The Couch | Teen Ink

The Couch

February 7, 2016
By aquietvoice BRONZE, Hempstead, New York
aquietvoice BRONZE, Hempstead, New York
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You can, you should, and if you're brave enough to start, you will." -Stephen King


Characters:

Abigail- She is slightly overweight, short with long brown hair, 18 years old. She loves the small and simple things. She keeps a serious face, which makes some people stay away from her. But she smiles to make her family happy. She walks with her head down and takes small steps. Her best friend is her sister Valerie.

 

Valerie- Main character. She is 23 years old still living in her parent's house. She is the tallest in the family. Her skin is darker than Abigail and so are her dark circles that make her face look puffy. She walks with confidence, her dyed blonde hair usually up in a bun. With makeup caked on her face, she has a temper that scares many but an innocence to her as well. She loves girly, pink objects.

 

John- He is also short, about the same size as Valerie. He is in his 50s with full head of hair, that is slowly diminishing. He keeps a serious face with his bags under his eyes from staring at his bills late at night. He walks with a strong stance, strong shoulders and his once strong muscles sagging. He wears the same warm sweater that is dirty with stains. He has a strong loud voice that frightens when angry.

 

Sarah- She is overweight also in her 50s. Her eyes are dull and dark circles are slowly forming on her once young face. She shuffles when she walks and has a weary, overburdened look. She dresses in modern time and slippers when she comes home from work.

 

Set: Year- 2005. The living room of the Moss’ household is adequately clean. There are small specks of dirt every here and there but for the most part it’s clean. There is an antique lamp to the side of the living room, lighting it up room well. The windows are always shut, the blinds down. There is a couch, with a cover on it that is unfixed by the many people who sit there. To the right, theres a brick fireplace brightly lit and on its mantle lay pictures of the family. Directly in front of the couch is the TV and below it there are more photos on two tables neatly arranged and an exit door to the right of the stage.

 

Situation: Sarah and John Moss live in suburb New York with their two daughters, Valerie and Abigail. They have another daughter, Grace with 4 children and lives away from home. John commutes to the city where he works for an advertising company. He quit drinking two years ago after he went to the hospital after an incident. Valerie graduated three years ago, barely. While her younger sister Abigail is going to graduate this year, with near perfect grades. Sarah then discovers that Valerie had been doing pot, smoking cigarettes and drinking for 4 years now. Valerie grew up with bad friends that led her to make bad decisions and Abigail stands there and watches the two constantly fight. Their life is also in conflict by their struggle to keep a roof over their head.

 

Scene 1

The TV is on, it plays in the background. Sarah is in jeans and a fluffy shirt as she lays on the couch staring mindlessly at the TV. Abigail walks in and sits next to her.

 

ABIGAIL: What’s on the news today? Did anything happen up in New York City near where daddy works?

 

SARAH: Can you believe that Hurricane Katrina down south is a category 5? Those poor people, God help them.

 

ABIGAIL: I’m sure they’ll be fine, mommy.

 

SARAH: With a category 5? No they won’t be! Those poor people. Your Aunt Jackie lives near there in Florida, I’m worried for her.

 

ABIGAIL: You could call her and make sure she’s ok.

 

SARAH: Yeah, yeah that’s what I’ll do. I’ll call her as soon as she gets out of work at 5pm. In an hour, she’ll be out and I’ll call her.

 

After a pause, Abigail speaks again.

 

ABIGAIL: Where’s Valerie? She’s supposed to be home from work by now.

 

SARAH (sighs): Your sister Valerie, she’s something.

 

ABIGAIL (smiles): She’s mine. My best friend!

 

SARAH: Valerie, Valerie, Valerie. She hurt me bad today.

 

ABIGAIL (sighs, tired): How?

 

SARAH: I went up to her room after I got out work…

 

ABIGAIL: And?

SARAH (holds a plastic bag out to her from under the couch): And I found this in one of her purses upstairs.

