Family Drama | Teen Ink

Family Drama

June 3, 2015
By mmcdade12 BRONZE, Franklin, Wisconsin
mmcdade12 BRONZE, Franklin, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Characters: Mother (Mary), Father (Harold),
their Daughter (Tina),
and the mother's best friend Lily.

Starts off with mother and father arguing in the kitchen early in the morning.

Mother (Mary): I can’t believe you would do this to me! You come home late and expect things to be all rainbows and daisies, but it’s not! Why were you out so late Harold?
*The mother walks back and forth across the kitchen.*
Father (Harold): I already told you Mary, I was out with some friends drinking. I’m sorry if it bothered you, I didn’t mean to hurt you in any way. Just wanted to have fun with my buddies.
Mary: Don’t give me any more lies! I know where you were last night. I saw the contacts in your phone, the late night call to that girl Katelyn. Please explain to me what that is all about Harold.
Harold: Oh, her? That’s Katelyn...She is a new co-worker of mine and she’s always asking me for help at work. That’s all sweetie.
Mary: What could she possibly need help with at 2 in the morning Harold?!.
*There’s a brief pause*
Harold: How should I know, she usually calls me without me asking.
Mary: Usually? And you just happen to be up and ready each time she calls?
*Harold looks down at his feet and scratches the back of his neck.*
Harold: I’m so sorry. I can explain.
Mary: Get out! Get out of my house!
Harold: But Mary, it isn’t what you think, she asked me to come over one night to help her out, so I did, and I wasn’t expecting anything to happen, it was really nothing!
Mary: I’m going to tell you one more time Harold to get out of my house.
*Harold looks at Mary in grief, and then turns towards the door and slams it shut. Mary begins to cry.*
*Daughter enters scene*
Daughter (Tina) : Mom, I heard the door slam shut, is everything okay?
Mother (Mary): Don’t worry Tina, everything is fine. Me and your father are going through some difficulties, but I don’t want you to worry sweetie, now go get ready for school.
Tina: I think I should stay home with you. Do you want me to make you anything? A ham and cheese sandwich? It’s your favorite.
Mother: Thank you for the offer sweetheart, but you go get ready for school.
Tina: Fine. 
*Mother calls best friend Lily*
Lily: Hello? Who is this? You know, it’s way too early to be calling me right now.
Mother (Mary): Hey, it’s Mary. Don’t you have caller ID?
Lily: Oh, hey girl! I do, but I couldn’t see, I don’t have my glasses on because someone called me way too early.
Mary: Sorry about that, but something happened.
Lily: Uh oh! This sounds serious, what happened?
Mary: Harold came home late last night and I found out he’s been having late night calls and going over to his coworkers house around 2 in the morning.
Lily: No!
Mary: I just don’t know what to do. How could he throw a great marriage away like that?
Lily: Well let me tell you one thing, he is not worth crying over if he does something like that. What are you thinking of doing?
Mary: Well, he basically admitted to going over there late at night, without telling me, and doing the unthinkable. So I’m thinking divorce.
Lily: I agree, but what about Tina?
Mary: I’ll have to tell her when she gets home from school, she already saw me crying and feels like there’s something wrong.
*Lily gets off the phone with Mary.*
*Scene ends.*