Robert's Alright Monologue | Teen Ink

Robert's Alright Monologue

By genes SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
genes SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

Scene 1
(Sitting down on a public bench in the middle of a sidewalk, Robert wears a flannel and dirty white tee, his pants and shoes are also of the same crumbled style. He eats from a large bag of cheetos)
Robert- I’ve always been a below the bar kinda person. I was that kid who would just fall off the rope climb in your eighth grade gym class. It wasn’t because I couldn’t reach the buzzer at the top, or even climb back down; it just wasn’t worth it to me. Halfway through my SAT senior year , I fell asleep. I had slept a full 14 hours the day before. Yet, somehow I always ended up alright, and to me even if you tried or not, it would still all be alright. This was until my freshmen year of college when I met Margaret. Margaret had a sort of twinkie-esque body type; yellow and spongey. Sort of soggy looking in the rain. But she was admirable. She was the first person id ever met who tried and seemed to be succeeding past alright .She was the cream of the crop, full of the sweet goo of life. Metaphorically, but also probably literally based on her dietary choices. It took me till my junior year of college to ask Margaret on a date. 3 years later we were happily married. My alright lifestyle started to diminish as I saw myself through Margaret’s eyes. 3 years later she had just given birth to our second child, and we rented a nice little place on Baltic Street.   And 4 years later, I was out of that little shack we called a house and hitch hiking my way through the dirty city streets with just a back pack. Now it’s a couple years later; 19 years later. And I don’t know and will never know what happened to Margaret and our two children. But no matter what, I’m sure they’re all right. I sure am.
(he chugs down remainders of cheetos and belches’, lights go out)