 

ABIGAIL (looks in the bag and quickly looks away): M-Maybe it’s something else, mommy. V-Valerie would never do this. She’s not dumb, she knows the danger of cigarettes. I know her, she wouldn’t.

 

SARAH: If she wouldn’t, then why is there several packs of cigarettes in this bag?

 

ABIGAIL: I-I don’t know. Maybe there’s a reason.

 

Sarah wipes her tears. She removes the bag and returns it under the couch. She looks back at Abigail, who sits there in a daze, looking blank at the TV.

 

ABIGAIL: There’s gotta be an explanation for it, mommy. You remember what happened to us two years year, in the winter? When you thought I was skipping classes, everyday like Val to go out with friends? You saw my grades slip a little and thought it was because of friends? But it wasn’t, mommy. I was just stressed from daddy’s problem so I went to the library to sleep. I wasn’t getting sleep at home hearing daddy every night so I slept in there. It’s like that. There’s gotta be an explanation for this.

 

SARAH: The problem with Daddy was different. He was drinking too much and threw up at night. This is different! Your daddy will want to know about this when he gets home, so I’m going to tell him.

 

ABIGAIL: No, don’t do that. A-At least talk to Valerie before. You never know what she’ll see say.

 

SARAH: Yeah, you never know. But he needs to know about this, I can’t hide it from him.

 

ABIGAIL: He’ll get angry, you know he will. Daddy gets angry fast. He loses control, you-

 

A car door is heard closing. A few minutes later, enters John. Sarah looks at Abigail. Abigail gets up from the couch, kisses her dad hello and leaves the scene. John goes to Sarah, kisses her lightly.

 

SARAH: How was work, John?

 

JOHN: Hard, just like everyday. I get to work overtime tomorrow, so that’s good.

 

John sits on the couch with Sarah.

 

JOHN: Why did Abigail leave?

 

SARAH: To do homework

 

JOHN: That girl, always working hard. She needs to relax from so much school. (pauses) Where’s Valerie? Has she come back from work?

 

SARAH: John, I have to tell you something about Valerie. (grabs the bag from under the couch again, hands it to him). I found this when I went to her room today.

 

JOHN: (looks in the bag, shutting it immediately and sighing deeply) I was afraid this would happen. How could she do this?

 

SARAH: It’s those stupid friends from high school. The ones that she cut school with everyday. They made her like this. She was a clean, pure virgin girl then. And now look at her.

 

JOHN: How long has she been doing this?

 

SARAH: I don’t know. I don’t know, I really don’t know.

 

They lay in silent until they hear the dog barks and the garage door opens. After a few moments, Valerie enters the scene. She walks with long legs, taking big steps as she greets her parents and begins to leave the scene.

 

SARAH: Valerie, come back here now. Sit down on the couch, we have something we want to talk to you about.

 

VALERIE: Can we talk tomorrow? I really want to go to my room right now.
 

SARAH: Sit. Now. Are you thinking of going out today? Is that why you want to go upstairs? Because you’re not. Absolutely not, don’t even think about it.

 

VALERIE: No, mom. I’m not. I’m just tired, I want to go to sleep. Can I please go to sleep?

 

JOHN (in a stern loud voice): Val, sit. Now!

 

Valerie walks with slump shoulders to the couch. The light outside dims, leaving only the couch illuminated by their antique lamp. Valerie sits in front of her parents.

 

VALERIE: Can this hurry up please? I’m so tired.

 

JOHN: You’ll stay here as long we want, don’t you dare rush your parents. You hear me?

 

Valerie stays silent, moving her head down lazily. Sarah brings out the bag once more, laying on Valerie’s lap with a thump. Valerie gives an annoyed face, and looks from the bag to Sarah.

 

VALERIE: What is it?

 

SARAH: Open it. Look at what I found in your room. (she takes the bag and dumps it, and the contents fall out. On the couch, there was empty packs of cigarettes and rolling paper used for pot and cigarette ash)

 

VALERIE: Mom, I can explain. Those aren’t mine, I swear.

