On the Road to Lockwood | Teen Ink

On the Road to Lockwood

By mwburgess13 BRONZE, Jolon, California
mwburgess13 BRONZE, Jolon, California

Scene 1
Lights turn on. Will(17) is laying down in a hammock in a little poor town called Kemlick. He wakes up as the sun begins to rise and is dreading to start the day. His day job includes hunting, cooking, and working for a middle class family, the Thorps. One day, Will plans to change the fate of his life and go to a city that would change his whole future.
(WILL is in the middle of the woods hunting talking to himself)
WILL: After today I should be close enough to my goal of 240 pence. I will get my money, take everything I’ve got, and leave this incompetent place!
Will continues to search for animals.(Will exits stage) Will has been living in Kemlick for his whole life; not experiencing a new job, home, or the feeling of being in a restaurant or bar.(Lights dim and Will returns onto stage with a deer on his shoulder)
WILL: Heyya Sir Thorp! I got your deer!
SIR THORP: That’s great! Thanks lad!
WILL: That’s my job! Well Sir Thorp, I hit my goal and I think I am going to head out to Lockwood today; that is if I have your consent…
SIR THORP: Of course you do lad! I hope all goes well on your journey and that you have a great new start on your life! We really are proud of you son. Before you depart on your journey, you should try out the Dragon Bar! It will be you first time, you should get a drink!
WILL: Well I don’t see why not! I’ll head over there right now!
(Sir Thorp exits the scene and Will starts to walk towards the Dragon Bar in the town) Will is unsure what to do but precedes to the bar counter.
WILL: (nervous) Er..Can I have a beer?
BARTENDER: Well of course! That’ll be a farthing.
YOKES: Hey kid. I am Yokes. I come to this bar everyday but your face it new to me. Where did you come?
WILL: (nervous)I..uh.. this is my first time in a….
YOKES: Well then, let’s celebrate!!
Yokes challenges Will in a drinking contest. They both drink about 10 full mugs of beer and Will taps out.
WILL: (being very drunk) Thanks a lot Yokes! I’ll see ya later!
YOKES: Nice drinking kid!
Will goes outside of the bar and passes out in the middle of the dirt road. (Three men enter the stage) Three men see Will on the ground and begins to take all of his belongings. Two hours later, Will wakes up and realizes that he has been robbed. Will gets very angry and frustrated.

Scene 2
After calming down, he decides that he should try out his luck and continue his journey. Will struggles reading a map but successfully navigates himself to Woodsland, a town 35-miles away from Kemlick. Will goes to the Black Horse Inn and goes towards the innkeeper’s assistant, Krissy(17).
WILL: I want a room.

