Flash Back to Heartbreak | Teen Ink

Flash Back to Heartbreak

By Brooke Reed BRONZE, Oronogo, Missouri
Brooke Reed BRONZE, Oronogo, Missouri

Flash Back to Heartbreak

A Play in One Act

Cast of Characters

Audrey Jane            Depressed girl

Dr. Chinly Reid           Therapist

Paul Johnson                    Audrey’s 28 year old boyfriend

Dr. Farrah Hall        Young doctor, specializes in depression

Ethan Robins            Audrey’s ex boyfriend

Waiter                 Waiter

Scene 1

SETTING:     Reid Therapy room 311. There is a couch, desk, chair, bookshelf, four windows that overlook the city, a chair, the walls are plain.

DR. CHINLY REID:     (Sitting in his chair, legs crossed, glasses on, pen and clipboard in hand) Hello, Miss Jane. I am Dr. Reid, but you can call me Chinly. Why are you here today?

AUDREY JANE:     (Sitting on the couch, legs crossed, staring out the windows) Please, just call me Audrey. I’m here because I fell in love when I wasn’t capable of loving myself. I’m still not. I’m sad, doctor, yet I don’t know how to feel anything else anymore. It’s so hard to explain.

DR. CHINLY REID:     I’m used to complication. You can explain anything to me, it’s what you are paying me for.

AUDREY JANE:     (chuckling) I understand that’s what you do. But my story is sad, all of it from the time I was 15 to now, and I’m 25 for goodness sake. Out of those ten years,for two of them I had only ever felt like I was really living.

DR. CHINLY REID:    Why so long?

AUDREY JANE:     (crossing  towards the window) My mom and grandparents died when I was 15. My dad started to drink. He drank so much, he died from it three years later. I attended school 6 years for my masters in writing after high school. I graduated and moved here to New York.  I write for the New York Times now. my boss asked me to see you. Anyway, after I got on my feet I felt, alone. I knew no one, and then I got into a relationship with a man who treated me horribly.

(EXIT ALL CHARACTERS.)

Scene 2

SETTING:    Six years earlier. The Owl Pine Apartments, Apartment 403. Snow on the ground. Audrey stands in the corner crying. Audrey’s face is bruised Ethan stands across the room, pouring another drink. The room is dark and cold.

ETHAN ROBINS:     I don’t get why you are so upset, you’re the one who brought this on yourself.

AUDREY JANE:    Just stop! You’re not making this better.

ETHAN ROBINS:     Because you ruined us! You left me! I had to go get you and drag you back.

AUDREY JANE:    You call kidnapping me ‘dragging me back’? You’re crazier than I thought!

ETHAN ROBINS:    You’re lucky I don’t do worse to you!

AUDREY JANE:    I already have a black eye, broken nose, and bruises all down my back, you coward!

ETHAN ROBINS:     (slapping Audrey to the ground and pulling her up by her hair) I worked so hard for you! You didn’t even put in an ounce of effort! I thought we had plans! I was going to take care of you and whatever kids you wanted! You left me and all of our possibilities!

Scene 3  

SETTING:    Reid Therapy, Audrey stands at the window, watching the outside world, frozen and conflicted. Dr. Reid is standing next to the bookshelf.

AUDREY JANE:      I blacked out. The police officer said he slammed my head on the window, and someone outside of the room heard us yelling, then the window cracked. I woke up in the hospital with 57 stitches in my head, and they wrapped my ribcage up because he kicked me so hard while I was blacked out.  He’s been in and out of jail, now they are holding him for killing his wife and kids the same way he about killed me.

DR. CHINLY REID: Well, the good thing is he’s gone. What is this I read about you being a bulimic? I would like to know more about that.

AUDREY JANE:    Oh yes, well that was a few years after Ethan. It all started when I watched a movie. The girl in the movie had bad anxiety like I do. When she was stressed, scared, or sad, she did it and I thought it makes me feel better. It does, but nothing bad ever happened to her like it has me. She never had to have it fixed, she lived her normal life. When my bulimia caught up to me, I finally noticed it was only a movie, but bulimia is an addiction that not very many people can overcome and I didn’t think I could. Not until I was almost out of rehab for it. It wasn’t the classes or the friends and doctors and nurses. It was a boy.

Scene 4

SETTING:    Family rehab center. Audrey’s walking the garden with Dr. Farrah Hall.

DR. FARRAH HALL: I want you to meet someone, Audrey.

AUDREY JANE:    Okay.