 

SARAH: (in a loud and harsh tone) Explain it then! How did these get in your purse?

 

VALERIE: It’s my friend’s. She asked me to hold it, so I did. I swear, they aren’t mine!

 

(John gets up from his seat silently and walks out of the scene. The sound of screaming slowly drowns out. The last thing heard is Valerie saying, “Ok, they’re mine.”)

 

Scene 2 - A Week Later

 

Abigail lays on the couch in pajamas, playing with her phone. Valerie comes dressed, and messes up Abigail’s hair

 

VALERIE: Hey, ugly. I’m going to use your shoes.

 

ABIGAIL: Where are you going? Mommy didn’t say you could go out when she’s not here, you know that.

 

VALERIE: I’m an adult, I can do whatever I want.

 

ABIGAIL (rolling her eyes and mutters): Not when you’re living in your parent’s place without paying for anything.

 

VALERIE (sighing): Shut up, Abigail. I’m getting enough from mom, I don’t need you too. Just don’t tell mom that I’m leaving. I’ll be back before she comes.

 

ABIGAIL: Are you going to smoke pot with your friends again? What if I tell mommy?

 

VALERIE (looking straight at Abigail, reaching for her shirt and pulling at her collar): If you do, you’ll see what happens.

 

Valerie exits the scene, rushing out. Abigail sits in silent, then later Sarah comes in.

 

SARAH: Abigail, get ready. We’re going to go grocery shopping. Tell Valerie to come down too.

 

ABIGAIL: V-Valerie still sleeping. She said she’s really tired. So let’s go without her. I’ll ask her what she wants when we get there.

 

SARAH (drops her purse on the couch): Are you sure she’s sleeping? Did you see her chest move and hear her breathe? You never know with people who do that.

 

ABIGAIL: Mommy, pot doesn’t kill you. There are stages to a high, that’s why she’s always sleepy.

 

SARAH (shaking her head): Don’t be so sure with your sister. If she’s done marijuana and cigarettes, who knows what else she’s done. Don’t put your hands on the flames for her.

 

Abigail stays silent. She leaves the scene and comes back to see Valerie and Sarah, yelling stand next to the couch.

 

SARAH (loudly): What were you doing out there? Why’d you leave?

 

VALERIE: I wanted to go out with my friends and I knew you wouldn’t let me. So I went anyway and I had fun. I had much more fun than I’ve had in days with you yelling at me all the time.

 

SARAH: I wouldn’t be yelling if you would stop doing so much bad things! Do you know how much trouble we could be in if the police found your car reeking of pot? Your dad would go to jail, did you know that? The car is in his name and you’re putting your family in danger. And then what are we going to do? Huh? You tell me Valerie!

 

VALERIE: Mom, I said I won’t do it anymore. It was a mistake. Please stop yelling.

 

SARAH (takes a deep breath and lets it slowly): Go upstairs both of you, I don’t have anymore energy to go to the market. Just go upstairs. I want to be alone.

 

Abigail and Valerie leave the scene, leaving Sarah on the couch crying.

 

SARAH: God, please tell me what to do. I can’t take this anymore. Everyday her car smells more and more of that drug. She doesn’t talk to us anymore, she doesn’t spend time with Abigail like she used to. Please, tell me how to make her change. Give me strength, give me the ability to help her. I want to help her. Please, help her see the error of her ways. Please God, please.

 

Scene 3 - A Month Later

 

Sarah and John are sitting on the couch with Abigail in the middle in pajamas.

 

ABIGAIL (looking out window): It’s raining hard outside today. I hope it doesn’t last long

 

JOHN: No matter what, we still have to go to work tomorrow. Bills don’t pay themselves, you know

 

ABIGAIL: I know, daddy. But I’ll help pay them soon, just wait a little.

 

Valerie enters the scene, dressed to go out.

 

VALERIE: Mom, can I go out tonight?

 

SARAH: Again, Valerie? With who, this time?