KRISSY: (offended by Will’s rudeness) I’ll get you one. You’re not around here are you?
WILL: Nah! I am heading to Lockwood, I need not tell you why.
KRISSY: (amazed by his response) You’re going to Lockwood?! I have always wanted to move there! (excitement subsides)Neverhad the chance though, did not want to go alone.
WILL: Sorry to hear that. How much will the room be?
KRISSY: It’ll be 1 shilling!
WILL: (astonished by the unexpected price, Will reaches in his bag) Dang! I have only a shilling! Never mind that! I’ll sleep outside. (angrily exits the inn)
KRISSY: (excited) I’ll tell you what; I’ll will let you use all of my tools, money, and skills if you take me to Lockwood!
WILL: (very frustrated) What! No! No! No! (thinks about it again) Grgh!! I am I supposed to decline!!
KRISSY: Great! I’ll go get my belongings!
Will is very annoyed and mad about the decision he just made. Krissy and Will depart on their journey with Krissy’s dagger, club, and 210 shillings.
WILL: (trying to start a conversation) So how long have you lived in Woodlands?
KRISSY: I have been there for about 7 years now. I ran away from home when I was 10.
WILL: Why did you do that?!
KRISSY: I wanted to take advantage of my life and do what I have always wanted to do. I was considered an orphan and Elisabeth, the innkeeper, took me in and had me work for her.
WILL: Well your life is a lot better than mine. I have been working for Sir Thorp and his family until I was able to pick up an axe; meaning that I have been working every day for about 12 years. I just barely saved up to a pound (240 shillings) and wanted to start my new life.
KRISSY: (jokingly) What happened?! You got robbed?!?!
WILL: As a matter of fact, I did! They took everything! My money, my knife, and the bracelet my mother gave me before she died!
KRISSY: (feeling very sorry) I am so sorry, I did not mean it that way!
WILL: Don’t mention it. I probably deserved it. I got drunk and passed out in the road.
KRISSY: (trying to break the awkward silence) Well according to your map, we should be a whole day away from Lockwoood!
WILL: Well we should make camp here; we’ll get some rest and start fresh and ready on the morrow. We probably only have 2 hours of sunlight left.
KRISSY: You stay here and I’ll go get some water and berries.
WILL: Suit yourself! (Will begins to fall asleep)
Scene 3
Will wakes up and realizes he was asleep for about half-an-hour. He gets on his feet right away and looks around for Krissy. Will calls for Krissy and precedes to run towards the path see took. Will frantically runs through the woods and sees her next to the river.
WILL: Thank goodness you are safe! I thought I lost you already!
KRISSY: (feeling awkward) Thanks for coming…I guess. We should head back, I managed to get a handful of blackberries and a cup of water.
Will and Krissy return back to their spot and see that two men are searching through their belongings. Determined to not let it happen again, Will runs towards the men and knocks both of them to the ground. He grabs the club and hit on of them in the head. The man that is still conscience tackles Will. Krissy enters the brawl and kicks the man off of Will. The scared man, runs away and leaves his partner behind. Will and Krissy grab their stuff from a bag the unconscious man was holding and they also grab a bag full of coins. They flee from the scene right away!
WILL: (heart beating fast and out of breath) That was too close! We should never leave our stuff again.
KRISSY: You do know that you grabbed something that does not belong to us right?
WILL: They tried to steal something from us! They deserve to lose that! How much is in it anyway?
KRISSY: I do not know; maybe a pound? I cannot get this stupid band of the top of it!
WILL: (surprised) A band?! (Will grabs the bag away from her) This is my money! This “band” is the bracelet from my mother! Those thieves were the ones who robbed me earlier!
KRISSY: That’s splendid! Well, we should keep running! For all we know they are in the woods spying on us!
WILL: You’re right!
With the adrenaline in his veins, Will begins to run at full speed! When at what seems like 30 seconds, Will turns around and sees that Krissy is gone. He runs back, and finds a piece of parchment in the road. The writing says, “You have until dark to return what you stole from me! If not, she dies!” Will is faced with the decision of trying to find her and save her life in less than 5 minutes, or continue his trek and leaves the “dead girl” behind. Will makes his decision and bolts into the woods. Trying to find a trail, he realizes a path of pennies leading to a think grove of trees. Will starts picking up all of the coins on his way.
WILL: (talking to himself) She has to be the one who left those coins!
Scene 4
Krissy is tied up by rope to a tree. Eric is walking around a fire with a knife in his hand.
ERIC: (sarcastically) Oh poor girl! Your mother didn’t teach you not to take anything from other people, especially money. (He slaps her across the face)
KRISSY: (crying) Leave me alone! I do not know who you are but we’ll give you back your money and you can leave! Please do not kill me!
ERIC: (sharpening his fine knife) My name is Sir Eric Lunich! You may know me as one of the best outlaws in the land! I have committed many crimes; some are common such as the murder of 3 Royal Guards, robbery of the Lockwood Bank, or even the attempted murder of the King himself!
KRISSY: You monster! After you get your money, I’ll turn you in myself!
ERIC: Young lady! In my note, I never said anything about letting you two free! (mocks a sad face)
KRISSY: Will will come for you and…and
ERIC: And what! Kill me?! (sarcastically) I am so scared! Do not worry, I will also kill you knight in shining armor!
Scene 5
WILL: (Hears the talking and spots Eric and Krissy, starts coming up with an attack plan) I will use the club to grab Krissy’s bag that is about 3 feet away, I will grab my knife, then I will charge at Eric and knock him with the club and if necessary, stab him with my knife!
Will begins to deliver his attack plan and so far, it is successful. He manages to get the bag and the knife and is preparing to make his charge.
KRISSY: Sir Eric…please spare our lives!
ERIC: I am far from giving mercy to others now!
WILL: Eric! (knowing his name because he heard Krissy call him) Leave her alone and I will give you back my money!
ERIC: Your money?!
WILL: Yes! You robbed me in Kemlick!!
ERIC: I do recall that but because you took it from my possession, that would be considered stealing!
Eric turns around and charges at Will and jerks his knife at Will’s chest. Will starts to run away from the enemy and tries to hit Eric with the club. Will missed and Eric cuts a 2 inch long wound into Will’s forearm. Will cries out in pain. Will hits Eric right in the stomach and tackles him; both of them dropping their weapons. They begin rolling back and forth on the ground and Eric succeeds to out Will in a choke hold. Krissy begins wailing and tries eagerly to escape from the bands that restrain her. Will tries to grab any object that he can. He feels a rock, grabs it and hits Eric straight in the head. Will grabs one of the knives and frees Krissy.
WILL: We have to get out of here!
KRISSY: Will! (She pushes him out of the way and takes the hit instead and is knocked unconscious, with her head bleeding)
WILL: Krissy! (turn around and resumes fighting) You will pay for that!!
Will runs towards Eric, dodges the club swing, and stabs Eric in the stomach.(Eric was not killed) Too weak to defend himself, Eric is pulled to a tree and is tied very tightly.
WILL: Krissy are you okay?
KRISSY: (Barely conscience) Yes I am, where is Eric?
WILL: Is taken care of. We got to go get some medical aid. (Will puts Krissy’s arm over his shoulder and takes her to the nearest town, about a half-a-mile away.)
Scene 6
Will and Krissy successfully goes to the hospital and is aided almost immediately. Will goes straight to the bounty office and tells one of the men there where Sir Eric Lunich was. The bounty hunters found Eric, still alive, and took him to the Longstrom, the city with the castle and King to face for his consequences. Will goes to a bar while waiting for Krissy to be stitched. He goes to the barkeeper.
BARTENDER: What would you like?
WILL: Two beers please.
BARTENDER: Well okay then! (hand Will a mug of beer) What brings you to Lockwood?
WILL: (drops his glass) I am in Lockwood?!?!
BARKEEPER: (awkwardly) Of course you are?!
Will pays the bartender and leaves the bar without drinking at all. He runs to Krissy to tell her the news. When he gets there, Krissy was getting ready to leave.
WILL: Krissy we are in Lockwood!!
KRISSY: We are?!?!
WILL: (calmly and proudly) For the first time in our lives, our life begins. (Will begins thinking) If I did not turn back and tried to save Krissy, she would be likely dead and I would be lost. I did the calculations wrong and if I continued my journey, I would have been miles off course.
3 months later
WILL: (Kneel down and presents his bracelet) Krissy, will you marry me?
KRISSY: Of course I will!!
They lived happily ever after and had the life they had always dreamed of with a new home, job, and family.

I have always interested in medieval time plots. This is my first play script I have made!