DR. FARRAH HALL: (waving over to Paul) This is Paul Johnson. He has lived a life like yours, yet in a different form. He said he wanted to meet you.

AUDREY JANE:     Okay. Why?

DR. FARRAH HALL:     He asked, and I didn’t see a problem with it. Do you mind? I have other patients to see. If you have any questions, I’m sure he could answer. He’s very intelligent man, a former employee, and patient here.

(Dr. Farrah Hall exits stage.)

PAUL JOHNSON:     (sitting next to Audrey) Hello, I’m Paul.

AUDREY JANE:    I guess you already know who I am.

PAUL JOHNSON:     (laughing) Yes. Sorry to be so stalkerish.

AUDREY JANE:     (smiling) I guess that’s okay. What does she mean, former employee and patient? She said I could ask you anything. Oh darn, my pearls broke. (tosses them in the trash can.)

PAUL JOHNSON:    Yes, I worked here for two years. My fiance got very sick with cancer, and she died in the last eight months that I was here.

AUDREY JANE:    Oh, I’m sorry. Why were you a patient here? You don’t look like a bulimic to me.

PAUL JOHNSON:      No, I am not. I ummm. I tried to join my fiance after she passed. I tried more than once and came very close too. But Dr. Hall worked with me for about a year, and now I’m “cured,” as they told me.

AUDREY JANE:    I would apologize for asking you these personal questions, but you already know why I’m here.

PAUL JOHNSON:    Understandable. I was planning to tell you myself anyway.

AUDREY JANE:    Why?

PAUL JOHNSON:    Because I wanted to ask you to dinner tomorrow night.

Scene 5

SETTING:    Therapy room 311. Audrey is on the couch, looking through one of the children’s books smiling. Dr. Chinly Reid sits in his chair, scribbling on his clipboard.

AUDREY JANE:    You see, doc, this book makes me sad, but it also makes me smile. I have this same book back at my house.

DR. CHINLY REID: Why is that, Audrey?

AUDREY JANE:     Because, doc. I went to dinner with him that night I went to many dinners with him.

Scene 6

SETTING:       An Italian restaurant. Audrey walks in wearing a black dress. Paul stands wearing a suit.

PAUL JOHNSON:     (pulling out Audrey's chair) You look amazing.

AUDREY JANE    (sitting): Why thank you. You clean up rather nice too.

PAUL JOHNSON:     (sitting across from her): Thank you.

AUDREY JANE:     This place is lovely. I've never been here.

PAUL JOHNSON:     Neither have I.

AUDREY JANE:      So where did you find it?

PAUL JOHNSON:     A buddy of mine owns it. He's been trying to get me to bring his cousin here, but she's not my type. 

AUDREY JANE:     Oh, you have a type?

PAUL JOHNSON:     Not entirely. She's the type I wouldn't dare take home to my mother.

AUDREY JANE:     Oh, well I don't have a mother to take anyone home to. My mother and grandparents died in a car accident, and my dad drank his life away after that, so it's just me. But I'm sure you knew that if you looked at my file.

PAUL JOHNSON:   No, I didn't. I glanced at your file, but I didn't go in detail on it. I saw your picture, that's what made me glance at it.

AUDREY JANE:     Oh. Just my picture made you want to ask me to dinner?

PAUL JOHNSON: (smiling) No, actually not at all. It made me want to see you in person.

AUDREY JANE:     Why’s that?

PAUL JOHNSON:     Because you look like my sister. My sister and fiancé looked alike in a way. My sister died of the same cancer as my fiancé, but my sister was 16 when she died. The year I met my fiancé.

AUDREY JANE:     Oh, I'm so sorry.

PAUL JOHNSON:     It's okay. God had bigger plans.

AUDREY JANE:     I guess. If it wasn't for them then you probably would have turned your nose up at me. (laughing)

PAUL JOHNSON:     Probably. I was so very much in love with her. 

AUDREY JANE:     I've never been in love.

WAITER:     May I start you off with wine?

(Paul raises his eyebrow at Audrey.)

AUDREY JANE:     No, thanks. I would like a water, though.

PAUL JOHNSON:     Sweet tea for me, please.

WAITER:    Would you like the chef’s choice or something off the menu?

PAUL JOHNSON:    Chef’s choice.

AUDREY JANE:    Me too please. (smiling at Paul)

(Waiter leaves.)

PAUL JOHNSON:     (Paul slides a black jewelry box across the table)

Scene 7

SETTING:     Dr. Chinly's office.