 

VALERIE: With some friends from work, we’re going to go

watch a movie.

 

SARAH: No

 

VALERIE: Why not, mom?

 

SARAH: Because the weather is horrible outside

 

VALERIE: It’s not that bad, mom. Please?

 

SARAH: No, that’s it.

 

VALERIE: Mom! I’m tired from working all week, this is my only day off! Let me go out with my friends and have fun please? They’re already on their way to pick me up!

 

SARAH (voice raising): Why? No one gave you permission yet.

 

VALERIE: Please, mom.

 

SARAH: Why can’t you understand that it’s dangerous outside? It’s raining and you can get into a car accident. The answer is no. That’s final.

 

VALERIE: Dad, can I go?

 

JOHN: Your mother said no, the answer is no.

 

Valerie storms up the stairs and off the scene. After a few minutes, John speaks.

 

JOHN: Dear, let’s watch the soccer game. I’m sure you want to see how Madrid is gonna win today.

 

SARAH: John, stop it. You know I hate watching it.

 

JOHN: How can you hate watching it? It’s so good

 

Abigail giggles and John holds her tight.

 

JOHN (sighs): Ah, I wish all my daughters were here to laugh with us.

 

SARAH: Stop worrying about them. You know how they are, John. We’re growing old and we can’t spend our lives worrying about them. They chose the life they live, not us.

 

JOHN: I wonder what we did so that they can become like this. Grace is hopping around from man to man with 4 kids. She doesn’t even acknowledge us as her family, her blood.

 

ABIGAIL: Forget about her, Daddy. She’s always been like that, you know that.

 

JOHN: I know, sweet. That’s why it doesn’t bother me as much as Val. Oh, Valerie, Valerie. How could she go down this path? What did we do wrong?

 

ABIGAIL: Nothing, Daddy. You didn’t do anything wrong.

 

SARAH: We had to have something. Did we give her too much love? That’s all we’ve ever given her, love. How else could she have gotten like this?

 

JOHN: I’m sorry to say this but (he pauses) I would prefer it if Valerie left the house.

 

SARAH: John, don’t say that.

 

JOHN: I’m sorry but it’s how I feel. She needs to learn how to be independent and stop mooching off of all of us. She’ll learn that she’s doing is wrong one way or another. Whether it’s now the smart way or later the hard way, she’ll learn eventually. We can barely afford this house, it’s enough stress and put her on top of it, it’s so much more. I can’t sleep at night anymore because of this.

 

ABIGAIL: Daddy, stop saying that. She’s upstairs, if she hears you she’ll get angry.

 

JOHN: I don’t care! I don’t care whether she hears me or not. In fact, call her down now. Go get her, I want to talk to her.

 

Abigail sighs and gets up from her seat. She walks up the stairs and exits the scene. Valerie enters the scene, angrily coming down the stairs with Abigail staying at the top of the stairs, in scene to the left.

 

VALERIE: What is it? (Sarah stares at Valerie)

 

SARAH: Look at me. Have you done anything today? Cigarettes? Pot? Drinks?

 

VALERIE (sarcastically): Yeah mom, I’m high right now and I have a bottle of liquor up in my room.

 

SARAH: Knowing you, I wouldn’t be surprised.

 

VALERIE: Mom, stop attacking me. It’s everyday with you! Stop, just stop! I said I would stop, it’s hard to stop, it’s so hard so please mom stop.

 

JOHN: Don’t yell at your mother. Who do you think you are?

 

VALERIE: Dad, please not you too. Please, I’m tired. It’s my only day off and I want to go sleep please I don’t want to fight today. I won’t. I’m going upstairs. (begins to walk upstairs)

 

JOHN: Get back here, Val! Don’t you dare walk away when you’re being spoken to!

 

Valerie walks back to the couch, standing in front of it.

 

VALERIE: I don’t want to talk right now, Dad. Please just let me go upstairs. Please I want to sleep, I want to sleep.

