The One That Got Away | Teen Ink

The One That Got Away

Cast:
Megan  Megan is a 20 year old American college student studying abroad in Paris with her best friend Stacey. She is very tall and lanky. The two share a very small apartment together on the northern part of the city. Megan is blonde with green eyes. She was very popular in her small hometown. She is super outgoing and is always down for an adventure. Megan is coming home from a day out on the town. She is wearing a flowy dark purple sundress paired nicely with a scarf and flats.
Stacey  Stacey is 20 year old college student. She is about 5’6” with dark brown hair and dark eyes. She is traveling with her best friend and has been very happy to get away from her small hometown college. She has been best friends with Megan all her life but they could not be more different. Stacey is very shy and reserved. They two have always been compared against each other and Stacey is happy to be in a place where people don’t know them. Megan and Stacy have dinner plans together for the night. Stacey is ready and waiting for Megan to get home.
Milo:  Milo is a beautiful Parisian with golden skin and dark features. He is 33 and over 6 feet tall. Because of his looks, women are always approaching him and wanting to talk. At the subway stop Milo noticed that Megan could not take his eyes off of him. He approached her, started talking and the two hit it off. Coincidently he had the same stop as Megan and he walked her home. The two agreed they would meet for drinks later.
Setting:
This scene takes place in Megan and Stacey’s small apartment. There are water marks on the ceiling and the old drab wooden floors squeak with every step. All of the walls in the apartment are coated with a deep purple color. As you walk in the door from DL you first meet the couch. It is a rather small thing with side tables on each end. Behind the living room space is the kitchen, CR. The counter is cluttered with boxes of assorted food and the sink is piled high with dirty dishes. An old beat up table sits center stage, taking up half the space in the apartment. At UR and UL there are two doors which lead to the girls’ bedrooms. A door for the bathroom is located at UC.

Scene 1
Megan enters the apartment dropping her purse, keys and a shopping bag by the side table to the left of the couch. While humming a tune in her head, she walks over to the sink in the kitchen to grab a drink of water, completely ignoring Stacey sitting on the couch reading. Stacey watches Megan as she walks into her room and returns with different outfits in hand.
Megan: (twisting her hands to situate the many heavy hangers in her hands) Hey Stace, which one of these should I wear tonight?
Stacey: (marking her place in her book and setting it to the side) Aren’t those dresses a little much for dinner? I thought we were just going to our favorite café down the street?
Megan: (with a puzzled look on her face) No, I said we were getting drinks.
Stacey: I’m positive we agreed dinner but let me change and drinks it is.
Megan: Wait, I’m so confused. I’m going out with Milo alone. I’m sorry but won’t that be awkward if you just tag along?
Stacey: Who is Milo?
Megan: I just told you, he’s the guy I just met on the subway, beautiful, long dark hair, does any of that ring a bell?
Stacey: (annoyed) You literally said nothing about this. You walked over to the sink and just stared off into space smiling.
Megan: Oh girl, that’s my bad. So yeah, I’m going out with Milo. We just met on the subway. Stacey he is the most beautiful creature I have ever laid eyes on. We hit it off immediately! We even live in the same neighborhood! He walked me to our building!  We are going downtown to get drinks and finish getting to know each other. I’m so excited, now help me pick out a dress. I want to look really good but I don’t want to show too much and him think I’m easy.
Stacey: (rolling her eyes) What am I going to do tonight? Sit here another weekend waiting up on you? We had plans and now you’re just going to ditch me?
Megan: What?! I don’t remember us making plans!
Stacey: (pointing her finger across the room) That note over there on the fridge. Dinner, 6 o’clock, Café de Flore.
Megan: Ooohhh, that’s what that is for. Well, um. I’m really sorry, maybe tomorrow night? I promise I will go out with you. I just really need to go out with Milo tonight. I think there might be something here!
Stacey: (turning away to grab her book and sits back down on couch) Whatever. Do you really think this is a smart idea? Think about it, you are going all the way across town with a guy you just met to grab drinks? That doesn’t sound right to me.
Megan: (getting angry) I do know him! I’m sorry that I can’t hang out with you tonight but you just seem jealous to me, you haven’t met any guys and I can’t help that.
Stacey: You know what go out, I don’t care. No, I’m not jealous. I’m pissed that you won’t hang out with me! You’re my best friend! We came to this city to spend time together and study and you are just running around with guys and I’m tired of sitting here waiting for you to get home. I didn’t travel thousands of miles just to wipe your tears when the next guy doesn’t call back. Go, go on. I don’t want to be around you right now.
Stacey gets up, grabs her book and heads for her bedroom. She closes the door rather loud to make a point. Megan stands in the living room, contemplating if she should go out to meet Milo. She changes into a new black dress and heads out the door.

Scene 2
Megan is walking quite fast down the sidewalk to get to the bar. Because of her small argument with Stacey she is running late. She walks into the dimly lit bar and cannot seem to find Milo. It is not that busy but she makes a couple laps around the place with her eyes. She asks a bartender if he has seen a tall, golden skinned man with dark hair. She is shocked when he says no. She decides to wait it out and sits at a high top table off to the right. She thinks to herself how Milo could be even later than she was. A half hour passes and Megan has become very frustrated. It has been an hour since the time they agreed to meet. She decides to leave and go home. She walks into her apartment and doesn’t see or hear Stacey.
Megan: (speaking out loud) I guess she went out. Whatever.
She turns on the television and plops onto the couch with a glass of wine.
Newscaster: WANTED FOR SUSPECTED KIDDNAPPING. A man was seen dragging a girl out of an apartment on the northern side of the city tonight. If you have any information please call the number below.
Megan: (shouting) STACEY, ARE YOU HEAR?! STACEY!
Megan gets up to get her phone to try and dial Stacey. She hears a squeak in the floor and the bathroom door beings to open. Megan turns around to see Milo.
Milo: (quietly) You were late. (Steps out into the room further).
Megan: (very confused) What are you doing here? We agreed to meet at the bar? Wait, hold your thoughts, I need to call Stacey. Have you seen the news about this girl being kidnapped?
Megan steps off into the kitchen trying to reach Stacey by phone. Milo takes the television remote and rewinds to watch the news clip Megan is talking about. A cell phone rings, the noise is coming from Stacey’s room.
Megan: This is weird, she must have left her phone here.
Megan opens to the door to Stacey’s room to see it a mess. Her book she was reading was across the room on the ground, the white curtain has been ripped of the wall and a lamp lies broken on the ground. Megan turns around to see Milo dressed in all black walking rather fast towards her. He reaches out and puts a hand over her mouth. Megan attempts to put up a fight but can feel the chemicals entering her lungs and the room slowly becomes black.