The Black Dot | Teen Ink

The Black Dot

By paigers12345678910 BRONZE, London, Other
paigers12345678910 BRONZE, London, Other

"Happiness is the absence of wants."
-Ronda Rousey

INT.TERRYS APARTMENT. EVENING
The apartment is small and mostly empty. Not mostly empty because it's new, mostly empty because the owner lives alone and doesn't do much. We are shown the apartment. It's mostly tidy, filled with the average possessions of a lonely man in his early thirties.

CUT TO:
The front door.

A young man in jeans, sneakers and a hoodie enters the apartment. This is TERRY.He puts his things in their appropriate places by the front door and walks immediately to his bedroom.
                                                                         CUT TO:
TERRY'S BEDROOM:
The room is bare. There are no pictures of loved ones or posters of any interests. There is a queen sized bed and a bedside table holding a glass of water, an alarm clock, and a copy of a book entitled:Aunt Henry Ate Her Son.
He sits on his bed and begins the process of changing into his pyjamas. From the neck hole of his shirt, Terry notices a small black dot on his wall. The wall is white and otherwise bare, the dot is perfectly black and perfectly symmetrical.

CUT TO:
INT. THE OTHER ROOM.
The other room is not a room so much as a box of bright whiteness.The walls, floor and ceiling are all so identically bright white that it is hard to distinguish where edges meet to form corners. In this room stands a young man who is the mirror version of Terry. Physically, this man looks exactly like Terry but he wears all black. This doppelganger is TERRY TWO. He stares at the white wall in front of him, and pulls a small black dot (identical to the one on Terry's wall) out of his pocket. He sticks it to his own white wall.

CUT TO:
INT.TERRY'S APARTMENT.EVENING
Over the next week, Terry comes home, goes to his room to change, exactly the same process every time. But as each day goes by, the black dot grows continuously grows until it's about Terry's height  in diameter. On the last day ,when it's as big as he is, Terry steps over to the black dot and hesitantly touches it. It has a consistency like that space goo stuff they sell in little tubs in museum gift shops. He pokes it with his finger, and gently pushes it in. His finger slowly goes through until it disappears up to the joint. Terry pulls it back and looks at it in wonder. His finger is unscathed and as clean as it was before.
                                                                            CUT TO:
INT. THE OTHER ROOM.
Terry Two is just stepping back from having placed the black dot on his wall. The black dot immediately grows to the same size that it is after a week in Terry's room.  He briefly sees Terry's finger poke through, then disappear again. He steps towards the black dot on his wall.
                                                                            CUT TO:
INT.TERRY'S APARTMENT. EVENING
Another day for Terry, but seconds later for Terry Two. Terry enters his apartment and walks to his room. He begins to change. He manages to take his shirt off before Terry Two enters the bedroom through the black dot. Terry begins to speak, excited, but Terry shoots him with some kind of sci-fiesque gun that makes Terry disappear forever. Terry Two  then tosses the gun through the black dot on the wall. He sits on the bed and begins to change into Terry's pyjamas. He watches the black dot shrink on the wall until it has gone completely.

Fade out:
End credits