 

JOHN: Who knows what you do upstairs that you’re always tired. You’re always sleeping, always out, and never with your family.

 

VALERIE: Dad, please. Not now. I’m an adult, not a baby anymore

 

JOHN (harshly): Don’t tell me to stop. If you want to be an adult, pay your bills or get out and learn how hard it is to live in the world. You would know if you weren’t high half of the time!

 

SARAH: John, that’s enough!

 

VALERIE: Fine! I’ll leave! I’ll leave and never come back. Is that what you want?

 

Abigail comes down the stairs, clutching Valerie’s shirt and tears falling down.

 

ABIGAIL: No, Val. Don’t leave. Please don’t leave. You’re my best friend, my only friend. Please, don’t leave us. They’re just mad right now, don’t leave now. Please, Val. Please

 

Valerie holds her tight, crying.

 

VALERIE: I’m sorry Abigail. I’m sorry. But they don't want me here and I can't deal with this anymore

 

Valerie leaves the scene. Abigail sits on the couch, crying hysterically. Valerie comes back, a duffle bag in hand. Abigail runs to her, clutching to her leg.

 

VALERIE: Abigail, let go.

 

ABIGAIL: No! Please don’t do this, Val. Don’t leave, please! I beg you, don’t!

 

SARAH (crying): A mother never wants their child to go. But if this is what you want then go

 

VALERIE: I don’t want this, mom! You two leave me with no choice.

 

JOHN: You have a choice. Either stop it now and stay and continue to disobey us and leave. We don’t want you to go, Val. I would never want my little girl to leave. I-I just can’t control myself when I’m angry. You know that. I haven’t been the same since my drinking days. But I’m trying to get over it and so should you.

 

VALERIE (crying): I’m trying! I’m really trying, Daddy. It’s so hard, so hard to stop. But I’m trying and you’re telling me to leave. I don’t want to leave, I love my family. I know I’ve made mistakes, I’m human! I know I’ve hurt you. I know it and I’m sorry. Do you know how hard it is to resist pot when I smell it all the time when I’m driving? It’s so hard to not take the swig of alcohol when it’s offered to you but I’m trying. I haven’t smoked, done pot or drank in almost a month. You’re always accusing me of something I haven’t done! But I know the truth, I’m clean and still trying, daddy.

 

SARAH: Do you see how much we’re suffering, Valerie? Look at your sister! Look at your parents! We don’t want you to go, understand that. Please stop this Valerie, we want our Valerie back. Put down the duffle bag, sweetheart. Stay.

 

Valerie pauses, staring at her parents. She then kneels down to Abigail, holds her close. Abigail is crying hysterically, shaking from her nerves. 

 

ABIGAIL (softly): Please, Valerie. Listen to them. Listen to me. I cried every day when you went on vacation last summer. I don’t think I can take it if you leave for God knows how long. Please, stay. Please.

 

VALERIE: It’s ok, Abigail. I’m not going anywhere. I could never leave my best friend. It’s ok, don’t cry.

 

ABIGAIL (in a muffled whisper): Promise?

 

VALERIE: I promise. (looks up at Sarah & John) I’m sorry, mommy and daddy. I’m sorry. I’ll change. I swear to God, I’ll change. I’m so sorry for everything I’ve done. I’m sorry.

 

John and Sarah kneel and hug Valerie and Abigail, who continues to cry softer now.

 

SARAH: It’s ok, Valerie. It’s ok. Just please change.

 

JOHN: Change for the better, sweetheart. So this won’t ever happen again.

 

Valerie nods her head.

 

VALERIE: I will, Daddy. I swear, I’ll change. I’ll change for the better. I will.


-BLACKOUT-

 

FIN


The author's comments:

This one is very close to my heart because it's very personal to me. The dialogue are more or less based on actual conversations.

I hope people will understand the struggle from both perspectives of an addict, from the suffering family and the recovering addict. It's a journey and there has to be reliability and trust to get onto the other side unscathed.