AUDREY JANE:     That night was magical. We walked through the park. He walked me back to the apartment at the rehab center, kissed me on the cheek, and asked me on another date Friday. I said yes. We were both broken, and we fit into each other. We couldn't stay away from each other.

DR. CHINLY:    So what happened to him?

AUDREY JANE:    We bought a little cottage a year later. We had been engaged, and I said if it rains August 18th that year then I would marry him. Two weeks after we had moved into our little cottage and it poured rain. A few months later, we were expecting a  baby. The baby kept Paul strong. He bought some land and built my dream house right outside the city. We had a lot of animals on a ranch a few miles away. I just wanted a horse or two. But no, he wanted a ranch.

AUDREY JANE     (Walks across the room takes a deep breath looking at her feet.) Two months after, he was born he died. Paul got even more sick. I didn't even notice, because I was so caught up with his brother in an affair. It was a sweet little affair. His brother held my hand through everything. I wanted to end it after the baby was gone, but to be honest I just wanted my baby and Paul’s brother was my comfort. He filled the hole that was empty. Before it was just for fun. Paul died two years ago, right in Bentley's room, too. He liked to go in there and just rock in the rocking chair. I had gone to the grocery store, and when I came back I thought he had just fallen asleep in the chair. After that the affair kept going and I thought I was in love with Paul’s brother. I thought I was in love with him the entire time I was with Paul, and sometimes I still think I am.

DR. CHINLY:     So what have you been doing for the last two years? What happened with you and Paul’s brother?

AUDREY JANE:     I walked around my house for about two months. I sat in the rocking chair and lost a lot of weight. Paul's mother came around every once in awhile, and then she stopped, but his brother and I had seen a lot of each other. One day we went out to lunch and he told me I should sell the house and, I did. I haven't been back since. It still hasn't sold. I live in that little cottage we bought when we first moved in together, but that's for sale, too. I want to go to the house but I’m scared, and I have no friends or family to go with me. Paul’s brother left me three months ago, and I still want him back. I had never felt so strong, happy, and healthy in my entire life, not even with Paul and Bentley. Of course I love my son and husband, but not like Paul’s brother.

DR. CHINLY:    Well, we’re friends. We can go if you would like. I would love to get a feel for your life with Paul and Bentley.

AUDREY JANE:     (looking over in excitement) You would go with me? When can we go?

DR CHINLY:     Tomorrow if you would like. I can meet you here at ten, we can ride over there together.

AUDREY JANE:     Okay! I'll be here at 10. It will be such a relief to see where I was happy one last time.

Scene 8

SETTING:     Audrey's old house. Audrey and Dr. Chinly are standing on the stairs to the porch.

DR CHINLY:    This is a beautiful house.

AUDREY JANE:     Thank you.

DR. CHINLY:    Do you want to go in?

AUDREY JANE:     Yes. (she walks in. Dr. Chinly comes behind her, stopping in the doorway. Audrey walks into her bedroom and picks up a black jewelry box.) Oh, (Audrey begins crying, putting her hand on her heart). Oh, Paul!

DR CHINLY:     I’m sorry, is this too painful for you?

AUDREY JANE:    I just, I just, I loved him so much. He loved me too, though. He loved me more than I ever could have loved him. If I would have loved him more he would probably be here. Him and Bentley both. I never knew what love actually was because I had become so numb and selfish. I loved him so much.

(Audrey falls to the ground. Dr. Chinly rushes over.)

DR. CHINLY     (holding her in his arms):  I don’t understand why she would die, she has known that he was gone already.

PAUL JOHNSON     (now as a ghost): The smell and memories of her husband and son moved through her. He fixed not only her pearls but also her heart the day they met. She died of heartbreak, of course, but usually you die almost immediately after your loved one dies from the shock of their death. No, she died two years after my death, after she realized that I had always loved her and that she always loved me. I never stopped loving her until the day that I died. And I was waiting for her. then once again the day she joined me.

(Audrey stands up, Dr. Chinly still crying on the floor. Audrey joins hands with Paul, and they kiss and exit together.

In this story there is a young lady whose life has been broken down and pushed her to the edge but she has managed to stay on top. She makes very poor decisions in her life and karma has come to bite her in the butt. In the end she finally learn all her bad decisions were to help her learn what it is like to have found true love and become attached to someone and be there forever.

prettymystic said...
on Feb. 11 2016 at 12:38 pm
prettymystic, Atl, Georgia
great job keep it up