and I finally apologized to each other. And now that experience is the funniest story we tell at family get-togethers.

GRACE

If my dad tells this story to anyone, I will kill him.

Maria laughs.

MARIA

Whatever you say. But I don't think I hear your dad talking to Tyler anymore. He's probably looking for you.

She stands up.

MARIA (CONT.)

Let me know when you're ready to try something on.She starts to walk away, but turns back around.

MARIA (CONT.)

Oh, and by the way, you're a size 32AA.

She exits. Mr. Thomas pops up, looking for Grace.

MR. THOMAS

Grace? Grace, where are you?

Grace takes a deep breath, then stands up.

GRACE

I'm right here, Dad.

MR. THOMAS

I've been looking all over for you.

GRACE

Oh, sorry about that. Where'd Tyler go?

MR. THOMAS

He had to go, but he told me to tell you that he says hi.

GRACE

He knew I was here?

MR. THOMAS

Yeah, I told him you were my daughter, and he said that you two are good friends.

Grace's face lights up.

GRACE

He said that we're friends?

MR. THOMAS

Yup. Why did you run off?Grace shifts her body uncomfortably.

GRACE

I was just... embarrassed.

MR. THOMAS

Was it - was it because of me?

Grace looks down at the floor.

MR. THOMAS (CONT.)

(sighs)

Yeah, maybe taking a picture of you and the saleswoman was taking it a little bit too far.

(beat)

Sorry, honey.

GRACE

Well, lucky for you, I'm willing to forgive you... but only if you promise not to tell anyone, not even the neighbor's dog, about today. Otherwise, you're dead meat.

MR. THOMAS

Oh, come on. The whole thing is pretty funny if you think about.

Grace raises her eyebrows.

MR. THOMAS (CONT.)

But maybe we should just pretend it's never happened for now.

They both smile.

FADE OUT.